Scholarship $ ? | Syracusefan.com

Scholarship $ ?

SBU72

All Conference
I was having a discussion with a friend about paying atheletes in school. His big line is that the kids get $100,000 a year. Room, board, books, sneakers, etc. I told him that was so untrue, etc, etc. So he says ok, 70,000. He says the b-ball players get $70,000 a vear when all is said and done. Again I said I doubt it. So I need help. Can anybody tell me how much is an SU basketball scholarship worth. In total. Extras inculded. Of course he talks anout Notre Dame, Duke etc. But what about state schools like Ohio St, Mich St etc. They should be less at least for kids from in state. So can anybody have data for me?

I was having a discussion with a friend about paying atheletes in school. His big line is that the kids get $100,000 a year. Room, board, books, sneakers, etc. I told him that was so untrue, etc, etc. So he says ok, 70,000. He says the b-ball players get $70,000 a vear when all is said and done. Again I said I doubt it. So I need help. Can anybody tell me how much is an SU basketball scholarship worth. In total. Extras inculded. Of course he talks anout Notre Dame, Duke etc. But what about state schools like Ohio St, Mich St etc. They should be less at least for kids from in state. So can anybody have data for me?

I only know that tuition, room, board and fees is about $63k. But they get full attendance cost which I think includes books, travel and incidentals. So $70k isn’t too far off.

I only know that tuition, room, board and fees is about $63k. But they get full attendance cost which I think includes books, travel and incidentals. So $70k isn’t too far off.

In addition eligible players get a pell grant worth around $6k to $7k a year to spend. Don’t players also now get a stipend of a few thousand $?

I did argue that if total cost is about 70k, almost all students get grants, liks Pell grants. I know when my son was looking at colleges 4 years ago, all said that like 75 to 80% get finanical assistence.!

In addition eligible players get a pell grant worth around $6k to $7k a year to spend. Don’t players also now get a stipend of a few thousand $?

I’m not sure who does or doesn’t get Pell grants but yes they do get a stipend for full cost of attendance. That covers the things like travel and incidentals which is different at each school.

$70,636 for full cost of attendance next year.

I assume that doesn't include the legal benefits you get as a result of playing on the team eg. Travel and Lodging to a variety of sites for tournaments and games. I mean I know in some ways its "business" when they travel to the Bahamas to play in the Battle for Atlantis, but there is an element of "experience" to it as well that has a value beyond doing a job for SU. Also free personal training, medical treatment etc. Those kinds of things aren't necessarily thought of as "benefits", but they are things non-participants/players have to pay for.

Last edited:
I assume that doesn't include the legal benefits you get as a result of playing on the team eg. Travel and Lodging to a variety of sites for tournaments and games. I mean I know in some ways its "business" when they travel to the Bahamas to play in the Battle for Atlantis, but there is an element of "experience" to it as well that has a value beyond doing a job for SU. Also free personal training, medical treatment etc. Those kinds of things aren't necessarily thought of as "benefits", but they are things not participants have to pay for.
At SU, they also get free legal counsel for most things, but that's through the student government.

The issue is that other students on scholarship are not prohibited from earning money while in school, nor are they essentially mandated to attend school in the summer, diminishing their ability to earn $ in the summer.

$70,636 for full cost of attendance next year.
That's insane!! I went to SU 15 or so years ago, and the total cost of attending was probably less than half that. Thankfully, a scholarship helped take it down a good chunk from there. But wow, crazy how much college prices have increased over the past 10-15 years...

I assume they are getting free health care as well?

I assume they are getting free health care as well?

No. You either have to show proof of insurance or pay about $1700.

That's insane!! I went to SU 15 or so years ago, and the total cost of attending was probably less than half that. Thankfully, a scholarship helped take it down a good chunk from there. But wow, crazy how much college prices have increased over the past 10-15 years...

Tuition alone next year is $50,230.

Tuition alone next year is $50,230.

And yet thousands of poor souls will be studying something in basic arts and sciences or psychology.

And yet thousands of poor souls will be studying something in basic arts and sciences or psychology.
Can we kill off this passe' idea once and for all? Even the pessimistic article of these two ends with the sentence, "A career is a lifelong project, and underemployment, even for liberal-arts students, appears to be a temporary condition."

Can we kill off this passe' idea once and for all? Even the pessimistic article of these two ends with the sentence, "A career is a lifelong project, and underemployment, even for liberal-arts students, appears to be a temporary condition."

Can I get a brief summary/recap of these articles?

Can I get a brief summary/recap of these articles?
The idea of the "English-major barista" came about in the Great Recession (when nobody could get a job) but has since faded away to the point that over the long term, major doesn't matter. And the idea really takes a hit when you consider basically no one going to law or graduate business schools majors in STEM and medical schools honestly don't care about your major. A doctor friend who went to Med School 40 years ago was an Econ major.

I did argue that if total cost is about 70k, almost all students get grants, liks Pell grants. I know when my son was looking at colleges 4 years ago, all said that like 75 to 80% get finanical assistence.!
I believe when they say "financial assistance" that includes loans.

The issue is that other students on scholarship are not prohibited from earning money while in school, nor are they essentially mandated to attend school in the summer, diminishing their ability to earn $ in the summer.
Essentially mandated and mandated aren't the same things. There are guys that leave. Most guys take advantage of the summer sessions to get ahead in classes to either graduate early or lighten the load during the season. I'm not sure other types of scholarships even allow for summer sessions. Most that I'm aware of pay for fall and spring semesters. Students are on the hook for anything above and beyond.

If we look at the history of student athletes having jobs, we can blame boosters for screwing that up. The NCAA got wise to players being paid for jobs they didn't attend or way overpaid for what would typically be minimum wage jobs and tried to close a loophole.

Last edited:
Essentially mandated and mandated aren't the same things. There are guys that leave. Most guys take advantage of the summer sessions to get ahead in classes to either graduate early or lighten the load during the season. I'm not sure other types of scholarships even allow for summer sessions. Most that I'm aware of, pay for fall and spring semesters. Students are on the hook for anything above and beyond.

If we look at the history of student athletes having jobs, we can blame boosters for screwing that up. The NCAA got wise to players being paid for jobs they didn't attend or way overpaid for what would typically be minimum wage jobs and tried to close a loophole.
Not the point. They can't work during the year, and with summer classes, weight room and unofficial practices, there is often not time to hold a regular summer job.