Scoooop... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scoooop...

I'd be very interested in hearing how you got rid of them. Thx.

Best story of the yips I have ever seen personally. Was playing with Ron Ajemian (owner of Liverpool) in a Post Standard Amateur round probably 12 years ago. He used to putt with a bullseye style putter and would switch from left to right occasionally because he had a SERIOUS case of the yips for years.

Anyways we get to one hole and he putts it right handed from like 30 feet and lags it to about 2 feet. He walks up to it to finish, stands over it and literally freezes like he is made of stone for about 20 seconds. Could not pull the trigger. Then all of a sudden he steps back, yells out "f uck!", quickly flips around and knocks it in left handed before anyone knew what the hell he was doing. Blew my mind.

That first one he shot tonight was just sad - barely hit rim. Half of his misses aren't even close to going in.

No doubt,he is definitely thinking about it at the line.

I bet you have never had the yips.
I know the yips are a mental thing, but what happens is the person gets anxious over the putt and tries to steer it into the cup. Part of that steering (caused by the anxiety) is reflected by deceleration.

There's an actual "physics" component to the yips/deceleration. (I'm sure the vector/acceleration mathematical breakdown will bore you).

The best thing to do is to intentionally practice decelerating strokes (fast takeaway and slow to stopping follow thru) to see what the ball does. Much more difficult to control. Then practice a very slow takeaway, accelerating from transition point thru ball impact into a nice extended finish. You will notice a difference.

Best cure for the yips is to build confidence. Best way to build confidence is to know the proper components of the putting stroke, and successfully execute them.

I started shouting "Scoop eats at Big Kahuna Burger!!!!" at my TV screen after he nailed that huge 3.

images

Dagger. That is awsome.

I know the yips are a mental thing, but what happens is the person gets anxious over the putt and tries to steer it into the cup. Part of that steering (caused by the anxiety) is reflected by deceleration.

There's an actual "physics" component to the yips/deceleration. (I'm sure the vector/acceleration mathematical breakdown will bore you).

The best thing to do is to intentionally practice decelerating strokes (fast takeaway and slow to stopping follow thru) to see what the ball does. Much more difficult to control. Then practice a very slow takeaway, accelerating from transition point thru ball impact into a nice extended finish. You will notice a difference.

Best cure for the yips is to build confidence. Best way to build confidence is to know the proper components of the putting stroke, and successfully execute them.

I'll take that as a 'yes'.

Still don't get how he could steadily go from 80+% his freshman year to around 50% this year.
I just posted how Scoops shooting percentage has gone up while his FT% has gone down. So his improved shooting motion has helped in one area but not the other.

I'd be very interested in hearing how you got rid of them. Thx.

The problem is that you create the yips in your own head. Good putters don't wonder why they missed they know they hit a bad putt, they know they are good putters and they make the next one no need for more analysis. In golf a common mistake is concentrating on what you don't want to do rather than what you do want to do (this is exagerated in putting because the stroke and motion is slower than a full swing and easier for your brain to change the course of mid stroke). If your last thought before putting was "don't push it" you'll push it more often than not. Your last thoughts should always be about what you ARE going to do which is use your established putting stroke to hit a good put that rolls on the line you have aimed it. Another tip is always aim a bit past the hole (about a foot or so) , helps your follow through and keeps the ball rolling agressively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom