Say what you will about the opponent | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Say what you will about the opponent

Did you see the presser? I think JB agrees with you. Benny and Bell got torched by JB.
That is...not shocking. He screamed at one or the other after about 90% of the plays.

I'm just sick of the Joe bashing. Yeah, he sucks on defense. And he shoots a lot. Too much if we had a load of other options. Right now, we don't. Maybe in a month or two, we will have other options. But he won us that game tonight. I think we can get off of his neck today. Seems on this board, we can't.
We dont have a prayer without Joe tonight.

Maybe he was tired. Our coach should maybe try subbing our forwards in the second half tomorrow.

Crazy idea though. Wouldn’t blame JB if he doesn’t want to give it a go.
I would argue it’s the opposite, he was only playing hard late second half. He was damn near useless the first 30 minutes

I would argue it’s the opposite, he was only playing hard late second half. He was damn near useless the first 30 minutes
Benny? He wasn't particularly effective but he was deinfitely playing hard. He ended up on the floor multiple times and there were several times when he was the only one attempting to rebound.

I’ve been on the same page with you about losing Cole since last spring. Or we should’ve hit the portal for an athletic small forward with high scoring ability.
That ship has sailed. Obviously none of the young forwards can shoot like him, but the potential is there for some of them to develop into useful pieces sooner than if Swider were here playing 35 minutes a night.

I’m afraid St. John’s is going to physically beat us up. Our only hope is the zone causes them problems, but we have to rebound. Joe is going to have a long night. The have quick, strong, physical guards. Mintz has not seen anything like them.

I’m afraid St. John’s is going to physically beat us up. Our only hope is the zone causes them problems, but we have to rebound. Joe is going to have a long night. The have quick, strong, physical guards. Mintz has not seen anything like them.
Silver lining, St Johns can’t shoot and turns the ball over. They had a 20+ turnover game beginning of the year.

There are some people here that if they read a story about Joe stopping to pull a family, and their dog, out of a burning house, they would criticize Joe for not preventing the fire in the first place.
I told him.
I agree. But JB’s philosophy is to allow kids, especially freshman, to get comfortable out there with consistent minutes. Bell knocked down a shot (or two?) in the first half and had pretty good defensive activity, and JB saw he shot the ball with some confidence and might be ready to knock down a few more, which he knew we’d need. His instincts paid off. Now Bell needs to rebound a lot better and get out on the shooters faster. But I’ll take what we have for now. He’s the team’s second best shooter.
No its not. He yanks kids all the time.

St Johns is a horrible matchup for us.
I don’t know if they’re a great 3 point shooting team. That could be the one advantage we have playing zone. But we’ll have to stop their dribble penetration. We did a great job of not turning the ball over today but the Johnnies will force turnovers, as Mike Anderson’s teams do (he’s a Nolan Richardson disciple). Then again, our defense forced a lot of turnovers of our own today.

I told him.

No its not. He yanks kids all the time.
I thought we only play 6-7 guys a game and JB only subs out for mistakes. #narratives

Pulling out a close win in NYC early in the year will pay dividends with a young team like this. Lot of lessons learned.

This is a game we lose the last few years
Agreed this is something to build off of for sure but we had the Indiana win last year and never got much better.

Different team and I tend to prefer positive outlooks but I need all of the coaching staff to get this team to get better as the year goes on. We tend to get into a rut on offense and this defense needs to improve for ACC play

i need to understand something i saw tonight. maybe one of you can explain to me what happened.

There was a long rebound that went right to Benny for what my mind thought was going to be an uncontested dunk. Instead, he caught the ball, flipped it over the rim...caught it on the other side. I mean I don't understand what it was. It was something from out of the old circus performers bag of tricks.

It was a much more difficult move to pull off than just catching it and dunking it. but it doesn't result in points, as far as I know. Please shed some light.

i need to understand something i saw tonight. maybe one of you can explain to me what happened.

There was a long rebound that went right to Benny for what my mind thought was going to be an uncontested dunk. Instead, he caught the ball, flipped it over the rim...caught it on the other side. I mean I don't understand what it was. It was something from out of the old circus performers bag of tricks.

It was a much more difficult move to pull off than just catching it and dunking it. but it doesn't result in points, as far as I know. Please shed some light.
I honestly thought he was shocked at how wide open he was and panicked? That's all I got. LOL.

From what I recall it was a JG3 airball on a two point attempt, that actually looked like it was going to turn into a highlight reel alley-oop dunk by Benny……but then you just described perfectly what he did after catching it. hahaha

The thing I see lacking in Benny is poise. He needs to relax and let the game come to him. I think if he gets the court time he has all the other gifts. I think he's worth the investment. What he can do in February and March is what counts.

From what I recall it was a JG3 airball on a two point attempt, that actually looked like it was going to turn into a highlight reel alley-oop dunk by Benny……but then you just described perfectly what he did after catching it. hahaha
Right, it wasn’t a rebound. It was an air ball which he seemed to realize right away .

I’ve been on the same page with you about losing Cole since last spring. Or we should’ve hit the portal for an athletic small forward with high scoring ability.

IF we hit the portal, we probably don’t land Mintz.

Benny was his lead recruiter, and he may not have stuck around if we brought in yet another F to this team -
even though we desperately need one.

He showed more effort getting the ball back after an unfortunate shot, that kind of effort goes a long way with people

He’s usually good for 1 effort play a game, otherwise he’s lazy.

He busted butt for that shot cause he knew it was a 22 foot air ball when it left his hand.

The next time he hustles back on D after turning it over will be his first.

He lost me last night when he got his pocket picked and jogged back on D. Meanwhile Mintz busted it back on D and rejects the layup at the glass. We lost the ball though cause Joe was still jogging back on D and not in the play. He should’ve been right there. He does this regularly through the course of games, jogs back after turnovers. Wait until he does it tonight.

I honestly thought he was shocked at how wide open he was and panicked? That's all I got. LOL.
Yeah he didn’t expect the ball, fumbled it and we saw the results. He was visibly looking at his hands as if they failed him in the immediate defensive play after. I recognized it because I’ve done the same thing playing on a cold day when my hands are dry. Some days you just can’t get a good grip,

The thing I see lacking in Benny is poise. He needs to relax and let the game come to him. I think if he gets the court time he has all the other gifts. I think he's worth the investment. What he can do in February and March is what counts.
He'll get the court time if he plays under more control and produces. If not, he'll sit. He had a long leash last night, but that won't be normally be the case. He's had two solid games out of four; he needs to do better than that.

IF we hit the portal, we probably don’t land Mintz.

Benny was his lead recruiter, and he may not have stuck around if we brought in yet another F to this team -
even though we desperately need one.
We had two starting forwards spots to fill. I hope that the staff could have painted the picture for all involved where Benny starts along with a transfer forward.

Yeah he didn’t expect the ball, fumbled it and we saw the results. He was visibly looking at his hands as if they failed him in the immediate defensive play after. I recognized it because I’ve done the same thing playing on a cold day when my hands are dry. Some days you just can’t get a good grip,
I was watching him after that play, I was worried that was going to effect him all night. I don't think it did.

He'll get the court time if he plays under more control and produces. If not, he'll sit. He had a long leash last night, but that won't be normally be the case.
You can't coach athleticism. Boeheim knows if this team is going to be really good they are going to need what Benny can potentially bring to the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom