SELECTION SHOW - Commentary as It is Announced | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

SELECTION SHOW - Commentary as It is Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
The selection show didn't even show UVA as a quality win.

3 top 10 wins!! The announcers are ONLY talking about Syracuse being left out! This isnt just me!

Its 3 top 20 wins. Virginia is #18, they are good, not great.

I know. But if we're gonna be marginal (which we are) we need all the other variables in our favor
Yup. The perennial Bubble status has to stop. If you leave it up to subjective review, more often than not, you get days like today.

I also think the public thinks we bend the rules and have been caught twice. Plus the Bernie stuff.

That's part of it. I know a lot of people who sneer at having zone defense as a base D, like it's not real basketball or something obtuse like that. JB's nose thing doesn't help, especially when he's got a history of being pretty crusty in PG interviews. Our early tournament exits didn't win us any fans. Okay, I'm going to stop now ...:(

Flynn, Paul Harris & Devendorf were not well liked by the masses.

Then immediately add Bernie & a 10 year investigation.

Also there are some announcers who hate Syracuse because they didn't go here and there are so many media people from CUSE.

Take Gottleib for example, half his family went to SU, but JB wouldn't give him a scholarship. Then JB called him out for stealing a credit card from his ND teammate. ;-)

Gottleib's hate for SU is personal.

Coaches etc I agree. But the public perception is not generally good and we have some frosty media relationships

Totally agree. I'm just not sure how much of a difference that makes in the selection room.

I think that's when our popularity in terms of fan base size and subsequent media attention can be a dual edged sword. We're the 5th most popular team in college hoops. Everything we do gets outsized attention, from beating Duke to getting wrecked by St John's. This year I think our highly publicized negatives sunk us.

Syracuse got screwed, which screwed the ACC. I live in SEC country. Syracuse would have been no worse than the 4th best team in the SEC.

I hope you win the NIT.

I actually disagree about this. I was hoping eye test never would come into play with this team. If committee members were at ACCT, Brooklyn, MSG, etc., it would be a fail. Too many times they look incompetent, show no fundamentals/basketball IQ, no ability to execute offense/defense many times. Bad court demeanor. A perfect storm. Eye test would kill us, IMO.
I agree my point was if you look at the majority of our games this year we fail the eye test. The big wins at home were great but we looked terrible to often to make anyone think we could make a run this year. Frankly the way we played all year, even down the stretch, away from the dome makes it hard for me to have seen this team winning 1 tournament game. That had to be a major factor in the committee leaving us out not to mention our 80 something RPI more than 10 places worse than any tournament team ever. Thi
s team simply wasn't good enough to make the tournament this year.

Does anyone know with 100% certainty whether the committee looks at a win like us beating VA as top 10 (when we beat them) or top 20 (where they are now)? I'm just curious because I've never heard a clear answer to it.

I remember also a couple seasons back when we beat UNC early on (when they were i think top 5 or so) and then they tanked it.

Totally agree. I'm just not sure how much of a difference that makes in the selection room.

I think that's when our popularity in terms of fan base size and subsequent media attention can be a dual edged sword. We're the 5th most popular team in college hoops. Everything we do gets outsized attention, from beating Duke to getting wrecked by St John's. This year I think our highly publicized negatives sunk us.
I think it was more than that. I think a number of committee members wanted to do something to take the ACC down a peg.

Does anyone know with 100% certainty whether the committee looks at a win like us beating VA as top 10 (when we beat them) or top 20 (where they are now)? I'm just curious because I've never heard a clear answer to it.

I remember also a couple seasons back when we beat UNC early on (when they were i think top 5 or so) and then they tanked it.

I agree that nobody seems to know. JB said there is no standard in the committee, and they need to develop one and outline it, if they want things to work and be fair. I completely agree.

Yeah. I seriously question if we're good enough to compete in this conference with our current style.

And it's not going to change anything, either.

No, but we are the ONLY team they are talking about, unlike other years. Obviously we had a strong case, and the lack of standards and objectivity screwed us. JB said as much. But yes, it doesnt do anything post mortem.

Lol, of course he does, but UVA is #18. They aren't a big team, but we will cry and say they were.

They werent 18 when we played them. It should matter their level and ranking when we played them. Is that not logical?!?

Syracuse got screwed, which screwed the ACC. I live in SEC country. Syracuse would have been no worse than the 4th best team in the SEC.

I hope you win the NIT.

Wow, that's actually funny.

Lol, of course he does, but UVA is #18. They aren't a big team, but we will cry and say they were.

They were what, 6 or 7 at the time we beat them? It's all moot now, anyway. :noidea:

I hope you win the NIT.[/QUOTE
I don't think anyone on this board even wants to accept an NIT bid. I know I dont. I'd rather just call it a season and move on. Winning the NIT means nothing. Especially with a team losing most of its team to graduation or potentially the pro's. Its a joke of a tournament no one cares about.

What is that even supposed to mean?
look, you made it clear weeks (months?) ago you have no clue. whatsoever. go back to the football board or under your rock

Whatever , i love the cuse, but if you think this hoops team was any good or consistent, you are part of the pretentious crew that thinks we get in on name alone. We had 3 good wins outta 32 games. Get a grip...

Whatever , i love the cuse, but if you think this hoops team was any good or consistent, you are part of the pretentious crew that thinks we get in on name alone. We had 3 good wins outta 32 games. Get a grip...
CLUELESS

GO AWAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online