Sad News ... | Syracusefan.com

Sad News ...

Bruce was the best. I first met him in the Blarney when I bought an extra ticket from him that he had to the BE final game-SU vs. WFVU. Such a nice man, and he raised his children (obv including nycfan) well. He was a longtime member of the faculty at SU.

RIP to him and condolences to his family.

Sorry to hear this. Never met nycfan's father, but had a great time with nycfan in NYC to watch SU beat Clempsun a couple of years ago. Our thoughts are with you, nycfan! :(

The father of nycfan (whom many of us got to know and love) passed away on Thursday. I'm sure we all send much love and sympathy to nycfan and his family.
Condolences nycfan. Your dad was a great guy. He will be missed. I am glad he lived a long and very full life.

nycfan's dad was a great guy. I have to share a story that exemplifies his wit and spirit. It also shows why, as cto says, so many of us got to know and love him.

At a BET game in The Garden nycfan's dad and I had bought cheap seats and moved down to courtside thanks to his expert technique. There were two empty seats next to us and I asked a friend to join us. My friend is an absolute college hoops junkie and knew all of the teams in the old Big East better than the team's own fans. After several missed free throws by our boys in orange, nycfan's dad said, with a completely straight face:

"It is unusual for Syracuse to miss so many free throws. They are usually a good free throw shooting team."

The tone of the delivery was completely deadpan and without a hint of scarcasm.

The look on my hoop savvy friend's face was somewhere between quizzical and terrified at such a ridiculous statement. While nycfan's dad remained stone faced, I couldn't help but burst out laughing at the situational hilarity. Only after I gave up the gag did nycfan's dad offer up a wry smile and a chuckle. At that point my friend also had a good laugh as his expression turned to relief.

Although this happened a decade ago and it was the only time they met, my friend still occasionally asks about nycfan's dad. That was the type of positive impression nycfan's dad left in the world.
He will be missed by many.

nycfan's dad was a great guy. I have to share a story that exemplifies his wit and spirit. It also shows why, as cto says, so many of us got to know and love him.

At a BET game in The Garden nycfan's dad and I had bought cheap seats and moved down to courtside thanks to his expert technique. There were two empty seats next to us and I asked a friend to join us. My friend is an absolute college hoops junkie and knew all of the teams in the old Big East better than the team's own fans. After several missed free throws by our boys in orange, nycfan's dad said, with a completely straight face:

"It is unusual for Syracuse to miss so many free throws. They are usually a good free throw shooting team."

The tone of the delivery was completely deadpan and without a hint of scarcasm.

The look on my hoop savvy friend's face was somewhere between quizzical and terrified at such a ridiculous statement. While nycfan's dad remained stone faced, I couldn't help but burst out laughing at the situational hilarity. Only after I gave up the gag did nycfan's dad offer up a wry smile and a chuckle. At that point my friend also had a good laugh as his expression turned to relief.

Although this happened a decade ago and it was the only time they met, my friend still occasionally asks about nycfan's dad. That was the type of positive impression nycfan's dad left in the world.
He will be missed by many.
Love this story. Sincere condolences to you and your family, nyc.

Bruce was a great guy whom I had the pleasure of attending many Cuse games with in NY and Philly. He and Eric were very close.
Our condolences to the family.

I lost my dad over 20 years ago so I understand what are you going through. Condolences to you and your family, it will get better with time, I promise

Sorry to hear this Eric, sending some positive thoughts our your way.

Sorry for your loss, Eric. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom