Say Your Goodbyes: The ACC's Days Are Numbered | Syracusefan.com

Say Your Goodbyes: The ACC's Days Are Numbered

What a stupid article. I'm embarrassed for Steve Forbes.

Not a lot there other than recycling of rumors.

Why is it nothing but recycled rumors? That article has a number of links including statements made by the Clemson BOT, the FSU BOT, the FSU coach, the FSU President, the TCU AD, CBS and ESPN articles, etc etc. His conclusion is his opinion, but I didn't see a lot of rumors.

He cannot even get basic facts correct. Travel to West Virginia is much harder than Pittsburg and probably more time consuming than Syracuse. Yes, Pittsburg and Syracuse are farther away than WVU. For FSU to fly to WVU, they fly into Pittsburg and bus into Morgantown, about 90 miles away. I imagine a flight to Syracuse is not that much longer than a flight to Pittsburg.

He cannot even get basic facts correct. Travel to West Virginia is much harder than Pittsburg and probably more time consuming than Syracuse. Yes, Pittsburg and Syracuse are farther away than WVU. For FSU to fly to WVU, they fly into Pittsburg and bus into Morgantown, about 90 miles away. I imagine a flight to Syracuse is not that much longer than a flight to Pittsburg.
That part of the piece was definitely weak. Because he didn't mention the difficulty of the Tallahassee to Lubbock/Ames/Manhattan trek. The bottom line is, the travelling costs for FSU would be higher in the Big XII than in the ACC.

This guy proves that just about anyone can get a job writing nowadays. Yikes...he is the Mike Lindsley of sports writing

Not like he is some expert in the field. Look at his listed bio. Professional is empty and his about me has less experience than many on this board. The guy is a tool. Kudos to him for getting paid to write that crap.

ABOUT ME

I report on the business of sports for Forbes' SportsMoney group. I had the pleasure of completing a Summer Internship with Forbes while in college, and I have previously worked on projects that analyzed the business of the NFL, Formula One racing, and the IPL cricket league. Studying sports business interests me as both a writer and a sports fan, and I've found that digging through financial reports is often just as enjoyable as combing a box score.
PROFESSIONAL

He treats college athletics as a professional sport... completely overlooking the academic aspects.

Some school projects, an internship and now a professional blog regurgitator.

The ACC is not going anywhere. The ACC schools are happier than the Big XII schools. We'll end up seeing 4 16 team conferences before we see the death of the ACC.

I would love to read the pieces he wrote about the IPL cricket league. I wonder if that is when he developed his own "style".

The ACC is not going anywhere. The ACC schools are happier than the Big XII schools. We'll end up seeing 4 16 team conferences before we see the death of the ACC.
You'll end up seeing 4x 16 team super conferences AND the death of the ACC to make it happen. Those schools have to come from somewhere. It's hard to fill those 16 open slots with quality valuable programs and not take the bulk of ACC. If you don't think confs behind closed doors have already carved up ACC, at least in the broad strokes, that's just naive.

You'll end up seeing 4x 16 team super conferences AND the death of the ACC to make it happen. Those schools have to come from somewhere. It's hard to fill those 16 open slots with quality valuable programs and not take the bulk of ACC. If you don't think confs behind closed doors have already carved up ACC, at least in the broad strokes, that's just naive.

Sure...
And who does the PAC-10 get, Wake and NCSU or BC and Pitt? If I was in the Big XII and your scenario was plausible, I would be very, very worried.

This post is so incredibly dumb it blows my mind. You are essentially implying that the B10, Bevo12, PAC 12, and SEC are playing dibsies with the ACC like a goddamned fantasy football draft.

Certainly there are schools that may be potential targets, but there are schools in every conference that are the targets or someone.

All this because the FSU BOT chair shot his mouth off without any understanding of tv contracts.

This post is so incredibly dumb it blows my mind. You are essentially implying that the B10, Bevo12, PAC 12, and SEC are playing dibsies with the ACC like a goddamned fantasy football draft.

Certainly there are schools that may be potential targets, but there are schools in every conference that are the targets or someone.

All this because the FSU BOT chair shot his mouth off without any understanding of tv contracts.

I agree. Unreal.

What conferences has schools that could be easily added by the other four conferences? Not the ACC. It's the Big XII since the PAC 12, and to a lesser extent the Big XII, cannot bring in teams on the East Coast. With the dissolution of the Big XII the ACC can take WVU (I think they'll overlook the academics for security) and then the other three conferences can divvy up the spoils from the Big XII. At this point the Big XII is so unstable it's almost inevitable that it dissolves. If the PAC 12, B1G, and SEC were looking to expand further at this point the Big XII would have already been carved up. Keep drinking the kool-aid man.

There's quite a bit more to it than the FSU BOT saying more than he should have. The complaints with the contract, which there are very serious complaints just not so much the ones he raised, are part of the justification those schools are raising to leave the conference. The move was being talked about a lot earlier than that. They wanted to leave for SEC two years ago, asked again in 2011, and then switched gears fully to B12. Serious discussion through intermediaries has been going on since then.

B12 is planning to take 5 ACC schools over this year and next. That's FSU, Clemson this year; and, GT, either Duke or NCSU, and either VT or Maryland all next summer. SEC is targeting either VT or UVa and either UNC or NCSU. UVa has said they're talking to B1G. Maryland hasn't said anything but they're 5m in the hole from last year. You want to speculate what other teams could go to B1G, that's fine cause I don't know but if the ACC blows up you can be sure they'll take advantage of the situation. PAC obviously isn't a player on the east coast. That don't have as many options. They probably will have to swallow some pride on the academic front to take Boise & BYU. I couldn't say what else that may have in mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom