Class of 2019 - S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 S Dorian Hewett (TX) Committed to USC

Whether it's SU or USC it's a long way from home for him. Have to believe weather might be a factor here.
well if that's the case and weather is a factor then we're probably already out of it

I mean, it seems to somehow work for every other program (basketball and football) that dips into the high school ranks to grab an assistant. It makes me think it must be really tough to recruit kids to Syracuse. No doubt, part of that is our recent history. The recruiter has a bunch to overcome, though, to make a connection with recruits. It makes you think that Monroe is really special. The fact that they use him as a national recruiter now shows you what the head man thinks of him. Maybe Martin is laying the groundwork now for a big haul a year from now. Who knows? But he definitely hasn't wowed us on the recruiting trail yet. Surprised we're not hearing from more Manvel kids at least.
It's about recruiting connections in our recruiting area and/or recruiting ability. Think Monroe and Ferri have it. Not sure how many others on our staff do.

If you watched the state championship game Hewitt was bad in run support, showed good speed, but not good at making tackles. Safeties in our system need to be good at both. Wish the young man well, but we have better players here, and recruited Nunn.
Thinking this may have played a part. Maybe Hewett knew that there were better players ahead of him. We all know how deep the secondary is. With Cisco, that is one safety position locked up for three more years. Jonas was very highly regarded coming out of high school and there have been rumors he looks good in practices. Nunn, Trill, Smurph, Stritz, and Coley might all be ahead of Hewett. THats not even mentioning Foster.

Thinking this may have played a part. Maybe Hewett knew that there were better players ahead of him. We all know how deep the secondary is. With Cisco, that is one safety position locked up for three more years. Jonas was very highly regarded coming out of high school and there have been rumors he looks good in practices. Nunn, Trill, Smurph, Stritz, and Coley might all be ahead of Hewett. THats not even mentioning Foster.

I doubt it. I love syracuse. I think our football program is poised for big things. But, i think a usc offer is just more attractice than syracuse. The weather and tradition are hard to turn down. The only reason we’d have a shot is because dino>>>>helton.

Last edited:
If you watched the state championship game Hewitt was bad in run support, showed good speed, but not good at making tackles. Safeties in our system need to be good at both. Wish the young man well, but we have better players here, and recruited Nunn.
Well, since you are saying he will never improve with coaching, I guess you are right.
Of course, if he has the raw materials to be a good player, and the coaches believe that they can help him improve to the point of helping the SU FB team in the future, then perhaps you are wrong.

I mean, it seems to somehow work for every other program (basketball and football) that dips into the high school ranks to grab an assistant. It makes me think it must be really tough to recruit kids to Syracuse. No doubt, part of that is our recent history. The recruiter has a bunch to overcome, though, to make a connection with recruits. It makes you think that Monroe is really special. The fact that they use him as a national recruiter now shows you what the head man thinks of him. Maybe Martin is laying the groundwork now for a big haul a year from now. Who knows? But he definitely hasn't wowed us on the recruiting trail yet. Surprised we're not hearing from more Manvel kids at least.
2019 was too soon. It takes more than one recruiting cycle and one winning season from SU for him to be successful pulling Texas kids to NY. That class has been wooed by other schools for years. And most Texas kids probably want to play in Texas. Game day at UT is crazy. Currently I see from a quick look 14 offers for Texas players in the 2020 class. Give him a little time. Monroe and Ferri have been college recruiters for years with established connections.

The thing about Texas is that everyone recruits Texas. The top shelf kids will go to Texas/A&M/LSU/OU/Alabama. The national recruiting schools like Stanford/ND/Ohio St pick off guys every year. The next tier goes to TCU/Baylor/Ok St/Arkansas's of the world. My point isn't to quibble about tiers and the teams on them - it is simply to point out that a large swath of the college football world flocks to Texas for the deep well of recruits that are churned out every year. I went and check the 247 composite for 2018, and the 50th ranked player in the state of Texas was a composite 4 star player. The number 200 ranked kid in Texas went to Colorado and also had a Texas Tech offer, among other non power 5 offers.

The point is nearly EVERY school has a coach/coaches with strong Texas ties. Texas is just too important to too many programs. Plenty of programs have former Texas high school football coaches on their staffs. Plenty of programs have guys with decades of experience recruiting the state. Syracuse wasn't going to simply hire Martin and suddenly have an in with the state and pulling lots of quality recruits. The RB Syracuse is about to sign briefly played for Martin and goes to his former school - which is a very limited "in". This isn't a criticism of Martin in any way, shape, or form - it is a comment for those who think his hire, simply by virtue of being a former HS head coach, opens up a Texas pipeline. It doesn't. If anything, all it does is put Syracuse on more equal ground with dozens of other programs that recruit Texas, only Syracuse still has the major disadvantages of distance and perceived bad football branding (which, to be sure, is changing quickly with DIno).

So Dukes we should have pursued more even though the writing was on the wall with Clemson. Now Hewett we should back off and no longer pursue because he took an OV somewhere else.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
I didn't say that. He decommitted and we are waiting on him to recommit, no way. Move on and take someone who may want to play for us. Or wait until next recruiting class and go for a better and higher rated. As far as Dukes goes I said we did what we could for what time we had. If we had him earlier on the radar, we may have end up with a better result...

Why does this narrative continue?

Hewett camped. Coaches laid eyes on him and worked him out. They wanted him badly enough to offer him early. They took his commitment. They worked to get his re-commitment.

Pretty sure they think Hewett can excel in the system and do not share the belief that we have better players here.

Why does this narrative continue?

Hewett camped. Coaches laid eyes on him and worked him out. They wanted him badly enough to offer him early. They took his commitment. They worked to get his re-commitment.

Pretty sure they think Hewett can excel in the system and do not share the belief that we have better players here.

People say whatever fits their narrative/conspiracy theory. If the staff offers a kid, it's not a fluke.

[QUOTE="rackman18, post: 2895924, member: 4374" He decommitted and we are waiting on him to recommit, no way. Move on and take someone who may want to play for us. [/QUOTE]

You can't do well at recruiting with this approach.

He’s enjoying his moment. My college announcement was like: I better get my applications in otherwise I’m going to get shut out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom