Saturday Rooting Guide 3/10 | Syracusefan.com

Saturday Rooting Guide 3/10

Tom W.

2nd String
All hands on deck folks! I am up early with Bubble Fever! We need these games to go our way, and we'll still have a shot of being called on Sunday. I'm not trying to give false hope, we are right on the bubble line, but I really believe we are still very much in the discussion. I also have an updated TCW Bracketology, if you want to stop by. Today's games:

Cornell over Harvard 12:30pm

Cincinnati over Memphis 1pm

Rhode Island over St Joes 1pm

Kentucky over Alabama 1pm (Just in case)

St. Bonaventure over Davidson 3:30pm

Texas Southern over Arkansas-Pine Bluff 5pm

Kansas over WVU 6pm

Villanova over Providence 6:30pm (probably hopeless)

Buffalo over Toledo 7pm

UNC over Virginia 8:30pm ?

Arizona over USC 10pm

Cannot have another bid stealer!

Let me know if you think there is something else that should be on the list.

Last edited:
All hands on deck folks! I am up early with Bubble Fever! We need these games to go our way, and we'll still have a shot of being called on Sunday. I'm not trying to give false hope, we are right on the bubble line, but I really believe we are still very much in the discussion. Today's games:

Cornell over Harvard 12:30pm

Cincinnati over Memphis 1pm

Rhode Island over St Joes 1pm

Kentucky over Alabama 1pm (Just in case)

Tennessee over Arkansas 3pm

St. Bonaventure over Davidson 3:30pm

Texas Southern over Arkansas-Pine Bluff 5pm

Villanova over Providence 6:30pm (probably hopeless)

Buffalo over Toledo 7pm

Arizona over USC 10pm

Cannot have another bid stealer!

Let me know if you think there is something else that should be on the list.
Awesome job

Maybe UNC over Virginia?

Buffalo Toledo is win win for us

Need Bonnie's to win and would love to see Texas Southern win

Edit - Cornell topping Harvard and then winning Ivy tomorrow would be even better

As Orange79 pointed out in another thread, Buffalo has moved to Q1 and Maryland/Toledo to Q2. Brings us to 7 Q1/Q2 wins along with very strong SOS and NCSOS numbers. So yesterday was not all lost. Hopefully more of the mid-majors we played continue to do well in their conference tournaments.

Awesome job

Maybe UNC over Virginia?

Buffalo Toledo is win win for us

Need Bonnie's to win and would love to see Texas Southern win

Edit - Cornell topping Harvard and then winning Ivy tomorrow would be even better

I would say Buffalo over Toledo is a little better than Toledo over Buffalo, so that Buffalo stays a Q1 win. Obviously, we don't know exactly how the committee is going to use the quadrant system, but I'd like to stay at at least 7 Q1 and Q2 games.

I also think UNC over Virginia is slightly better as well. Gives a little more sympathy to our big loss to them. But that is me speaking like a fan, it is highly questionable whether or not the committee would actually look at something like that.

Davidson is going to be another bid stealer. They are en fuego right now. Peyton Aldrige is a reincarnation of Kevin Pittsnoggle.

This is probably splitting hairs, but here is how Toledo and Maryland stay in Q2 (I'm assuming Buffalo would stay Q1 with a win):

Toledo:
Cornell over Harvard
St Joes over Rhode Island (Obviously, we don't want this one)
Penn beats Yale
Texas Southern over Arkansas-PB
Kansas over WVU
Marshall over WKU

Maryland:
Maryland-Baltimore County over Vermont
St Bonaventure over Davidson
New Mexico over SDSU

Last edited:
Davidson is going to be another bid stealer. They are en fuego right now. Peyton Aldrige is a reincarnation of Kevin Pittsnoggle.
Pittsnogle looks so old now, more like 53 instead of 33, but unlike most West Virginia folks he still has his teeth -
WVU-HOF-Kevin-Pittsnogle-autograph.jpg

Only 2 games matter today - the Q1 stuff is probably done with significant movement unless Buffalo loses and falls below 30.

Absolutely need Arizona to win.

Memphis too hobbled to beat both Cincy then Houston/Wichita. So i'm not concerned.

The A10 tho - Davidson is on FIRE and has fared well vs SBU and URI, whether today or tomorrow, they have to lose.

Arizona win and Davidson loss will make tomorrow's slate pretty non-threatenting. Arkansas and Providence are safely in at this point - so is Alabama

Must haves for us
URI over St. Joe’s
St. Bona over Davidson
Arizona over USC

The rest are all icing.

Only 2 games matter today - the Q1 stuff is probably done with significant movement unless Buffalo loses and falls below 30.

Memphis too hobbled to beat both Cincy then Houston/Wichita. So i'm not concerned.

The A10 tho - Davidson is on FIRE and has fared well vs SBU and URI, whether today or tomorrow, they have to lose.

Arizona win and Davidson loss will make tomorrow's slate pretty non-threatenting. Arkansas and Providence are safely in at this point - so is Alabama
I have no idea where I got the Arkansas idea. It has been removed.

I do wonder - the committee has been talking about us/ND/bubble teams for a few days at least. I assume our narrative is already established - I assume they'll get the final numbers tomorrow, but do we really think bumping up our RPI 1 or 2 spots and Buffalo moving to Q1 will put us in the field?

I'm genuinely asking for everyone's thoughts. I hope our inclusion is not based on Buffalo going from #31 to #30 in order to give us that 4th Q1 win. If that's the case, that's terrifying

I do wonder - the committee has been talking about us/ND/bubble teams for a few days at least. I assume our narrative is already established - I assume they'll get the final numbers tomorrow, but do we really think bumping up our RPI 1 or 2 spots and Buffalo moving to Q1 will put us in the field?

I'm genuinely asking for everyone's thoughts. I hope our inclusion is not based on Buffalo going from #31 to #30 in order to give us that 4th Q1 win. If that's the case, that's terrifying
Absolutely, you are correct. Narrative is probably established, it won't hinge on Buffalo 30/31. But there is nothing we can do in terms of wins, so these other stats/metric improvements is all we have left in the wait until Sunday.

What may matter is if a good chunk of our ooc ends up winning conference titles, it will continue to boost our SOS
So root for cornell, Texas Southern, UB or Toledo, the bonnies

Pittsnogle looks so old now, more like 53 instead of 33, but unlike most West Virginia folks he still has his teeth -

Pittsnoggle is a good dude. He was working part time at car dealership where I used to live when still in DC region. Chatted me up for a while about cuse hoops and was talking about their tourney run. Really good guy to talk to.

Let's go Catamounts!!!

I don't think it's true, but I've heard a couple guys on radio talk about UVM stealing a bid if they lose today.

Dear god he looks awful. Easily 10 years older.

I thought after last night USC was a lock

Pittsnoggle is a good dude. He was working part time at car dealership where I used to live when still in DC region. Chatted me up for a while about cuse hoops and was talking about their tourney run. Really good guy to talk to.

Most likely, that was only because he wanted to sell you a car. :cool:

So, basically, you got Pittsnoggled ;)

Still one of my favorite all-time crowd chants after he dunked on someone.

I thought after last night USC was a lock
Well, I think they are probably in, but not a lock. They are an 11 seed on the Matrix, and Palm still has them as first four out, so I threw them on the list.

Let's go Catamounts!!!

I don't think it's true, but I've heard a couple guys on radio talk about UVM stealing a bid if they lose today.
Classic example of "homer" radio hosts who don't pay attention to much outside of the America East.

Vermont has an SOS of 202 and RPI of 51. They have no top 100 wins. They lost to best 5 teams they played. Their best win is #104 Bradley by 1pt on a neutral court. They had plenty of chances honestly to get a few good wins - they lost to Kentucky, Marquette, St. Bonaventure, Northeastern and Bucknell.

They have literally no chance to steal a bid. At least St. Mary's could make the argument that they didn't have the chance to beat anyone good (whether that's because no one would play them or not, who knows) - but Vermont had 5 games top 80 teams and lost all 5.

Well, I think they are probably in, but not a lock. They are an 11 seed on the Matrix, and Palm still has them as first four out, so I threw them on the list.

I think there in as 10 or 11 . Basically on my list there is a divide from 4th last team in, then a gap for the next group of 9 teams for 3 spots and I have USC in the group above the last 3 group

Last edited: