Scholarship $ ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scholarship $ ?

Not the point. They can't work during the year, and with summer classes, weight room and unofficial practices, there is often not time to hold a regular summer job.
Calling BS. They're not required to take classes, they choose to for reasons I listed above. Lifting is something lots of people do that have fulltime jobs and families and they pay for gym access and exercise guidance that is included in an athletic scholarship. I busted my butt 60-80 hrs/wk all summer every summer and weekends in a factory so I could pay for in state tuition, transportation, etc. without having to take out loans.

I'll never be convinced that an athlete recieving private school tuition, room/board, and a stipend is getting a raw deal. If it's so horrible, go my route. If god had blessed me with a 6'10" frame without sacrificing the althleticism I had at 5'10", I'd have gladly traded my route for theirs.

Last edited:
Don't forget the great t-shirts and hats the players get for a national championship run. Roy Williams earns nearly one million dollars in bonuses for a national championship. That seems fair to me.

Don't forget the great t-shirts and hats the players get for a national championship run. Roy Williams earns nearly one million dollars in bonuses for a national championship. That seems fair to me.
But they are getting that fine faux education from UNC.

If we are to look at this as a business, we can compare to other businesses. Executives get annual multimillion dollar bonuses while the workers as the bottom hope for raises that keep up with cost of living. That's true in the white collar and blue collar world for people with decades of working experience. Athletes paying their dues for a few years while recieving an education before they hit the lottery is way down on the list of social injustices.

Last edited:
The next bubble that burst is the cost of higher education - give me $280,000 at 18 and I will make my way just fine.
And you'd probably be wrong. That money is less than what it cost to raise one child in NYS to 18 (without college education). The stats on college degrees don't lie .. especially in the information age (knowledge economy). It's nearly always worth it to have a degree.

Is College Worth It? Clearly, New Data Say

And you'd probably be wrong. That money is less than what it cost to raise one child in NYS to 18 (without college education). The stats on college degrees don't lie .. especially in the information age (knowledge economy). It's nearly always worth it to have a degree.

But there are studies showing there are more economical ways to do it that the traditional method. Online education and the growth of community colleges are biting into traditional 4 year schools a bit. For some the cost won't ever matter, but for others the alternative routes are the only way it will ever be affordable.

Last edited:
But there are studies showing there are more econimical ways to do it that the traditional method. Online education and the growth of community colleges are biting into traditional 4 year schools a bit. For some the cost won't ever matter, but for others the alternative routes are the only way it will ever be affordable.
Sure, there are different options and some students cannot afford elite private universities. Totally understandable. Community colleges represent (my guess) about 65% of all students. There are also SUNY schools, which don't cost as much but are very good schools.

I'm not versed in "on-line", but that's certainly an option for SOME courses, IMO primarily post-graduate courses. At the undergraduate level, being there is very important. It's not just attending class, it's the college community, the friendships, the growth and development that occurs in an educational setting, etc.. But while that's desirable it's not possible for every student.

As far as the .com (for-profit) places, totally different story. Their product is set up for a different population. And there is a lot of fraud and misrepresentation with many of them.

Sure, there are different options and some students cannot afford elite private universities. Totally understandable. Community colleges represent (my guess) about 65% of all students. There are also SUNY schools, which don't cost as much but are very good schools.

I'm not versed in "on-line", but that's certainly an option for SOME courses, IMO primarily post-graduate courses. At the undergraduate level, being there is very important. It's not just attending class, it's the college community, the friendships, the growth and development that occurs in an educational setting, etc.. But while that's desirable it's not possible for every student.

As far as the .com (for-profit) places, totally different story. Their product is set up for a different population. And there is a lot of fraud and misrepresentation with many of them.
I think a lot of the growth with internet education is starting to come from traditional schools reaching out to non-trad students interested in bachelor's degrees. I've seen more advertising for that the last few years.

If money is really an issue, I recommend going the community college route and then to SU or the college of your choice. My wife went to TC3 for 2 years and then to SU where she graduated Cum Laude. Guess what? Her degree says Syracuse University same as those that went 4 years.

Never did I say I wouldn't get a degree or attend college.

So on that healthcare topic, somebody like Sidibe who just had surgery, I have to assume that is all paid for by the athletic dept right? And of course, that covers what amounts to pre-existing conditions since a guy could show up with shaky knees or something and they're still going to patch him up if he's on scholarship. That is a gigantic value because one would assume they get top quality treatments and doctors.

So on that healthcare topic, somebody like Sidibe who just had surgery, I have to assume that is all paid for by the athletic dept right? And of course, that covers what amounts to pre-existing conditions since a guy could show up with shaky knees or something and they're still going to patch him up if he's on scholarship. That is a gigantic value because one would assume they get top quality treatments and doctors.
Yep, and the OP wanted to know about shoes, etc. They get many pairs of Nike's, and full Nike jumpsuits, different clothes, jackets etc.

Yep, and the OP wanted to know about shoes, etc. They get many pairs of Nike's, and full Nike jumpsuits, different clothes, jackets etc.
I knew a girl on the Tennessee crew team. She got so much free clothing she gave some away. If a member of the crew team gets that, what do the revenue athletes get?

I knew a girl on the Tennessee crew team. She got so much free clothing she gave some away. If a member of the crew team gets that, what do the revenue athletes get?
True, I have 2 full Nike suits, shorts, shirts etc. and I was only a cousin, lol.

That's insane!! I went to SU 15 or so years ago, and the total cost of attending was probably less than half that. Thankfully, a scholarship helped take it down a good chunk from there. But wow, crazy how much college prices have increased over the past 10-15 years...
Ok here is a further perspective. Graduated from Bona in 72. Pd for college pretty much by myself. Worked summers. TOTAL loan obligation was less than $10k. My son at RIT has YERALY loans of $9 - 10k. He looked at Bona and tution/board was almost 10x what I paid 40 years ago.

I believe when they say "financial assistance" that includes loans.
Assistence was grants and scholarship. Not sure how goverment backed loans were considered. Some of those have no interest until after graduation and others only interest on the principle until after graduation. And interest is low.

I fully agree about alternate ways of getting education. Hopefully managment will catch up with this idea. I personally know of managers and companies who who determined the knowledge a person got by where they got it.

Assistence was grants and scholarship. Not sure how goverment backed loans were considered. Some of those have no interest until after graduation and others only interest on the principle until after graduation. And interest is low.
It has been 18 years since I left academia, but when I was in school my financial assistance package included Federal loans, which I did not owe interest on until graduation, and work study jobs.

I know how the loans work. I had to use them when I went back to school for a career change. I was just pointing out that loans are often included under that umbrella of financial assistance when it is stated "X% recieve financial aid." People that don't realize that may assume they have a better chance at a grant or scholarship than they do.

I was having a discussion with a friend about paying atheletes in school. His big line is that the kids get $100,000 a year. Room, board, books, sneakers, etc. I told him that was so untrue, etc, etc. So he says ok, 70,000. He says the b-ball players get $70,000 a vear when all is said and done. Again I said I doubt it. So I need help. Can anybody tell me how much is an SU basketball scholarship worth. In total. Extras inculded. Of course he talks anout Notre Dame, Duke etc. But what about state schools like Ohio St, Mich St etc. They should be less at least for kids from in state. So can anybody have data for me?

Yeah - definitely north of $70,000 per year.

If they add in a few trips for the parents and a few thousand more in spending money, its not an awful deal at all.

I think Kemba Walker (someone from UConn) claimed to go hungry. I find that bananas untrue. Craig Forth used to buy for everyone in line at Kimmel or Schine because he had unlimited (or plenty of) funds on his SUID. It was a known thing. My buddy was a trainer for the football team. They had really nice dinners pretty often. Im talking lobster and steak.