Schedule update: ACC-Big 10 Challenge? Georgetown? Carrier Dome bubble? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Schedule update: ACC-Big 10 Challenge? Georgetown? Carrier Dome bubble?

Rutgers wins when the game is ugly and low scoring. They struggled against sharpshooters last season so this isn’t their best matchup. They were also great at the RAC (18-1) but that’s because of the crowd. An empty RAC won’t have the same advantage.

This could go either way honestly. Rutgers will be favored by a couple points in the metrics but it’s a total toss up IMO
Well, I've got some news for you. We've had a lot of that in the last 6 years. Last year, luckily, the offense was improved at the expense of the defense.

The New Big East recently announced their basketball schedule, but only for December. Most unusual.

They have all teams playing 4 to 5 conference games that month. I presume this was changed in an attempt to get as many conference games in as possible before COVID really kicks in later in the winter. That rule that teams with even one positive case have to stop playing for 14 days appears to be driving scheduling changes.

Coaches are lobbying hard to get the length of these shutdowns reduced to 10 days.

We know the ACC was initially planning on only playing 2 conference games in December. I think that changed to 3 later. I wonder if the delay in announcing ACC schedules is being driven at least in part by last minute efforts to get even more conference games scheduled as soon as possible?

The thinking is probably
a) conference games are the most important games and need to be prioritized. If games must be given up, they will be OOC ones.
b) the time frame where the most teams will be infection free and able to play Is probably December.
c) front loading the schedule is desirable because it leaves more time later in the schedule to schedule make up games. I think with that 14 day shutdown rule, it is highly likely many schools will have significant numbers of games that need to be be made up. It makes sense to leave gaps open to accommodate this.

Anyway, I am guessing the ACC will do something similar to the NBE and make some changes to get more conferences games in during December.
Still shocked the NCAA is not supporting a schedule model that leverages multiple MTE events designed to be mini-bubbles played most weekends. Forcing teams to use normal scheduling models during a pandemic seems very short sighted. As always, I am mystified by NCAA management decisions.

This has to be the most lackluster setup of all games ever for this challenge
Quite the opposite. RU will almost certainly be ranked, and I'm pretty optimistic about our own squad. Quality matchup, OBE feels, and the chance to hand them an L in the RAC where they went 18-1 last year. What's not to love?

Quite the opposite. RU will almost certainly be ranked, and I'm pretty optimistic about our own squad. Quality matchup, OBE feels, and the chance to hand them an L in the RAC where they went 18-1 last year. What's not to love?

I think you read my post wrong. “of all games” I meant for all the teams playing not SU. I like the SU matchup. I meant everyone else.

I think you read my post wrong. “of all games” I meant for all the teams playing not SU. I like the SU matchup. I meant everyone else.
Gottcha. I have no idea what my expectations should be for the other squads and mostly just want to fill the gap and restore some sense of normalcy. Getting more and more excited about Cuse though!

Rutgers isn’t a bottom half Big Ten team.
This is an appropriate level matchup.
Rutgers has risen to half of the Big Ten.
With the pandemic this is the correct matchup as we won’t be too far away from campus.

It’s not like we are playing Northwestern and Penn State every year in this challenge.
Rutgers is probably a preseason top 25 ish team.
They were good last year but that’s one year. We’ll see if it lasts. Their defense was stellar but they’re terrible on the offensive end.

This has to be the most lackluster setup of all games ever for this challenge

Agreed.

Take: Syracuse, Duke, UNC, Louisville, and Virginia

Then take: Michigan, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Wisconsin

Occasionally sub in Maryland if they’re good and someone else is down.

Mix and match them.

Then match everyone else up.

Ya they would have, and they probably will this year too, they have been the laughing stock of college basketball and we are a top ten program, if they beat us this year they aren't going to to start winning recruiting battles against us.
top ten program?? hope you are right

Depends on how long of a time frame you’re looking at. Last 5 years we haven’t been. Any other time period longer than that, we easily are.
I mean we do have a final four and a sweet 16 in the last 5 years, I was talking all time.

You gotta think that schedules will start rolling out this week or next week at the latest. Per D1 Docket on twitter only 25 out of 357 teams have released a new one so far.

Could really use something definitive to look forward to with how football is going haha

This game won't be the same without RU's insanely jealous and bloodthirsty student section. IIRC the last three times they hosted us In Piscataway, they were on the business end of a top-10 spanking. This time the shoe will be on the other foot - as they're (pre-season) top 15 and we're not in the top 35.

I do like our team (we finally have a bench), but this will be a tough, early road test. Expect RU to be looking for vengeance, especially after their coach shows them the 'Jonny Upstairs Flynn' clip from January 10, 2009, which typified the rivalry:

Last edited:
This game won't be the same without RU's insanely jealous and bloodthirsty student section. IIRC the last three times we've played them In Piscataway, they got a top-10 spanking from us. This time the shoe will be on the other foot - as they're (pre-season) top 15 and we're not in the top 35.

I do like our team (we finally have a bench), but this will be a tough, early road test. Expect RU to be looking for vengeance, especially after their coach shows them this clip from January 10, 2009:

Never gets old.

Never gets old.
Never. The context is especially delicious - SU waltzing in (as usual in that era) with a lofty national ranking and high-flying athletes ready to administer a beat-down to rowdy RU fans. After the dunk, as much as I like to gripe about officiating, the ref's deserve credit for their (correct) no-call. A charge - like the one called on CJ in Durham - would have been a BS home-job, since (like in Durham) the secondary defender obviously slid over. At least in this instance the players decided the outcome - and quite emphatically.

Last edited:
This game won't be the same without RU's insanely jealous and bloodthirsty student section. IIRC the last three times we've played them In Piscataway, we administered a top-10 spanking. This time the shoe will be on the other foot - as they're (pre-season) top 15 and we're not in the top 35.

I do like our team (we finally have a bench), but this will be a tough, early road test. Expect RU to be looking for vengeance, especially after their coach shows them the 'Jonny Flynn facial' clip from January 10, 2009:

we get a break as there will not be anyone there. i hope jb is on top of his game

This game won't be the same without RU's insanely jealous and bloodthirsty student section. IIRC the last three times we've played them In Piscataway, we administered a top-10 spanking. This time the shoe will be on the other foot - as they're (pre-season) top 15 and we're not in the top 35.

I do like our team (we finally have a bench), but this will be a tough, early road test. Expect RU to be looking for vengeance, especially after their coach shows them the 'Jonny Upstairs Flynn' clip from January 10, 2009:

that was awesome. i was at that game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom