Ryan Nassib Prediction Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ryan Nassib Prediction Thread

I hear that. But as a fellow Pats fan, want to be able to pull for the kid...

As a Pats fan maybe you guys shoudl look into drafting him, father time is slowly creeping in on Brady thank god.

And you have just listed every reason why I thoroughly enjoy making fun of the Bills.

Well, that and
70-58027-Y.jpg
i wear zubaz to bills games.

it's instant popularity, i tell you. and so comfortable.

buffalo fans are in on the joke, there aren't people walking around in zubaz now like in the 80s

why do these NFL knuckleheads think guys with so so college ratings are going to have anything better than so so NFL ratings?

gabbert, ponder, locker... you could just look at their college ratings and scratch them off your list.

now you have some work to do evaluating guys with good college ratings. they might not all be good but at least they have a chance. you have to go back a long time to find a guy with a so so college rating that became a good nfl qb
Good call on that Locker guy. If only there had been someone that was willing to be honest with these NFL teams about him.

Now, if you are asking me the best FIT for Nassib? 28 to Denver. First round, but low. Learn from an all time great...become THE guy in a couple years (a la Rodgers)...keep the Orange shoes...that said, doubt it will happen...they are close enough they want a piece for now

I see the Bills picking someone else at 8 and then moving back INTO the 1st round (which is going to be very doable)
i would rather they just waste the 8th pick on nassib than trade up for him in the 20s

these idiots will presume that they're going to be good this year and that trading next year's first isn't so bad because it won't be a high pick

then the bills will suck again and not have any first round pick to replace nassib in a year with a bunch of qbs who could

I see the Bills picking someone else at 8 and then moving back INTO the 1st round (which is going to be very doable)

Most years I would agree but the Bills need a lot of help and only have 6 picks goign into the draft. Going to be hard for them to trade back in when they have so many holes to fill and only 6 picks.

Something tells me that he'll slip past buffalo [they have too many needs with that #8 pick to go QB], but that a team will trade back into the late first round, a la Brady Quinn / Brandon Weeden. KC, Jacksonville, and Buffalo are all candidates.

jax is run by idiots too.

talked themselves into blaine gabbert 2 years ago for no good reason.

why do these NFL knuckleheads think guys with so so college ratings are going to have anything better than so so NFL ratings?

gabbert, ponder, locker... you could just look at their college ratings and scratch them off your list.

now you have some work to do evaluating guys with good college ratings. they might not all be good but at least they have a chance. you have to go back a long time to find a guy with a so so college rating that became a good nfl qb

I really don't get all of the Nassib hate that comes from a lot of people out there. For comparison's sake, I wanted to take a look at a random QB who was drafted in the last 5 or 6 years and see how Nassib stack's up against them. I went with Matt Ryan. Here is a comparison of them from their final years at BC and Syracuse, respectively.

M. Ryan
Pass Attempts: 654
Completion Percentage: 59.3
Passing Yards: 4507
Passing Yards/Attempt: 6.9
Adjusted Passing Yards/Attempt: 6.5
Passing Touchdowns: 31
Interceptions: 19
Passing Efficiency Rating: 127.0

R. Nassib
Pass Attempts: 471
Completion Percentage: 62.4
Passing Yards: 3749
Passing Yards/Attempt: 8.0
Adjusted Passing Yards/Attempt: 8.1
Passing Touchdowns: 26
Interceptions: 10
Passing Efficiency Rating: 143.3

So Nassib has a better completion percentage, higher passing yards per attempt, higher adjusted passing yards/attempt (by a lot), a better TD to INT ratio and a better Passing Efficiency Rating. The only stats he lacked in were passing yards and touchdowns, although not by much, especially considering the fact he had almost 200 less passes than Matt Ryan.

Sometimes I think the Nassib hate is almost this contrived thing where he isn't flashy enough and doesn't really wow anyone (looking at you Kurt Warner). When you look at the numbers, I don't really know how anyone can say that he isn't any better than a 4th round pick. Makes no sense to me.

For a little bit more, here are some excerpts from the NFL.com draft profiles of both Matt Ryan and Ryan Nassib:

Matt Ryan: "More of a short-to-intermediate passer, but he does a good job of going through progressions and is limber enough to make those throws while on the move...Has very good game-management skills, making quick decisions while generally showing proper judgment...Lacks the arm strength to challenge the deep secondary, as his long throws tend to flutter or hang up long enough for defenders to attack the ball in flight...Weakest area of his game is exposed when he attempts to fire the deep ball, as the pass tends to lack accuracy

Ryan Nassib: "Strong, quick release, gets the ball out in a hurry on hitches and slants...Accurate to all parts of the field when in rhythm...Comes off initial read, can look off safety to come to the opposite side of the field...Competitive player who directs his teammates well and does not give up on any game...Must be more consistent transferring weight through the throw, relies on his strong arm at times and comes up short on outs or sails throws over the middle.

I dont hate Nassib at all. I think he could grow into a good middle tier NFL QB. BUT...the problem is he is a baaaad pick at #8 and its really going to inhibit the Bills if they spend a pick that high on him.

If Marrone absolutely loves him that much, then pick an elite player at 8 and trade back into the early 20s and grab him. Despite not having a ton of pciks, still Makes more sense to give up a mid rounder than to spend a #8 on Nassib.

As a Pats fan I'd be thrilled if the Jets took Nassib. Sure, it would ruin his career, but the Jets would suck even more.

As a Pats fan, you will never have to worry about the Jets regardless as long as Belichek is the coach.

I dont hate Nassib at all. I think he could grow into a good middle tier NFL QB. BUT...the problem is he is a baaaad pick at #8 and its really going to inhibit the Bills if they spend a pick that high on him.

If Marrone absolutely loves him that much, then pick an elite player at 8 and trade back into the early 20s and grab him. Despite not having a ton of pciks, still Makes more sense to give up a mid rounder than to spend a #8 on Nassib.

Idk if it would be a great idea to trade back into the first round for the Bills. They only have 6 picks this year and are seriously lacking depth at a number of positions. Best case scenario would be to trade back from the 8th into the 20's if they really want a QB with their first pick. Have to find a willing partner to trade with though, which I think is going to prove harder this year than it has in years past.

This reminds me a lot of the Minnesota selection of Christian Ponder a few years ago. Rumor locally was that they really wanted Jake Locker, and when he went a few picks ahead of expected to Tennessee, they didn't want to screw around and just drafted the next highest QB on their board, Ponder.

IMO, a lot hinges on what their expectations for Kolb are. If internally they believe that they can win with him, then I'd avoid going QB at #8 or trading back into the first round. Take a developmental QB in the middle rounds, and use your first two draft picks to improve the talent base.

But if they view Kolb as stop-gap, then they probably need to go get their guy [whichever QB that is--Nassib, Manuel, or Barkley]. I can't envision Marrone taking Geno Smith after how we've curb stomped WVU these past three years. I know that Smith to the Bills is popular in mock drafts, but my gut tells me that Marrone is the one coach who wouldn't want Smith, since he has a great handle on all of his weaknesses.

I really don't get all of the Nassib hate that comes from a lot of people out there.

I don’t see people hating on Ryan. In fact, I believe I speak for everyone by saying we wish nothing but the best for Ryan.

But looking at things objectively, there isn’t a single franchise QB’s in this draft. And just because a team has a need doesn’t mean they should use a top pick for a middle of the road player. Now DM probably knows something that we don’t. But I’d prefer my coach to use top picks on top players.

That isn’t hate. It’s called making a rational decision.

I really don't get all of the Nassib hate that comes from a lot of people out there. For comparison's sake, I wanted to take a look at a random QB who was drafted in the last 5 or 6 years and see how Nassib stack's up against them. I went with Matt Ryan. Here is a comparison of them from their final years at BC and Syracuse, respectively.

M. Ryan

R. Nassib

So Nassib has a better completion percentage, higher passing yards per attempt, higher adjusted passing yards/attempt (by a lot), a better TD to INT ratio and a better Passing Efficiency Rating. The only stats he lacked in were passing yards and touchdowns, although not by much, especially considering the fact he had almost 200 less passes than Matt Ryan.

Sometimes I think the Nassib hate is almost this contrived thing where he isn't flashy enough and doesn't really wow anyone (looking at you Kurt Warner). When you look at the numbers, I don't really know how anyone can say that he isn't any better than a 4th round pick. Makes no sense to me.

For a little bit more, here are some excerpts from the NFL.com draft profiles of both Matt Ryan and Ryan Nassib:

Matt Ryan: "More of a short-to-intermediate passer, but he does a good job of going through progressions and is limber enough to make those throws while on the move...Has very good game-management skills, making quick decisions while generally showing proper judgment...Lacks the arm strength to challenge the deep secondary, as his long throws tend to flutter or hang up long enough for defenders to attack the ball in flight...Weakest area of his game is exposed when he attempts to fire the deep ball, as the pass tends to lack accuracy

Ryan Nassib: "Strong, quick release, gets the ball out in a hurry on hitches and slants...Accurate to all parts of the field when in rhythm...Comes off initial read, can look off safety to come to the opposite side of the field...Competitive player who directs his teammates well and does not give up on any game...Must be more consistent transferring weight through the throw, relies on his strong arm at times and comes up short on outs or sails throws over the middle.

Good post. Matt Ryan is a big exception to my rule, that's for sure. but 2007 was a long time ago in terms of how college offenses have changed.

Nassib is a good comparison to him where scouts have to be seeing something that qb rating doesn't measure well.

looking at the numbers isn't perfect but i think it's less wrong that trying to talk yourself into a guy who doesn't have the numbers. you might miss out on Matt Ryan but you might be spared from Locker and Gabbert

This reminds me a lot of the Minnesota selection of Christian Ponder a few years ago. Rumor locally was that they really wanted Jake Locker, and when he went a few picks ahead of expected to Tennessee, they didn't want to screw around and just drafted the next highest QB on their board, Ponder.

IMO, a lot hinges on what their expectations for Kolb are. If internally they believe that they can win with him, then I'd avoid going QB at #8 or trading back into the first round. Take a developmental QB in the middle rounds, and use your first two draft picks to improve the talent base.

But if they view Kolb as stop-gap, then they probably need to go get their guy [whichever QB that is--Nassib, Manuel, or Barkley]. I can't envision Marrone taking Geno Smith after how we've curb stomped WVU these past three years. I know that Smith to the Bills is popular in mock drafts, but my gut tells me that Marrone is the one coach who wouldn't want Smith, since he has a great handle on all of his weaknesses.
agree about smith. mock drafts with smith to buffalo make me even more skeptical of them and i was skeptical to begin with.

M. Ryan

R. Nassib

Love that line about not giving up on any game. It's that type of thing that makes me think he has a chance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

The reason Nassib is a first round pick is because he is a quarterback. No quarterback short of RGIII or Andrew Luck is ever guaranteed to be good. Nassib could be a hall of famer, or he could never leave the bench in his career. That is what makes the NFL draft great. Nobody on this board knows how good he will be. Nobody legitimately knows if he will be a good pick at 8 or a bad pick at 33. He could get drafted and play as good as Luck did last year. Hes a tough, smart guy, and has a good head on his shoulders. I would't be shocked if he was the first quarterback taken. Anyone who takes Barkley is stupid. Every two or three years we hear about these USC quarterbacks in the draft, yet none of them have accompished anything in the NFL. Geno is talented, but not sure if she has the head on his shoulders. The more i look at it the more i think Nassib is the safest bet at QB in this draft.

Good post. Matt Ryan is a big exception to my rule, that's for sure. but 2007 was a long time ago in terms of how college offenses have changed.

Nassib is a good comparison to him where scouts have to be seeing something that qb rating doesn't measure well.

looking at the numbers isn't perfect but i think it's less wrong that trying to talk yourself into a guy who doesn't have the numbers. you might miss out on Matt Ryan but you might be spared from Locker and Gabbert
nassib is 2" shorter.

was a little stunned reading matty ice's analysis. thought he was more in the Eli, rivers & ben class of talent. he seemed to fall a little short of that in those reviews, imo.

Ryan's so good in the play action role, too. Having spiller and FJ in Buffalo could really allow him to thrive. Doubt Marrone will be stupid enough to get CJ the ball only 10x a game like Chan did. Ryan just has to manage that O and take loads off the rbs when needed. He'd be good for Buffalo, assuming that's where he ends up

As a great big FFFFFFFF YOOUUUUUU to the Jets and Bills...

The patriots use there first pick (29th) and draft Ryan NAssib to groom as Brady's replacement. They trade Mallet for whatever they would've needed in the 1st round.

The patriots use there first pick (29th) and draft Ryan NAssib to groom as Brady's replacement. They trade Mallet for whatever they would've needed in the 1st round.
Mallett is a better QB than Nassib. No chance this would happen. We need linemen, safeties, and receivers, and have 5 draft picks. Not taking a QB.

Nassib will go in the first round. It's just a matter of if the Bills can trade down or not. I'm sure they would love to if they can find a trade partner. If not,he goes at 8. Marrone and Hackett are sure to run a very similar playbook in Buffalo imo. This would give Ryan a chance to hit the ground running and shorten the learning curve. It also gives Buffalo a qb that already knows the playbook. Either way,it's a good day to be Ryan Nassib!

There is a lot of definitive opinions on this board about Nassib's overall grade. I'm not sure, based on the history of the NFL draft, anyone can be definitive on anything.

I'm not going to bet against Ryan. He deserves that based on how many definitive opinions he rendered inaccurate the past 3 years.

The Patriots are probably trading Mallett today...but even then Nassib still doesnt make sense. Brady is there for 4 more years. Too long to begin grooming a replacement. If the Mallet trade happens for a 2nd rounder, and they pick up another pick by trading out of 29 (which I think they will), they'll scoop up a 4th or 5th round QB...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom