Sean Tucker | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Sean Tucker

Did you read the article I posted in one of my previous replies? It explained the difference.

It includes this line: "Therefore, based on this experiment data (and only accounting for human error at the start not the finish line), the average hand timed 40-yard run is 0.18 ± .08 seconds “faster” than a fully automated time."

if the coach is slow to acknowledge the start, might he also be slow to acknowledge the finish? And if the 4.29 is 0.8 seconds off that would still make Tucker's sped comparable to both Jordan's and Etienne's, not worse. it should also be noted that the article says that several coaches were called over to measure his 40 speed and they all got readings from 4.27-4.29. 4.29 was the conservative reading.

And, again, this is really beside the point. the question was: is Tucker a freshman version of Etienne running behind a Syracuse line?

Yeah, hate to burst your guy's bubble but I don't think any recruits really care enough to wear 44.
I hate to say it as much as 44 means to us what does it mean to a high school kid? Their grandfather's only remember those guys.

Again, I say that if you announced it as thing we were doing and told the histories of the 44's to create interest, you'd really only need one guy to decide to go for it to get this thing going. You guys are describing the situation as it is now, not what we could make of it with some effort.

Again, I say that if you announced it as thing we were doing and told the histories of the 44's to create interest, you'd really only need one guy to decide to go for it to get this thing going. You guys are describing the situation as it is now, not what we could make of it with some effort.
It would have to be someone special like heisman candidate special and who knows maybe Tucker is that. Reyes was always the guy I thought could have been a 44 guy.

It includes this line: "Therefore, based on this experiment data (and only accounting for human error at the start not the finish line), the average hand timed 40-yard run is 0.18 ± .08 seconds “faster” than a fully automated time."

if the coach is slow to acknowledge the start, might he also be slow to acknowledge the finish? And if the 4.29 is 0.8 seconds off that would still make Tucker's sped comparable to both Jordan's and Etienne's, not worse. it should also be noted that the article says that several coaches were called over to measure his 40 speed and they all got readings from 4.27-4.29. 4.29 was the conservative reading.

And, again, this is really beside the point. the question was: is Tucker a freshman version of Etienne running behind a Syracuse line?
This is just one article. And you're reading the data wrong. The difference isn't .08, that was the +/-. They found that the hand times were "faster" by an average of .18 with a range of .10 to .26. There have been other articles posted on here that I'm not going bother finding and posting, and the study I posted references that it is "generally accepted by professionals" that hand times are faster. The other articles also all conclude that hand timed 40 times have consistently been inaccurately faster than electronically timed. There certainly is a chance that hand timers could err the same way at the finish as the start but that's not likely. At the start, they have to react to the athlete starting his movement whereas at the finish line there is an aspect of anticipating the finish and clicking the watch on time or an instant early. The difference between the methods is why everyone at the NFL combine has historically timed slower than any other time they've ever had and why so few guys have ever timed below 4.3 at the combine. The differences in times is probably changing a little now that electronic timing has trickled down to lower levels and also explains why guys that are considered to be really fast in high school now seem to have slower times than guys did 20 years ago. Remember when Jammi German was supposed to run sub 4.2?

To answer the last question, probably not quite, but certainly the closest we've had in a long time.

Tucker was and still is the Maryland State high school 55 meter champion, I would believe that 4.29 40 time all day long, hand timed or not.
Ok. He's definitely fast. I'll believe what the science says. It ultimately won't matter to the guys trying to tackle him.

This is just one article. And you're reading the data wrong. The difference isn't .08, that was the +/-. They found that the hand times were "faster" by an average of .18 with a range of .10 to .26. There have been other articles posted on here that I'm not going bother finding and posting, and the study I posted references that it is "generally accepted by professionals" that hand times are faster. The other articles also all conclude that hand timed 40 times have consistently been inaccurately faster than electronically timed. There certainly is a chance that hand timers could err the same way at the finish as the start but that's not likely. At the start, they have to react to the athlete starting his movement whereas at the finish line there is an aspect of anticipating the finish and clicking the watch on time or an instant early. The difference between the methods is why everyone at the NFL combine has historically timed slower than any other time they've ever had and why so few guys have ever timed below 4.3 at the combine. The differences in times is probably changing a little now that electronic timing has trickled down to lower levels and also explains why guys that are considered to be really fast in high school now seem to have slower times than guys did 20 years ago. Remember when Jammi German was supposed to run sub 4.2?

To answer the last question, probably not quite, but certainly the closest we've had in a long time.

The bottom line is that Tucker, Jordan and Etienne are unlikely to be caught from behind. Whatever differences there are in them lie elsewhere.

I hate to say it as much as 44 means to us what does it mean to a high school kid? Their grandfather's only remember those guys.

Of course no one knows, we haven’t rolled out 44 in 30 years.

I firmly believe that if wehave a guy in house that’s a Jr or Sr who is kicking butt and taking names we should bestow that history upon him. Then we start rebuilding that in the eyes of kids and recruits.

it will NEVER mean anything again unless it is used. It should be used and allow the legend to re-grow.

is Tucker that guy? Too early to tell, but if he is the guy we think (as a future NFLer) then we should give him the honor in his final season and task him with helping restore the legacy and having kids who want to be the next Sean Tucker and subsequently the next 44

Of course no one knows, we haven’t rolled out 44 in 30 years.

I firmly believe that if wehave a guy in house that’s a Jr or Sr who is kicking butt and taking names we should bestow that history upon him. Then we start rebuilding that in the eyes of kids and recruits.

it will NEVER mean anything again unless it is used. It should be used and allow the legend to re-grow.

is Tucker that guy? Too early to tell, but if he is the guy we think (as a future NFLer) then we should give him the honor in his final season and task him with helping restore the legacy and having kids who want to be the next Sean Tucker and subsequently the next 44
If he continues on the track he's on, I don't think you have to wait for senior year. You could give it as a junior. If he even wanted it.

Maybe in the upcoming years, the #44 will just be a higher paying position.

If he continues on the track he's on, I don't think you have to wait for senior year. You could give it as a junior. If he even wanted it.

I did say final season for a reason ;)

I don’t care what his forty time is, I just want to enjoy watching a kid who looks like a running back when he runs. It’s night and day compared to what we’ve seen recently

The bottom line is that Tucker, Jordan and Etienne are unlikely to be caught from behind. Whatever differences there are in them lie elsewhere.
Unless someone has a DK Metcalf clone in their secondary.

You don't need science at all, he ran track in HS just look up the times he ran officially. Its not hard, there are actual officially timed results out there.
I did and I posted that in a previous post. It reinforced what I said about him being less fast (see what I did there) than Jordan, who was electronically timed at 4.37. Why are some people acting like I'm insulting the kid? I'm not. He's really fast. But I'm a stickler for accuracy. 4.4 is really fast.

I did and I posted that in a previous post. It reinforced what I said about him being less fast (see what I did there) than Jordan, who was electronically timed at 4.37. Why are some people acting like I'm insulting the kid? I'm not. He's really fast. But I'm a stickler for accuracy. 4.4 is really fast.
You posted Sean Tucker's track and 55 meter official times in another post...what one was it?

Well, here they are if you didn't Sean Tucker

Tucker's PR was 6.41 FAT in the 55 meter...

Warrick Dunn's HS PR was 6.31 FAT and Rocket Ismail was 6.28 FAT.

Taking his 60m time of 6.99 translates to a 4.26 40 yard time. Taking his PR of 6.81 60m that translates to 4.15 for 40 yards. Which tells me that conversions aren't super accurate ways to calculate it even per milesplit calculations.

In any language using official Fully Automated Times, the kid is blazing fast.

You posted Sean Tucker's track and 55 meter official times in another post...what one was it?

Taking his 60m time of 6.99 translates to a 4.26 40 yard time. Taking his PR of 6.81 60m that translates to 4.15 for 40 yards. Which tells me that conversions aren't super accurate ways to calculate it even per milesplit calculations.

Keep in mind that speed is relative to distance. In a 100 meter race the more muscular sprinters dominate the first half because they can explode out of the blocks more powerfully. The longer-legged sprinters dominate the second half , eating up more territory with each stride. The fastest guy at 40 yards might not be the fastest guy at 60 meters or 100 meters.

Keep in mind that speed is relative to distance. In a 100 meter race the more muscular sprinters dominate the first half because they can explode out of the blocks more powerfully. The longer-legged sprinters dominate the second half , eating up more territory with each stride. The fastest guy at 40 yards might not be the fastest guy at 60 meters or 100 meters.
Understood, those calculations are using average speed over the distance run with the timed distance.

I posted the 100m time and Jordan's. I won't find the post. This thread isn't that long, it shouldn't be hard for you to find.

The conversions are off.

Yes, at a sub 11 sec 100m he is blazing fast.
I would be interested to know how many times in our history we have had more than one guy on the team that could run the 100 m in under 11 sec.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom