Schedule update: ACC-Big 10 Challenge? Georgetown? Carrier Dome bubble? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Schedule update: ACC-Big 10 Challenge? Georgetown? Carrier Dome bubble?

In a 27 game regular season, 20 is ACC and you got Gtown and ACC/B10 challenge game.

I don't see a need to schedule another high-level OOC game. That's just me though.
we can play more than 27 and I think they should try to do that.

Correct. Reduced from 31.
I'm okay with starting Thanksgiving weekend. Basketball is a winter sport and Thanksgiving to me is basically the start of winter.

When I was a kid, the basketball season normally started the first week of December. I think Thanksgiving weekend is about right. Starting the season around Veterans Day is too early.

Here is a WAG at what we might be looking at:

Saturday November 28th at Dome against NYS opponent (Niagara?)

Friday December 4th 3 day MTE event at the Carrier Dome featuring teams likely from NYS
Saturday December 5th
Sunday December 6th

Tuesday December 8th or Wednesday December 9th ACC-B1G Challenge at Rutgers or Maryland

Saturday December 12th at Dome against NYS opponent

Saturday December 19th ACC game (away; probably BC, Pitt, UL or ND)

Sunday December 27th ACC game at dome (probably BC, Pitt, UL or ND)

Wednesday December 30th ACC game (away; probably BC, Pitt, UL or ND)

Friday January 8th 3 day MTE event at an ACC or neutral site
Saturday January 9th
Sunday January 10th

Saturday, January 16th Georgetown at Carrier Dome (7th OOC game)

Friday January 22nd MTE event at an ACC or neutral site
Saturday January 23rd
Sunday January 24th

Friday January 29th MTE event at an ACC or neutral site
Saturday January 30th
Sunday January 31st

Friday February 5th MET event at an ACC or neutral site
Saturday February 6th
Sunday February 7th

Friday February 12th MET event at an ACC or neutral site
Saturday February 13th
Sunday February 14th

Friday February 19th MET event at an ACC or neutral site
Saturday February 20th
Sunday February 21st

Saturday February 26th MET event at an ACC or neutral site
Sunday February 27th MET event at an ACC or neutral site

then some time before the ACC tournament for make up games. There will probably be a bunch. Will there be an ACC tournament?

My guess is that besides the 6 home OOC games, we might only host 1 or 2 MTE events at the dome. It is too far away and hard to get to for many in the ACC. And I suspect the powers that be will want to avoid the cold weather.

We are in mid October without a schedule.
I think it’s safe to say nobody has a clue if there will even be a season starting on time.

I highly doubt we will play any nonconference game further than Rutgers away.

I think it’s safe to say nobody has a clue if there will even be a season starting on time.

I highly doubt we will play any nonconference further than Rutgers away.

Yeah we are entering crunch time, smaller leagues are pondering whether to play and cases are on the rise. Not a lot of good signs out there.

I highly doubt we will play any nonconference game further than Rutgers away.
FYI, I believe the ACC has a schedule. We know who we are playing. We just don't know the dates.

It should be noted that when I saw 'we', I am not referring to you or me, but to the SU athletic department (and the other ACC schools).

One would think that by now, there has been enough time to finalize things.

I am going to assume at the least, the schools south of the Mason-Dixon are going to try and have fans in the stands for basketball games at their facilities. If they are planning to have fans attend games, it would make sense to get the info out there so plans can be made.

Greensboro has to be campaigning to serve as the host for MTE bubble events. Places that have hosted ACC tournaments in the past, like Washington DC and Charlotte, are probably trying to get a piece of the action. I would guess that the conference has had to develop a lengthy list of requirements for all sites to be considered to host ACC MTE events and they are getting feedback from them. Will the ACC opt to go with 3rd party locations convenient to most ACC schools? Will they limit hosting to facilities on campus? So many questions need to be answered.

If they go with the model I have suggested above, with 4 team MTE events each weekend, where each team plays the other 3 teams on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it is not going to leave a lot of wiggle room at the end of the season for make up games. I think it is unlikely everyone is going to play 20 conference games. Some might only play 10 or 12.

Prepare for a lot of unexpected things to happen. It is going to be a crazy season.

FYI, I believe the ACC has a schedule. We know who we are playing. We just don't know the dates.

It should be noted that when I saw 'we', I am not referring to you or me, but to the SU athletic department (and the other ACC schools).

One would think that by now, there has been enough time to finalize things.

I am going to assume at the least, the schools south of the Mason-Dixon are going to try and have fans in the stands for basketball games at their facilities. If they are planning to have fans attend games, it would make sense to get the info out there so plans can be made.

Greensboro has to be campaigning to serve as the host for MTE bubble events. Places that have hosted ACC tournaments in the past, like Washington DC and Charlotte, are probably trying to get a piece of the action. I would guess that the conference has had to develop a lengthy list of requirements for all sites to be considered to host ACC MTE events and they are getting feedback from them. Will the ACC opt to go with 3rd party locations convenient to most ACC schools? Will they limit hosting to facilities on campus? So many questions need to be answered.

If they go with the model I have suggested above, with 4 team MTE events each weekend, where each team plays the other 3 teams on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it is not going to leave a lot of wiggle room at the end of the season for make up games. I think it is unlikely everyone is going to play 20 conference games. Some might only play 10 or 12.

Prepare for a lot of unexpected things to happen. It is going to be a crazy season.
UVa will have a limited, at best, crowd at the games. Currently we have 1000 tickets for our home football games, 800 for us and 200 for the away team. No band. I could see just 500 at a basketball game max, and I won't be surprised in the least if it's a lot less than that.

I'm okay with starting Thanksgiving weekend. Basketball is a winter sport and Thanksgiving to me is basically the start of winter.

When I was a kid, the basketball season normally started the first week of December. I think Thanksgiving weekend is about right. Starting the season around Veterans Day is too early.

I agree. Over the past decade or so the season keeps creeping and creeping up and has been starting in almost early November. It's just way too early.

I think SU will do what they did for football and give season ticket holders the option of transferring until next year, give as donation, or return of funds. Any home games this year will be bought on a game by game basis.
You know, I have been so downhearted about not seeing SU bball at the Dome, but now I am all JUST PUT THEM ON TV AND LET ME WATCH!

If fans aren’t going to be allowed at games could some games be played at the Melo Center?
I am sure we have regulation courts and spots for cameras there.
A gigantic empty Dome kinda sucks for these players to play in.
The Melo center would be compact and it wouldn’t hurt the players.

If fans aren’t going to be allowed at games could some games be played at the Melo Center?

I don't think the Melo Center is wired for TV broadcasts or has locker room facilities for visiting teams.

Same reason why you never see broadcasts from the IPF. Interesting idea, though.

I don't think the Melo Center is wired for TV broadcasts or has locker room facilities for visiting teams.

Same reason why you never see broadcasts from the IPF. Interesting idea, though.

Plus I don't think there is enough room on the sides to have the cameras at angles that would be enjoyable to watch on tv but I could be wrong.

What are they doing w Manley these days? could they play it there?

Love this idea. Would potentially give us the same feel that the NBA bubble had.

It is unfortunate the NCAA has chosen to limit the use of MTEs so severely. Why? Why not give schools ultimate scheduling flexibility during a pandemic? Why shouldn’t teams be allowed to schedule with protection of their athletes a top priority?

It is unfortunate the NCAA has chosen to limit the use of MTEs so severely. Why? Why not give schools ultimate scheduling flexibility during a pandemic? Why shouldn’t teams be allowed to schedule with protection of their athletes a top priority?
Did you put "NCAA" and "athletes being a top priority" in the same sentence? That is the problem.

Why is Syracuse not participating in the Mohegan Sun bubble? It seems like the ideal situation and it’s very disappointing that we’re not part of it. I wonder what the reason is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom