SELECTION SHOW - Commentary as It is Announced | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

SELECTION SHOW - Commentary as It is Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I concur. It's odd, your last sentence. I don't understand why that is.

I highly doubt any committee person is watching his pressers or reading his quotes.

I do wonder if JBs public antagonistic persona hurts at all in these situations. I want to be the team everyone likes. We seem to be the team everyone dislikes.
It's the worst of both worlds too. Disliked, but not dominant like UK and Duke...

It seems that most of people inside the game like him though.
Coaches etc I agree. But the public perception is not generally good and we have some frosty media relationships

I'm not going to argue we didn't face a lot of adversity. Losing schollies, Malachi leaving at least a year too early, etc.

Just that the committee was judging 18-14. Mediocre teams have some good wins all the time. That's what we were, by the numbers, a mediocre team.
And I am definitely not arguing with you either. Nothing you say is untrue (as usual).

I am just tossing out some counterpoints.

This team both made its own bed and also provided me with many more positive moments than I thought they would give me after the start we had...

We werent going against just USC. thats ignorant. Flat out USC did better than 2-11 on the road. Think about it.

Every single paid professional on TV agrees with me. I'm happy enough to disagree with you.

It was SU vs USC for the last spot! PERIOD! Again the professionals agree, we had a far better resume.

How many road wins would we have out west?

I highly doubt any committee person is watching his pressers or reading his quotes.
Maybe...maybe not. Maybe some are from Greensboro. Just not sure it doesn't feed into guys like Palm and that chatter gets heard. I just don't see any benefit in the antagonism.

That's not what his point was, I don't believe. There are just a lot of people out there who don't like Syracuse basketball for apparently no good reason.

I do wonder if JBs public antagonistic persona hurts at all in these situations. I want to be the team everyone likes. We seem to be the team everyone dislikes.
JB's persona doesn't help, but the main reason they don't like us is because we've won pretty consistently for a very long time. When we have a subpar, for us, season, its big news- and the haters come out.

JB's persona doesn't help, but the main reason they don't like us is because we've won pretty consistently for a very long time. When we have a subpar, for us, season, its big news- and the haters come out.
I also think the public thinks we bend the rules and have been caught twice. Plus the Bernie stuff.

The "eye test" of this current team vs other bubble teams should have gotten us in.

Ok, Dick Vitale is strongly saying that we should be in!! He is talking about the one eye!!! Eye test!!!
If the eye test mattered no question we're in. Problem is we the bed for the first 2 months of the season. You have to consider the entire season and no one would have had us in any post season tournament on Jan 1. The eye test theory would have any P5 team that makes a conference tourney run as being in

Every single paid professional on TV agrees with me. I'm happy enough to disagree with you.

It was SU vs USC for the last spot! PERIOD! Again the professionals agree, we had a far better resume.

This is all comical. Again, cuse would have been the worst team , profile wise, to make the tourney. End of story. Go win at BC, unconn, or don't get blown out at home by SJU. wow, that's just one angle, thats without mentioning the 2-11 thing.

Maybe...maybe not. Maybe some are from Greensboro. Just not sure it doesn't feed into guys like Palm and that chatter gets heard. I just don't see any benefit in the antagonism.
Antagonism? I guess you would be right if the committee is full of people who are hypersensitive and scared of the blunt truth.
I also think the public thinks we bend the rules and have been caught twice. Plus the Bernie stuff.
I think all of us cuse fans share this paranoia to some extent but I don't think it really manifests itself in any real way at least in regards to seeding.

This is all comical. Again, cuse would have been the worst team , profile wise, to make the tourney. End of story. Go win at BC, unconn, or don't get blown out at home by SJU. wow, that's just one angle, thats without mentioning the 2-11 thing.

So? Someone has to be the worst team! Cuse had more quality wins and is currently a better team than a number of teams that made it. I think the committee was partially making up for least year, which is not fair to this team, easpecially the many players not here last season.

Bilas saying it doesnt matter if an ACC team plays another ACC team in the first round...agreeing with Cal.

Agreed. But I think that's more of a convenient excuse to hate on the Cuse.
They bring that stuff up to emphasize the negativity, especially when we give them an excuse like missing the Tournament. They hated on us last year, and we spite them by going to the Final Four. If we'd have made it this year? Man, that woulda been epic... and so much fun.;)

So? Someone has to be the worst team! Cuse had more quality wins and is currently a better team than a number of teams that made it. I think the committee was partially making up for least year, which is not fair to this team, easpecially the many players not here last season.

Lol, you must be an alum? We are better than a number of teams? Thats interesting. We had 3 quality wins outta 32. And they were 3 top 20 wins. 2-11 on the road. You haven't explained that yet.

If the eye test mattered no question we're in. Problem is we the bed for the first 2 months of the season. You have to consider the entire season and no one would have had us in any post season tournament on Jan 1. The eye test theory would have any P5 team that makes a conference tourney run as being in

I actually disagree about this. I was hoping eye test never would come into play with this team. If committee members were at ACCT, Brooklyn, MSG, etc., it would be a fail. Too many times they look incompetent, show no fundamentals/basketball IQ, no ability to execute offense/defense many times. Bad court demeanor. A perfect storm. Eye test would kill us, IMO.

Well then schedule some games out west forget about the big East. We aren't in the Big East anymore and shouldn't worry about rivalries that don't mean anything anymore. The past is the past leave there and do what's best for the program right now. Schedule properly to give us the best chance to make the tournament and most importantly win the games we should win and we don't have to worry about what the committee thinks

Agreed. But I think that's more of a convenient excuse to hate on the Cuse.
They bring that stuff up to emphasize the negativity, especially when we give them an excuse like missing the Tournament. They hated on us last year, and we spite them by going to the Final Four. If we'd have made it this year? Man, that woulda been epic... and so much fun.;)
I know. But if we're gonna be marginal (which we are) we need all the other variables in our favor

Lol, you must be an alum? We are better than a number of teams? Thats interesting. We had 3 quality wins outta 32. And they were 3 top 20 wins. 2-11 on the road. You haven't explained that yet.

3 top 10 wins!! The announcers are ONLY talking about Syracuse being left out! This isnt just me!

Antagonism? I guess you would be right if the committee is full of people who are hypersensitive and scared of the blunt truth.

I think all of us cuse fans share this paranoia to some extent but I don't think it really manifests itself in any real way at least in regards to seeding.
It could just be that I was sitting next to a couple people that said "good,I despise that coach" when they said we didn't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom