Say what you will about the opponent | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Say what you will about the opponent

I disagree to a extent. I agree with this on Benny but Joe is our best scorer. He just takes some really dumb shots. If he takes better shots he would score more. Confident Joe can only be stopped by Confident Joe.

Here’s my take on Joe and “bad” shots. I used to say the same thing about GMac when people complained about some of his and it can be said about a lot of 3 point shooters, but obviously not all. Joe has a lot of confidence in himself and his shot. He thinks they are all going in. GMac used to say if he missed 10 in a row he still knew the next one was going in. With some kids you can’t turn that confidence off and on like a faucet. If you tamped back the confidence too much he may not take some of those 2nd half bad shots, but also then he wouldn’t take and make some of those 1st half shots.

Here’s my take on Joe and “bad” shots. I used to say the same thing about GMac when people complained about some of his and it can be said about a lot of 3 point shooters, but obviously not all. Joe has a lot of confidence in himself and his shot. He thinks they are all going in. GMac used to say if he missed 10 in a row he still knew the next one was going in. With some kids you can’t turn that confidence off and on like a faucet. If you tamped back the confidence too much he may not take some of those 2nd half bad shots, but also then he wouldn’t take and make some of those 1st half shots.
Agreed. No different than what Babers has said about Shrader. With "gamers" you know you'll get some bad moments but it's more often than not, outweighed by the benefits.

He’s usually good for 1 effort play a game, otherwise he’s lazy.

He busted butt for that shot cause he knew it was a 22 foot air ball when it left his hand.

The next time he hustles back on D after turning it over will be his first.

He lost me last night when he got his pocket picked and jogged back on D. Meanwhile Mintz busted it back on D and rejects the layup at the glass. We lost the ball though cause Joe was still jogging back on D and not in the play. He should’ve been right there. He does this regularly through the course of games, jogs back after turnovers. Wait until he does it tonight.
He’s lazy because he’s allowed to be lazy. Others aren’t allowed.

What is accepted is what is expected. Boeheim accepts the laziness and therefore we can expect it. It’s baffling.

Girard is not half the player that GMac was. Not half.

There are a lot of headscratchers i attribute to Joe. One that is fresh in my mind from yesterday, he defended a guy at the top of the key—very well, for about 3 seconds—and then all of a sudden, it was like he just lost interest and put his hands down and the guy popped a three. Many more like that—interest for part of a defensive stand and then complete disinterest. I will admit that part of this might be a perceptual problem for me, the viewer, with compression of tv lenses, but it still very much feels like a Joe issue.

And other players do similarly baffling things. A guy will contest a jumper, try to demonstrate verticality/etc., and hold his hands up and stay there while there is still a rebound to get. The game is still being played by the other team, but we're posing to either show JB we were doing something, or showing the ref we weren't doing something. I fault a lot of that on the zone, because there aren't player responsibilities as much as area responsibilities. Blocking out and all that nebulousness, that's all related.

You're right; the players can't contest every call by the ref. If there's no whistle, the game goes on.

Girard is not half the player that GMac was. Not half.

Is that what I said? Or is that what you imagined I said?

Is that what I said? Or is that what you imagined I said?
LOL.

When you compare the two and speak about the confidence, you imply that the two should be given free reign and not be told to stop taking horrific shots because they think they’re going in.

GMac could make those shots. He played hard. He was a playmaker. And you could live with a couple bad shots because he was that good. Especially senior year when the team had virtually nothing else.

Girard should not be taking them, because he is not even close to being as good. If he plays within himself, he is fine. When he tries to be the hero and take tough shots, he isn’t good enough and puts our team in a bad spot.

LOL.

When you compare the two and speak about the confidence, you imply that the two should be given free reign and not be told to stop taking horrific shots because they think they’re going in.

GMac could make those shots. He played hard. He was a playmaker. And you could live with a couple bad shots because he was that good. Especially senior year when the team had virtually nothing else.

Girard should not be taking them, because he is not even close to being as gHe ood. If he plays within himself, he is fine. When he tries to be the hero and take tough shots, he isn’t good enough and puts our team in a bad spot.
He put up 31 and without his production, Syracuse would not have won last night.

He put up 31 and without his production, Syracuse would not have won last night.
And how is that relevant to anything I posted?

Girard has a 3+ year body of work that has proven to anyone that sees him that he isn't a go-to scorer. He isn't even close to GMac. He was just shutout rather easily by St. John's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom