Season Picks | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Season Picks

- 2020 WAS a bit of a revamp for them. Had new shorties, several guys in other new roles, and started a freshman at close D (James Donaldson, who was very good). Defense was still great, albeit against weak competition. Warne has a good system in place.
- It's not "suddenly" a fantastic unit. They were exceptional in 2018 as well, #10 in adjusted defensive efficiency that year, which takes into account the strength of the opposing offense. 2019 was the blip year. Not 2020. The defense is trending up.
I dont think you can write off the most recent full season of the D giving up big numbers to nearly every good team they faced simply a "blip." Trending in the right direction? Looks like it. But not enough evidence there to call them "one of the best defenses in the country" especially with those recent poor results in 2019. Also Kennedy has nobody in a league above him in college lax.

I dont think you can write off the most recent full season of the D giving up big numbers to nearly every good team they faced simply a "blip." Trending in the right direction? Looks like it. But not enough evidence there to call them "one of the best defenses in the country" especially with those recent poor results in 2019. Also Kennedy has nobody in a league above him in college lax.

Have you ever watched Gibson Smith play? He's the best player off the ground in the country, and a caused turnover machine. In the last full season he had 106 GBs and 34 CTs. In a league of his own.

Going to just have to disagree I guess because I think there is more than enough evidence to say Georgetown has one of the best defenses in the league. When you're in the top 10 in adjusted efficiency two of the last three years that says something. I think Loyola is the only other team to hit that mark. Yes their 2020 competition was weak (so was a lot of teams') but they were holding most of their opponents well below their season averages. Even accounting for their opponents they had the best defense in D1 last year according to Lacrosse Reference analysis. But I suppose Syracuse's was still better because it's impossible anyone is better than them at anything.

Close friends with parents of two gtown starters and privy to their thoughts as well as having watching couple of games with them over the years . Fear that Gtown was even having a season but now anticipating Denver and themselves as cream of Big East (sorry Villy) View D as good but special is bit much. Scheme does differ from Cuse. Smith obvious a top d talent ,freakish gb's n slides well but his m2m is not Mellenish. At goalie, some surprise that Brandau left in 20". McElroy can be on/off like any but bee spectacular at times and his outlets as well as Rode. Feel their offense led by Carraway doesn't get proper recognition. Upward trend and supposedly some very good recruiting classes. Good team , say it again that top ten imo . Quint is obviously in the show me camp with his 13th ranking .

Loyola zone D is excellent and their coaching staff does a great job mixing their looks. They have good size and length on that end . Cuse personnel not vertical or lengthy but athletic mostly m2m with slide later than earlier mentality. Cuse did lose three quick defenders though Wykoff and the two sophs Clary and Page are all very athletic. Individuals may shine but good team defense boils down to communication and coordination amongst all. Totally new cd unit was progressing , would have benefitted from a full season together and a regular fall/winter schedule. Same with others. Glad to hear team is resuming activities. Army awaits.

Don't think anyone can say Georgetown isn't getting some respect. IL Top 20 had them at #10 behind Yale at #9. As Yale is now toast, Georgetown becomes their de facto #9.

Have you ever watched Gibson Smith play? He's the best player off the ground in the country, and a caused turnover machine. In the last full season he had 106 GBs and 34 CTs. In a league of his own.

Going to just have to disagree I guess because I think there is more than enough evidence to say Georgetown has one of the best defenses in the league. When you're in the top 10 in adjusted efficiency two of the last three years that says something. I think Loyola is the only other team to hit that mark. Yes their 2020 competition was weak (so was a lot of teams') but they were holding most of their opponents well below their season averages. Even accounting for their opponents they had the best defense in D1 last year according to Lacrosse Reference analysis. But I suppose Syracuse's was still better because it's impossible anyone is better than them at anything.
Getting real tired of you ending every other post on here with a jab of some kind. We’re just discussing things and I’m presenting evidence as are you. No need for any sarcastic “it’s impossible anyone is better than Cuse at anything” type of line when I’ve clearly not abandoned evidence altogether with my arguements. We’re big fans but we also know what we’re talking about and are realistic. You called their entire last full season a blip and I’m not making some kind of sarcastic rude jab about that. Just politely disagreeing with that assessment. There is no need to be as rude as you are on here.

Those are impressive numbers, but I would have to know how much he lined up on the wings for FOs.

Getting real tired of you ending every other post on here with a jab of some kind. We’re just discussing things and I’m presenting evidence as are you. No need for any sarcastic “it’s impossible anyone is better than Cuse at anything” type of line when I’ve clearly not abandoned evidence altogether with my arguements. We’re big fans but we also know what we’re talking about and are realistic. You called their entire last full season a blip and I’m not making some kind of sarcastic rude jab about that. Just politely disagreeing with that assessment. There is no need to be as rude as you are on here.

What evidence have you presented that Syracuse has a better defense than Georgetown? That was the discussion we were having. You've made your case that you think I am overrating Georgetown but not being able to acknowledge the possibility their defense but not be as good as GTown's, or that they might have a player who is better than one of yours, is what elicited the sarcastic comment. I apologize if it was rude. I am a fan of neither team, but call out talent when and where I see it and the Georgetown kid is incredible.

Was hoping to get some CC suggestions on Netflix movies and some help betting lines of Islanders, JHU and Towson.

What evidence have you presented that Syracuse has a better defense than Georgetown? That was the discussion we were having. You've made your case that you think I am overrating Georgetown but not being able to acknowledge the possibility their defense but not be as good as GTown's, or that they might have a player who is better than one of yours, is what elicited the sarcastic comment. I apologize if it was rude. I am a fan of neither team, but call out talent when and where I see it and the Georgetown kid is incredible.
Sorry if not clear but I was really only challenging the claim that they have one of the best defenses in the country. I don't think there is any concrete evidence that Syracuse has a better D but I think there's also no evidence that GTown is better there than Cuse, for the reasons already discussed. Last mutual opponent was the 2019 Loyola team. GTown let in 16 and we let in 15 which is a wash. Nothing solid to go off in 2020 and there have been a good amount of personnel changes for both. The season was barely underway. It's possible they are better, but not enough there to make a remotely definitive call on it.

If I throw out some take like "those Hoyas are a failing basketball school who will never beat the mighty Orange in lax! 10 rings 2020 national champs WHOOO go orange!" then by all means bring me back down to earth with a comment. No need when I'm discussing things calmly with evidence, but it's all good. I'm not exactly without sin when it comes to being a little sassy on here. Dang I will even concede that I did not know Smith's stats were quite that bonkers. Yes stats tell less of the whole story for defense than offense, but you don't put up those numbers without being a serious talent, even if he is on every single faceoff wing. Will watch for him more closely in the future. Last full games of the Hoyas I saw were the Loyola and Yale games in 2019.

I am a fan of neither team, but call out talent when and where I see it and the Georgetown kid is incredible.
You certainly sound like a fan of Georgetown.

I'd put PSU and OSU in front of Georgetown in my rankings.

You certainly sound like a fan of Georgetown.

I'd put PSU and OSU in front of Georgetown in my rankings.

I am absolutely not a Georgetown fan. Am I not allowed to be a bit higher on them than the general consensus on a Syracuse fan board? I've already acknowledged Syracuse should be ranked higher. I just don't think the gap between the two teams is all that big.

Sorry if not clear but I was really only challenging the claim that they have one of the best defenses in the country. I don't think there is any concrete evidence that Syracuse has a better D but I think there's also no evidence that GTown is better there than Cuse, for the reasons already discussed. Last mutual opponent was the 2019 Loyola team. GTown let in 16 and we let in 15 which is a wash. Nothing solid to go off in 2020 and there have been a good amount of personnel changes for both. The season was barely underway. It's possible they are better, but not enough there to make a remotely definitive call on it.

Fair enough. I do think that, as advanced and accurate as lacrosse statistics can get (which still leaves much to be desired), Georgetown had a great defense last season, which is the most recent thing we have to go on. But I guess this will all get settled on the field this spring, God willing.

Anyone still think Georgetown doesn't have a top defense or...
Was wondering when you were going to mention that. Made a statement today that’s for sure. Pretty unprecedented even compared to anything they did last year. Nova has some offensive weapons.

Like to watch that game .Short preps affecting performances but very impressive win for Gtown in opener .

Previously mentioned Carraway was a star att. , he had eight goals today agaisnt decent Villy defenders. His career stats in games , goals , assists , are eerily identical to Buccaro who was a awesome grown att and Carraway has the rest of season to play.

Anyone still think Georgetown doesn't have a top defense or...
Certainly an impressive result.
But it is just one game, Hopkins opened last season with a 15-7 win over Towson.

It looks like Georgetown only has 3 games against top 20 teams: 2 with Denver and than Loyola at the start of the season.

Jastrzembski is still pretty locked into the SU program with solid sources & his takes have always been fair without “homer-ism”. For him to predict Hiltz as NFOY is quite telling.

Also, does it seem inevitable to anyone else that SU & G’town meet in the tourney?
Bump ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom