Safety/Not a safety | Syracusefan.com

Safety/Not a safety

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
This is the first real good replay I have seen. I guess, according to the "letter of the law" that his forward progress is stopped at the three as he did take a step forward, but in real time I was 100% convinced it was a safety. I understand the rule but it's not like he didn't initiate reverse momentum on his own. It appears he did and retreated into the end zone on his own, or at least tò the one. Need Zagruder on this one.

Near the end of the video, from the end zone shot, it appears as if Armstrong initiates the move towards the end zone. Upon closer review, a full day's enjoyment of other football games, and of course our Orange victory!, that was a safety. But I may be biased.

It was a safety. Can't convince me otherwise.
I’ll add that 9x outta 10, that’s called a safety. That’s not Peyton Manning out there standing tall and unlikely to run, Armstrong is mobile and was still fighting to get free. If he’d gotten loose and gained 10 yards, they would’ve said he wasn’t in the grasp. But because we’re being ultra-conservative on protecting qbs, the defense gets punished for good plays. JMHO

I’ll add that 9x outta 10, that’s called a safety. That’s not Peyton Manning out there standing tall and unlikely to run, Armstrong is mobile and was still fighting to get free. If he’d gotten loose and gained 10 yards, they would’ve said he wasn’t in the grasp. But because we’re being ultra-conservative on protecting qbs, the defense gets punished for good plays. JMHO
Thank you - yes, that’s how I saw it as well

Watching live in the dome I didn’t think it was a safety. Watching the replays, from one angle I can see the argument, from another I still think it was no safety. It was close. And I think the ball should have been at the 1 yard line.

He wasn't running backwards. Fighting to get free from the defender isn't the same as running backwards. It wasn't a safety. Had he gotten free from the defender while in the endzone, ran around in the endzone, then was tackled, yeah it would've been.

Ball should have been placed at the 1 not the 3. But contact was clearly established outside of the endzone. Should not be a safety. Look at it if it were Shrader in that instance. I think it was the proper call, improper ball placement. Should have never been spotted at the 3.

We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
'Cause your friends don't dance
And if they don't dance
Well, they're no friends of mine
Say, we can go where we want to
A place where they will never find
And we can act like we come
From out of this world
Leave the real one far behind
And we can dance
Or sing
We can go when we want to
Night is young and so am I
And we can dress real neat
From our hats to our feet
And surprise 'em with the victory cry
Say, we can act if we want to
If we don't, nobody will
And you can act real rude and totally removed
And I can act like an imbecile
And say, we can dance, we can dance
Everything's out of control
We can dance, we can dance
They're doing it from pole to pole
Everybody look at your hands
Everybody's taking the chance
Safety dance
Oh well, the safety dance
Ah yes, the safety dance
We can dance if we want to
We've got all your life and mine
As long as we abuse it, never gonna lose it
Everything'll work out right
I say, we can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Because your friends don't dance
And if they don't dance
Well, they're no friends of mine
I say, we can dance, we can dance
Everything's out of control
We're doing it from pole to pole
Everybody look at your hands
Everybody's taking the chance

Agree. The spot was atrocious. The guy on one side marks him down correctly at 1. Other guy randomly does the three.

I saw that one other instance too on a 3rd down play. Ref on sideline walks on to field for the spot with his foot, right at the edge of the 1st down line. The other ref who’s setting the ball, walks back about a yard and now it’s 2 yards short of 1st down marker and we smartly don’t consider going for it. If you watch just that transaction between refs, a yard here and there happens all the time throughout a game. I can’t believe this is never discussed in any way or a better system hasn’t been created to be more accurate. A yard or two here and there throughout a game can be the difference in a W/L

C-Mart we aren't crazy. I'm still saying safety like some others here.
If they spot him at the one foot line, fine. My gripe is that he moved backwards on his own and wasn’t wrapped up until he was in the endzone. Unless I haven’t been paying attention the last however many years, forward progress isn’t stopped just because a guy made some contact with you. It’s stopped when he is physically preventing you from moving forward. That’s not what happened here.

C-Mart we aren't crazy. I'm still saying safety like some others here.
In fact, after watching again I absolutely think it’s a safety. Watch the replay again at the end from the back of the endzone. Let’s say Okechukwu whiffs and Armstrong keeps his balance and scrambles out to the left. Do they blow the play dead? Absolutely not. And if not, that means the play is still alive while he’s in the endzone. Safety.

If they spot him at the one foot line, fine. My gripe is that he moved backwards on his own and wasn’t wrapped up until he was in the endzone. Unless I haven’t been paying attention the last however many years, forward progress isn’t stopped just because a guy made some contact with you. It’s stopped when he is physically preventing you from moving forward. That’s not what happened here.
never been the rule.. Unless you completely disengage from the defender and run backwards you wont get that call.

never been the rule.. Unless you completely disengage from the defender and run backwards you wont get that call.
I hear you, and fair enough. Then I guess my REAL gripe is the idea that if he escapes, the play continues as if nothing happened. I think if your forward momentum is supposedly stopped, then the play is over whether you’re tackled or not. It shouldn’t be, “let’s see if he can get out of it first.” Great. Now I’m flashing back to Pitt stripping Dungey in ‘18 after he was stopped by half the team and getting driven backwards for a half hour.

I hear you, and fair enough. Then I guess my REAL gripe is the idea that if he escapes, the play continues as if nothing happened. I think if your forward momentum is supposedly stopped, then the play is over whether you’re tackled or not. It shouldn’t be, “let’s see if he can get out of it first.” Great. Now I’m flashing back to Pitt stripping Dungey in ‘18 after he was stopped by half the team and getting driven backwards for a half hour.
yeah that is call that goes into the How not to ref a play book.

Think about how many times McNabb looked stopped only to escape. I'm glad they don't immediately blow it dead.

I thought his progress was stopped at the 1 yard line when watching but not the 3, that’s insane!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom