Class of 2019 - S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC

Why? Because kids haven't gone to camps and been given stars by "recruiting services". I'd rather trust the evaluation ability of the coaches seeing kids perform in person. Steven Clark and Jarveon Howard certainly didn't have stars by their names or many offers before receiving an offer from SU.

Clark was very good -- Howard, again, has not played a meaningful snap at SU.

Love the optimism and I am optimistic too, but there's a difference between being optimistic and trusting every single thing 100%.

This kid plays at a huge school in Texas and has one D2 offer. I can absolutely see why some people would be skeptical.

Love the optimism and I am optimistic too, but there's a difference between being optimistic and trusting every single thing 100%.

This kid plays at a huge school in Texas and has one D2 offer. I can absolutely see why some people would be skeptical.

Nice post. That pretty much sums up my position 100%

Does the belief without evidence thing extend to recruits as well? If so, I'm pumped about this guy!

Oh jeez, don't be a baby. Improvement doesn't occur in a vacuum. We are competing in conference with teams that stack 4 and 5 star recruits. Some people get all geeked-up over 2 star kids with no offers because they run fast. I don't.

Hewett should be plenty proud of his accomplishment and I cant imagine what anyone here posts effects him one bit. He's Orange now and I am rooting (sp) for him to succeed.

It'd be nice if someone could put together a list of "Camp commits" since Marrone. I don't recall any of them being stellar players for us, but I could just be missing someone.

LOL
I'm not being a baby, just tired of you and your ilk spewing garbage every time we get a kid that isn't a 4 or 5 star recruit.
Dino has clearly had success with camp offers and kids they evaluate at camps. We have no reason to get all depressed or shout the sky is falling.
Again, I'll trust Dino and staff that have seen this kid countless times over anyone on this board. Just because this kid didn't shell out $$$$ to go to camps to force the recruiting services to grade doesn't mean we should ingore him.

The thing you have to remember too, although not popular amongst a lot of people especially on this board is that these kids are committed to us now but we can recruit over them. I think the staff is taking players that they like and have seen in person right now because that’s what they have to work with and arent getting a ton of interest from recruits so why not take the players that are interested that you have seen in person and were impressed with. With that being said, say we go 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3...that’ll open some eyes, higher quality recruits will become interested and this staff has shown in past classes they are not afraid to tell committed players that they are moving on from them in favor of better recruits. So who knows how many of these players will actually sign with us when it’s all said and done, but if we have a good season I bet a few of these kids don’t end up signing with us.

I'm not skilled at evaluating football talent, so I trust that the staff did their due diligence here. With that said, if you're a recruit who has one offer and it being a D2 school, you would hop at the chance to play major D1 ball before they finished saying we've offered you. Hope this pans out for SU. This is the epitome of a project.

The thing you have to remember too, although not popular amongst a lot of people especially on this board is that these kids are committed to us now but we can recruit over them. I think the staff is taking players that they like and have seen in person right now because that’s what they have to work with and arent getting a ton of interest from recruits so why not take the players that are interested that you have seen in person and were impressed with. With that being said, say we go 7-5, 8-4, or 9-3...that’ll open some eyes, higher quality recruits will become interested and this staff has shown in past classes they are not afraid to tell committed players that they are moving on from them in favor of better recruits. So who knows how many of these players will actually sign with us when it’s all said and done, but if we have a good season I bet a few of these kids don’t end up signing with us.
That's harsh, but I can believe it.

Thanks for repeating the reality of the situation that many still refuse to acknowledge.

^^^Truth

Makes sense and is the landscape of the game these days. I don't fault anyone for being skeptical about this recruit or any recruit with just a D2 offer, though.

The funny thing is both philosophies being framed in this thread are nothing more then crap shoots. Being a 4 or 5 star is no guarantee of success (even if we get one to come)and for those saying trust the coaches assessment, that is no guarantee either. Ask the Clevland Browns fans, who have paid coaches and talent evaluators, how well the “trust the coach philosophy” works. There are no guarantees in life but death and taxes. Anyone looking for guarentees in recruiting should find new interests. Also I love the coach Mac story but let’s be clear for every Coach Mac story, there are a hundred crash and burns.

Name me one kid that committed to Babers that they recruited over. I think you are confusing players transferring out that were recruited by the previous staff.

But there wasn't this much kvetching about Howard and Clark when they committed. Again I'll wait and see what happens with Hewett and his recruitment.

But there wasn't this much kvetching about Howard and Clark when they committed. Again I'll wait and see what happens with Hewett and his recruitment.

Clark had offer and visited Florida. Howard had offers from Tennessee & Mississippi State, and rumors of an Alabama interest. This guy has a D2 offer and plays at a big Texas school that gains a lot of exposure. Apples and oranges.

Clark had offer and visited Florida. Howard had offers from Tennessee & Mississippi State, and rumors of an Alabama interest. This guy has a D2 offer and plays at a big Texas school that gains a lot of exposure. Apples and oranges.
Not saying that I don’t see the point you’re trying to make, but to be fair, Clark didn’t have that offer until after he was committed to Cuse. He had very low level D1 offers when he committed, then gained more exposure and better offers came quickly after. I think that’s some of CuseLegacy’s stance, just to see how Hewett’s senior season goes and see if some other offers come later like they did with Clark.

Man the misery train is out in full force on this thread.
Clearly the staff knows what they are looking for and has a way better eye for talent then anyone on that has rained on this kids commitment parade.
For know just need to believe that the kids we are bringing will do well in the ACC.
“Misery Train” is right. PTSD I tell ya’...PTSD!

I’ll take his speed: and let the coaches figure out where he plays. We had, I think, three running backs were shifted to defense this year.

One big difference...this klid plays at enourmous highschool with tons of exposure in Texas. Everyone is well aware of what they think he can or can't do. Clark and Howard played at much smaller programs with much less exposure.
I am very aware of HS football in Texas where there are tons of high school programs with tons of exposure.
I'm still going to reserve judgement and wait and see what happens his senior year of football.

Name me one kid that committed to Babers that they recruited over. I think you are confusing players transferring out that were recruited by the previous staff.
Recruiting over happens all the time at all programs and in different scenarios. I think Cuse was commenting that it could happen and he is 100% right in that regard if we go bowling and have a winning season.

Once upon a time there was a contingency of fans in Syracuse that complained and whined and shouted that a coach should be fired. Thankfully the powers that be at SU knew better than the fans. So I will defer to the coaches when it comes to evaluating talent because I know for darn sure they know more than I do.

And before I start judging Hewett I think I will wait and see how his season plays out. Wait and see if other schools don't start coming after him.

FWIW, i'm not one of those people. But I also remember, to the contrary, the demigods of this very board (or prior incarnations) touting the Meldrum-baumbach-mckenzie o-line haul as the turning point, then guys like Mike Mele, etc. This sites recruiting gurus are a lady who is a twitter following wizard, a D3 tennis coach, a HS coach from Rochester, a former HS coach from central NY, a former d3 o lineman, and some fellow who really enjoys ginger ale and tubas. I dont say that to insult any of those folks, whose insights and contributions I truly due appreciate (as their perspective and insight is often much more informed than my own). But I'm a former d-1 recruited athlete. And i am not a slouch at evaluating athletes either (football players may be different).

There is nothing wrong with skepticism. Dino has gotten more of the benefit of the doubt here than anyone i can remember. I dig a lot of what Dino has done. His philosophies are really on point. He communicates well. He has the look/charisma. But he's also spent his career as a mercenary. His last two stops were places where he had more talent than his competition (which he didnt have to recruit). He has appropriated an offensive system from a soul-less football guru. His team got curb-stomped three straight games against peer programs to end last season, and lost at home to a mid major. There is evidence (both good and bad). We're entering the realm of "put up or shut up."

As i said. Hewitt is commited. He has good measurables. The staff obviously likes him. Who cares what i think. I hope he tears it up.

Last edited:
I mean if we are being honest there’s been a few...a lot when he first took over which are different circumstances but still the case nonetheless, that class alone there were at least 8 kids the staff told they were going in a different direction and they no longer had a schollie to Cuse...like I said more understandable given the circumstance but still happened that way...even just literally last cycle the linebacker Jack Smith who was committed for awhile we told him we were moving in a different direction. We are outsiders and may not think it represents the program well but you gotta understand it’s a business and these coaches need wins for job security. You are limited to the amount of spots per class and if a kid comes up that you need a spot for cause he is More talented someone has to be left out...happens everywhere. Same way with recruits and schools, kid can be committed to Syracuse forever but if a program like Alabama comes calling late, do you blame the kid for leaving?

No matter. I’ll have to fact check but kid played in Martin’s league from what I understand so Martin has first hand knowledge. Got the kid up to camp in front of the staff, proven speed, solid offer. Secondary player. No brainer and will help to continue to mine the state.

It was fact checked and while i do like him as an athlete , there are a few things that make you scratch your head:
* being this talented and fast in a recruiting hotbed, why one offer, a d2 offer this late in the cycle?
* while i trust Dino's eye, previous staffs would have been highly scrutinized given his lack of offers in such a hot recruiting state.

I hope its a situation that somehow we were the first to discover him and he picks up other big-time offers and i eat crow.

Max preps has him listed at 6-1 185. Watching his spring film he looks like he has good size compared to kids around him. Plays mostly FS or Nickle covering the slot. Will be interesting to see if he can play corner.

North Shore is in Houston, Galena Park district. Big big football school who play the likes of Katy, Manvel, and Westfield. They were 9-4 last year.

MaxPreps - America's Source For High School Sports...

North Shore won the 2003 class 5A/Division 1 state championship in football, 2015 Class 6A/Division 1 state championship in football.

Has produced a handful of NFL players. Wiki says 6 and a couple of NBA guys.

I found a bunch more 100m times and he’s a solid sub-11 kid.

I like this recruit, i do, however it is a bit odd that at that school, with that exposure in a fb rich state; not 1 d1 school g5 or p5 has offered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom