Say what you will about the opponent | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Say what you will about the opponent

What I wouldn’t do is play the same 2 forwards 35-40 minutes when they’re not doing much.

Different games might call for different combinations alongside Judah, Joe, and Jesse.
Exactly. I don't see why anyone would be clamoring for a set rotation after those three just four games into the season.

I was pumped to see Chris Bell be more aggressive on the offensive end. If he can be a viable threat, it opens up so much more for Joe/Judah/Jesse. They all have some work to do on the defensive end, but this group seems to be willing to put in the work to get better. I'm more bullish on this team than I was before the season started.
These guys all played together in prep. They really support each other.

What I wouldn’t do is play the same 2 forwards 35-40 minutes when they’re not doing much.

Different games might call for different combinations alongside Judah, Joe, and Jesse.
Well, Taylor got 12 minutes last night and did nothing. I would like to see Brown get a longer leash, but he has a tendency to collapse to the weak side post and not get back to the corner when the ball reverses. It has happened continuously this year and he hears about it when he comes out every time but continues to leave that corner jumper open. Very fixable and the light bulb will certainly click on but until it does his minutes will be limited.

So not the same thing, and hak was far better in the zone.
He came from the center position to the corner on the last play. The OP said flying around out of position is not good defense.

Steph Curry would like a word….

Hahaha. I’m just kidding, don’t think I’m comparing Steph and Joe. More just saying when one is shooting like Joe the first half, I’m generally fine with a couple of tougher shots until they stop falling. Continued heat checks and bad shot selection after it was clear he was fatigued and they were no longer going in was the issue.

But still, we won’t win without him.
Shoot until you make it, then shoot until you miss. That’s what shooters do.

I did watch it. That’s why I know I’m right.

You need to watch it again then because you're not right. I've watched it 50x. In fact a 2nd trailing Richmond player also beat Joe down the court.

You need to watch it again then because you're not right. I've watched it 50x. In fact a 2nd trailing Richmond player also beat Joe down the court.

Wanna call it a tie with Bell?

C8EF4CA3-5BFE-400E-9C58-9361F98CED08.jpeg

2:47 of this video Joe turns it over. He hangs his head in frustration and gets back on D extremely slowly, casually letting the other richmond guy next to him get down the court before he does. On the one hand he was probably not counting on the insane block from Mintz (who the hell was saying he wasn't bouncy?) but on the other hand you should just be hustling there no matter what just in case. Joe had an amazing game and carried the team in many ways, but almost impossible to defend him here specifically. He probably gets the board after the block if he hustles back there.

2:47 of this video Joe turns it over. He hangs his head in frustration and gets back on D extremely slowly, casually letting the other richmond guy next to him get down the court before he does. On the one hand he was probably not counting on the insane block from Mintz (who the hell was saying he wasn't bouncy?) but on the other hand you should just be hustling there no matter what just in case. Joe had an amazing game and carried the team in many ways, but almost impossible to defend him here specifically. He probably gets the board after the block if he hustles back there.

Everyone jogged back. It’s discussed just above your post.

None of our guys except Judah really started out hustling back, but once he made the block they all picked it up. Hopefully that is a lesson for next time.

Everyone jogged back. It’s discussed just above your post.
But Joe was actually in a position to get the rebound if he stayed with the guy next to him. He let that guy jog ahead of him and grab the board. Again, just one play, not a huge deal, and he still had an incredible game.

JB’s teams hardly ever sprint back or run hard on the break. Unless it’s an uncontested layup players fail to fill lanes. Buddy did it last year too. In transition the wings need to sprint to either cut to the basket or run to the corners. This will spread the court and allow the ball handler to make easier reads. They jog down with their hands up instead of getting down and getting ready to shoot or pass. It drives me nuts. The people who sit near me during games must think I’m nuts because I’m always yelling for players to run.

I would like to see Brown get a longer leash, but he has a tendency to collapse to the weak side post and not get back to the corner when the ball reverses. It has happened continuously this year and he hears about it when he comes out every time but continues to leave that corner jumper open. Very fixable and the light bulb will certainly click on but until it does his minutes will be limited.
The scenario you described (Maliq incorrectly collapsing to the post and allowing open corner jumpers) did not happen at all last night. And when Boeheim took Maliq out with 6:08 to play in the half, Jim shook his hand and said nothing - there was certainly no “talk” about repeated miscues on defense.

I think Maliq has been really good in his limited minutes, and I’d love to see him get more floor time. I’m not really sure why Jim isn’t playing him more, but I hope Maliq continues to produce when he gets the chance.

JB’s teams hardly ever sprint back or run hard on the break. Unless it’s an uncontested layup players fail to fill lanes. Buddy did it last year too. In transition the wings need to sprint to either cut to the basket or run to the corners. This will spread the court and allow the ball handler to make easier reads. They jog down with their hands up instead of getting down and getting ready to shoot or pass. It drives me nuts. The people who sit near me during games must think I’m nuts because I’m always yelling for players to run.
Because they are exhausted from playing 35+ minutes.

The scenario you described (Maliq incorrectly collapsing to the post and allowing open corner jumpers) did not happen at all last night. And when Boeheim took Maliq out with 6:08 to play in the half, Jim shook his hand and said nothing - there was certainly no “talk” about repeated miscues on defense.

I think Maliq has been really good in his limited minutes, and I’d love to see him get more floor time. I’m not really sure why Jim isn’t playing him more, but I hope Maliq continues to produce when he gets the chance.

Also, if you watch back Brown's mins

Came in at the 11:30 mark. Hima was already in at C.

- 3 pt on opposite side. Hima/Taylor.
- Offensive rebound/Tip in by Brown
- Defensive Rebound by Brown
- Jumper straight on. Hima
- Drive to basket for 2. Hima burnt.
- Drive to basket. Joe burnt.
- 3 pter in Symir's eye from center court. Lucky shot.

Taken out. Never came in again

So...any suggestion Brown did anything incorrect on D, simply isnt true. He played all his mins w/ Taylor and Hima as well.

There are a lot of headscratchers i attribute to Joe. One that is fresh in my mind from yesterday, he defended a guy at the top of the key—very well, for about 3 seconds—and then all of a sudden, it was like he just lost interest and put his hands down and the guy popped a three. Many more like that—interest for part of a defensive stand and then complete disinterest. I will admit that part of this might be a perceptual problem for me, the viewer, with compression of tv lenses, but it still very much feels like a Joe issue.

And other players do similarly baffling things. A guy will contest a jumper, try to demonstrate verticality/etc., and hold his hands up and stay there while there is still a rebound to get. The game is still being played by the other team, but we're posing to either show JB we were doing something, or showing the ref we weren't doing something. I fault a lot of that on the zone, because there aren't player responsibilities as much as area responsibilities. Blocking out and all that nebulousness, that's all related.

He does it all the time. It's my biggest issue with him and it's such a glaring issue. No coaches like a lack of effort. Control the controllables right? YOU control how hard you work. You would never have seen this lack of effort from a Gerry or a Devandorf or any number of great guards who've rolled through here. It's what separates those teams from being good and what we're regulated to now.
My biggest issue with Joe is not why he doesn’t hustle down on D after getting ripped

It’s not even getting ripped

It’s why is he handling the ball in the first place

Well, Taylor got 12 minutes last night and did nothing. I would like to see Brown get a longer leash, but he has a tendency to collapse to the weak side post and not get back to the corner when the ball reverses. It has happened continuously this year and he hears about it when he comes out every time but continues to leave that corner jumper open. Very fixable and the light bulb will certainly click on but until it does his minutes will be limited.
This guy Taylor. Gets in the game and first thing he does is take a fade away long 2, early in the shot clock. Your shooting percentage is directly proportional to the quality of the shots you take.

It's a win. We had to go to OT with a mid major even with JGIII going HAM in 1H, but I don't care.

Biggest gripe is the forward rotation, or lack there of.

How does Brown get so little PT?
Because Benny was en fuego. 4 points and 3 rebounds in 40 minutes is a monster game so you can't take him out.

As I can recall, that was the first time SU played Richmond since they knocked Billy O's team out in a 2-15 game. Finally got that monkey off our back.

That’s the problem with both Girard and Williams. They both think they’re better than they are. If they would play within themselves, we would be a much better team.
I disagree to a extent. I agree with this on Benny but Joe is our best scorer. He just takes some really dumb shots. If he takes better shots he would score more. Confident Joe can only be stopped by Confident Joe.

As I can recall, that was the first time SU played Richmond since they knocked Billy O's team out in a 2-15 game. Finally got that monkey off our back.
We've played a few times since then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom