Scrimmage Jan 26 / Hofstra - Vermont | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Scrimmage Jan 26 / Hofstra - Vermont

Refhuss and Voigt are synchronized . Voigt doesn't have to be a dodger . He moves very well off ball , has very good hands and quick release . Think our attack is going to be very good

'Cuse Posts Strong Showing in Opening Scrimmages - Syracuse University Athletics

The Orange defeated Hofstra 12-5 tied Vermont 11-11, with both scrimmages spanning three quarters.

'Cuse looked solid across different areas in the action, beginning at the faceoff X 27-of-42 in the two games, including a 19-of-25 game against the Catamounts. Danny Varello went 12-of-14 in the Vermont game before winning 6-of-8 restarts against Hofstra to lead the unit. Jakob Phaup combined to win 9-of-14 at the X as well over the two games.

Offensively, the wealth was spread around. Brendan Curry got things started with a five point morning against Vermont, contributing three goals and two assists. Stephen Rehfuss (1-2), Jamie Trimboli (2-2), and Bradley Voigt (2-0) also contributed multiple points to the affair. Griffin Cook, Nate Solomon and Owen Seebold found the back of the net too.

Drake Porter made five saves over the first two quarters as well.

While the Vermont scrimmage was a back-and-forth, spirited game. 'Cuse came out firing in the second game of the day, drubbing Hofstra 12-5. Rehfuss (3-2) and Voigt (2-2) were the only multi-point scorers against the Pride as nine players scored in the game.

Jacob Buttermore, Seebold, Trimboli, Cook, Pat Carlin, Justin Kim and Andrew Kim contributed goals, with Curry, Matt Magnan, Nate Solomon and Peter Dearth adding assists.

Three players split time in cage, with Porter playing a quarter and a half, making four saves and allowing just three goals. Willie Klan (four saves) and Nate McPeak (four saves) allowed one goal each in relief.

'Cuse Posts Strong Showing in Opening Scrimmages - Syracuse University Athletics

The Orange defeated Hofstra 12-5 tied Vermont 11-11, with both scrimmages spanning three quarters.

'Cuse looked solid across different areas in the action, beginning at the faceoff X 27-of-42 in the two games, including a 19-of-25 game against the Catamounts. Danny Varello went 12-of-14 in the Vermont game before winning 6-of-8 restarts against Hofstra to lead the unit. Jakob Phaup combined to win 9-of-14 at the X as well over the two games.

Offensively, the wealth was spread around. Brendan Curry got things started with a five point morning against Vermont, contributing three goals and two assists. Stephen Rehfuss (1-2), Jamie Trimboli (2-2), and Bradley Voigt (2-0) also contributed multiple points to the affair. Griffin Cook, Nate Solomon and Owen Seebold found the back of the net too.

Drake Porter made five saves over the first two quarters as well.

While the Vermont scrimmage was a back-and-forth, spirited game. 'Cuse came out firing in the second game of the day, drubbing Hofstra 12-5. Rehfuss (3-2) and Voigt (2-2) were the only multi-point scorers against the Pride as nine players scored in the game.

Jacob Buttermore, Seebold, Trimboli, Cook, Pat Carlin, Justin Kim and Andrew Kim contributed goals, with Curry, Matt Magnan, Nate Solomon and Peter Dearth adding assists.

Three players split time in cage, with Porter playing a quarter and a half, making four saves and allowing just three goals. Willie Klan (four saves) and Nate McPeak (four saves) allowed one goal each in relief.

Like the faceoff and group scoring. Like the Hofstra score. Not a big fan of tiring Vermont. Still seems like a successful scrimmage.

The Syracuse lacrosse team will be without the services of defensive midfielder Dami Oladunmoye and defender Jerry Staats this season.

Orange coach John Desko revealed the statuses of the players after the team hosted a pair of scrimmages against Vermont and Hofstra on Saturday.

Desko said Oladunmoye, a sophomore, is academically ineligible and that Staats, a junior transfer from OCC, suffered a season-ending injury a few days ago and is likely done for the year.

The Syracuse lacrosse team will be without the services of defensive midfielder Dami Oladunmoye and defender Jerry Staats this season.

Orange coach John Desko revealed the statuses of the players after the team hosted a pair of scrimmages against Vermont and Hofstra on Saturday.

Desko said Oladunmoye, a sophomore, is academically ineligible and that Staats, a junior transfer from OCC, suffered a season-ending injury a few days ago and is likely done for the year.

Dammit

Like the faceoff and group scoring. Like the Hofstra score. Not a big fan of tiring Vermont. Still seems like a successful scrimmage.
Agreed about the group scoring, not as sure about the FO's, only because I'm not sure of who went up against whom. Given the total and the Vermont numbers, that meant we went 8-17 against Hofstra. Then again, approximately 50% is better than some of our games last year. ;)

Ugh

Syracuse 11, Vermont 11 (three quarters)

Scoring
Brendan Curry, 3-2; Stephen Rehfuss, 1-2; Jamie Trimboli, 2-2; Bradley Voigt, 2-0; Griffin Cook, 1-0; Nate Solomon, 1-0; Owen Seebold, 1-0

Goalies
Drake Porter (five saves)
Luke Strang (two saves)

Faceoffs
Danny Varello 12-of-14; Jakob Phaup, 7-of-10; Nick Martin, 0-of-1

Syracuse 12, Hofstra 5 (three quarters)

Scoring
Stephen Rehfuss, 3-2; Bradley Voigt, 2-2; Jacob Buttermore, 1-0; Owen Seebold, 1-0; Jamie Trimboli, 1-0; Griffin Cook, 1-0; Pat Carlin, 1-0; Justin Kim, 1-0; Andrew Kim, 1-0; Nate Solomon, 0-1; Matt Magnan, 0-1; Brendan Curry, 0-1; Peter Dearth, 0-1.

Goalies
Drake Porter, 4 saves
Willie Klan III, 4 saves
Nathan McPeak, 4 saves

Faceoffs
Danny Varello, 6-of-8 ; Jacob Phaup, 2-of-4; Nick Martin, 0-of-2; Nate Garlow 0-of-3

A little confused.

Desko was asked about Likpa and #35. Said that #35 is running pretty well and he's coming along.

Except that #35 is Dami.

Unless Dordevic switched numbers?

Unless Desko got confused?

At least he didn't tip his cap to the other teams.

Syracuse 11, Vermont 11 (three quarters)

Scoring
Brendan Curry, 3-2; Stephen Rehfuss, 1-2; Jamie Trimboli, 2-2; Bradley Voigt, 2-0; Griffin Cook, 1-0; Nate Solomon, 1-0; Owen Seebold, 1-0

Goalies
Drake Porter (five saves)
Luke Strang (two saves)

Faceoffs
Danny Varello 12-of-14; Jakob Phaup, 7-of-10; Nick Martin, 0-of-1

Syracuse 12, Hofstra 5 (three quarters)

Scoring
Stephen Rehfuss, 3-2; Bradley Voigt, 2-2; Jacob Buttermore, 1-0; Owen Seebold, 1-0; Jamie Trimboli, 1-0; Griffin Cook, 1-0; Pat Carlin, 1-0; Justin Kim, 1-0; Andrew Kim, 1-0; Nate Solomon, 0-1; Matt Magnan, 0-1; Brendan Curry, 0-1; Peter Dearth, 0-1.

Goalies
Drake Porter, 4 saves
Willie Klan III, 4 saves
Nathan McPeak, 4 saves

Faceoffs
Danny Varello, 6-of-8 ; Jacob Phaup, 2-of-4; Nick Martin, 0-of-2; Nate Garlow 0-of-3
OK, I feel a bit better about the FO's now.

Varello had himself a day.

A little confused.

Desko was asked about Likpa and #35. Said that #35 is running pretty well and he's coming along.

Except that #35 is Dami.

Unless Dordevic switched numbers?

Unless Desko got confused?

At least he didn't tip his cap to the other teams.

Think he was talking about Dordevic

Ugh that sucks about Staats, thought he had a shot at breaking into the starting line at close defense. Good news is that SU is pretty deep there.

What

Dang I guess consider ourselves lucky that they weren't super crucial pieces of the puzzle. Losing another short stick Middle along with Hutchings could potentially be a problem. Down to helmer dearth shwasnick and Murphy for old faces. Since all 6 pretty much equally disappointing last year it's not the worst thing that could happen.

Dang I guess consider ourselves lucky that they weren't super crucial pieces of the puzzle. Losing another short stick Middle along with Hutchings could potentially be a problem. Down to helmer dearth shwasnick and Murphy for old faces. Since all 6 pretty much equally disappointing last year it's not the worst thing that could happen.
I was looking forward to seeing how much (or if) Dami improved from last season. Helmer has been playing pole, but I think this forces our hand to put him back at short stick. I don’t recall seeing Schwasnick as a ssdm in a settled 6-on-6 situation, just as a FOGO wing. If I’m right how did he get surpassed by two true frosh in Dami and Murphy for such a critical position? Dami and Murphy were out there regularly.

I don’t have a lot of faith seeing true frosh ssdm. That position comes with an obvious target as teams always look to exploit that matchup, and there were times last season when both Dami and Murphy were out there together, which was a head scratcher for me. Without seeing any of fall ball or scrimmages to date, I have no idea what our actual ssdm depth (quantity) or quality is like, but I wonder how Vermont was attacking us to the tune of 11 goals in 3 quarters when we seemed to control face-offs. In short, I’m still worried about our ssdm, they’ll be inexperienced to say the least.

I was looking forward to seeing how much (or if) Dami improved from last season. Helmer has been playing pole, but I think this forces our hand to put him back at short stick. I don’t recall seeing Schwasnick as a ssdm in a settled 6-on-6 situation, just as a FOGO wing. If I’m right how did he get surpassed by two true frosh in Dami and Murphy for such a critical position? Dami and Murphy were out there regularly.

I don’t have a lot of faith seeing true frosh ssdm. That position comes with an obvious target as teams always look to exploit that matchup, and there were times last season when both Dami and Murphy were out there together, which was a head scratcher for me. Without seeing any of fall ball or scrimmages to date, I have no idea what our actual ssdm depth (quantity) or quality is like, but I wonder how Vermont was attacking us to the tune of 11 goals in 3 quarters when we seemed to control face-offs. In short, I’m still worried about our ssdm, they’ll be inexperienced to say the least.
Maybe a pole can switch to a short stick

Jerry Staats will have 3 years of eligibility left only played one season at OCC huge loss either way he is an incredible talent

I had Dami pegged as a starting ssdm going into this year, I think his loss is pretty big. Really not sure who replaces him, even though I know there are a lot of candidates. Everyone (even Dearth who I know we are all excited about) has question marks. Helmer and Murphy are my best guess but they still make me nervous.

Giving up 11 goals to Vermont is surprising, but hope it lights a fire for the defense. Starting close defense really doesn’t have any excuses this year. Like Thunder Road points out, a lot of pressure rests with the short sticks.

Stinks about Staats, though excited to know we have him for next year, I assume he will slot into a starting role.

Wonder who started on the first line with both Dordevic and Lipka out?

Couple of concerns: Varello stats look good, but goalie stats look bad against Vermont. Could it be that FO group lost the ball after several initial wins like last year? Goalie a source of concern? C'mon, eleven goals for Vermont.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom