Sabonis was open all night against Utah | Syracusefan.com

Sabonis was open all night against Utah

Antz201

Scout Team
I went and saw all the shots that sabonis made against Seton Hall, and there was very little defense. He did not look fast, but I can see us frustrating him. Robertson can jump way higher than him for rebounds. Check out his points. This is the Seton Hall video.

Last edited:
That was seriously a tourney game? Everyone was just standing around, nobody diving for balls or anything. I haven't seen a game like that since the nba all star's and this is way more important. Was it all you can eat taco night?

I went and saw all the shots that sabonis made against Utah, and there was very little defense. He did not look fast, but I can see us fustrating him. Robertson can jump way higher than him for rebounds. Check out his points.
Those are the Seton Hall game highlights. The Pirates had no answer for him.

I agree the defense looked bad, but he looked like a guy who'd feel comfortable setting up in the middle of the zone and either taking it to the basket, shooting a short jumper or kicking it out for a three. Lydon might be out best bet in the middle against him. Giving up lots of size but more mobile. I could see Coleman picking up two quick fouls and sitting for long stretches. And I'd be worried if we collapse too much he'll find an open shooter on the perimeter.

ClamOtto said:
I agree the defense looked bad, but he looked like a guy who'd feel comfortable setting up in the middle of the zone and either taking it to the basket, shooting a short jumper or kicking it out for a three. Lydon might be out best bet in the middle against him. Giving up lots of size but more mobile. I could see Coleman picking up two quick fouls and sitting for long stretches. And I'd be worried if we collapse too much he'll find an open shooter on the perimeter.

This.

Lydon is our best shot against him. He's got way more quickness than Sabonis. He'll make those moves and Lydon has the best shot at recovering. Not to mention making him work on D.

Those are the Seton Hall game highlights. The Pirates had no answer for him.
Sorry about that, here is the Utah Video.. Utah is like a pop tart, Soft in the middle.

Last edited:
These can't be displayed... NCAA
I know it's very stupid, just click watch on YouTube. He is ok, but he does not walk on water. Soft Defences basically.

I think Sabonis will likely kill us, but I also don't think we'll be nearly as tentative in terms of contesting his shots as Utah and Seton Hall were. They basically just put their hands up and let him shoot over them, whereas Lydon, Roberson, etc. will surely leave their feet and try to block his shots. He seems to be very comfortable with the up-and-under though, which could be a big counter to our guys going for blocks.

At the end of the day though, I think we win if we shoot the 3 well and can rebound. If we only do one of the two, we lose. And if we do neither, we get blown out. I don't think it's all that complicated.

I predict Coleman has a great game defensively... Big guys like him tend to play better against big guys with similar to size where they can use their physicality. Most of his fouls come from being a bull in a china shop hopefully playing against a bigger guy will alleviate that. I think Sabonis will get his but he'll have to work for it and it won't be efficient.

Sabonis is simply astounding fundamentally. Foot work, patience, positioning, posting, reposting, keeping the ball high, multiple ball fakes. Dude does everything you wish big guys would learn. Very impressive but he isn't super athletic or quick. He's not driving by any of our guys although he looks like he could make that FT line jumper all day long.

Sabonis is simply astounding fundamentally. Foot work, patience, positioning, posting, reposting, keeping the ball high, multiple ball fakes. Dude does everything you wish big guys would learn. Very impressive but he isn't super athletic or quick. He's not driving by any of our guys although he looks like he could make that FT line jumper all day long.

Agreed but I think he's pretty quick for 6'11. I think he's driving by Coleman at will. Lydon probably not. Coleman should be able to put a body on him and box him out if he chooses to and finds him. Coleman is way stronger. Regardless, he's an impressive player.

It’s a difficult matchup. He could foul Coleman out in the first 10 minutes of the game. We’ll have to have back side help to block his shots which will leave the 3 point line open.

Sabonis gotta be a top 5 pick if he leaves this year right? Ive hardly heard anything about this guy all year, hes a freakin stud.

Agreed but I think he's pretty quick for 6'11. I think he's driving by Coleman at will. Lydon probably not. Coleman should be able to put a body on him and box him out if he chooses to and finds him. Coleman is way stronger. Regardless, he's an impressive player.

Perhaps he can fake and go by Coleman but he will not blow by the 2nd defender IMO. He's patient anyways and has plenty of moves so its not like he really needs to. We will obviously collapse and help on his back to the basket stuff on the block because that's what we do but I suspect JB will allow both of Gonzaga's big guys to show us they can beat us by hitting the FT line jumper.

Sabonis will be tough but Wiltjer concerns me just as much because he can do damage inside and out.

Btw I watched Sabonis' dad play courtside at MSG about 20 years ago when he was with Portland. Easily the largest human being I have ever seen on a basketball court.

docsu said:
I think if we lose this game it will be a similar situation to Tony Crocker/Oklahoma from 2009.

Yea we cant allow any of their guards to go off from 3

Sabonis gotta be a top 5 pick if he leaves this year right? Ive hardly heard anything about this guy all year, hes a freakin stud.

Currently slotted as a mid-late 1st rounder.

Melancer46 said:
Currently slotted as a mid-late 1st rounder.

Thats crazy, he must get lost playing in spokane, how is he not a lottery pick at least??

I predict Coleman has a great game defensively... Big guys like him tend to play better against big guys with similar to size where they can use their physicality. Most of his fouls come from being a bull in a china shop hopefully playing against a bigger guy will alleviate that. I think Sabonis will get his but he'll have to work for it and it won't be efficient.

Eh, I'd bet Coleman gets three fouls in six minutes. Sabots is fluid in the box and moves well.

I predict anyone that picks him that highly will be disappointed. Not to say he won't be a good NBA player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom