Semi OT - all time NBA team | Syracusefan.com

Semi OT - all time NBA team

RandygoCuse

All Conference
In light of recent events, I felt the need to make updates. Some things to note:

- My first NBA memories are of the 80s Celtics teams. Thus my age and Boston bias may be a factor
- Curry and Durant have replaced Jerry West and Elgin Baylor on my list. I felt this championship justified the change, but I'm sure others disagree. Curry obviously has less longevity, but his peak is pretty darn high.
-I started Chamberlain over Kareem because of Wilt's statistical dominance. You could certainly make the argument for Kareem.
-I tried to go by position but cheated a little and put Russell at power forward. Duncan is the best power forward of all time (if you don't call him a center) but it's debateable who is the second best. It seemed easier just to start Russell there. I'd love to hear others' thoughts.

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Lebron James
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Tim Duncan
Larry Bird
Kobe Bryant
Steph Curry
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kevin Durant

I kinda think Kareem needs to be first team. I think my top 3 is, in some order, Kareem, MJ, and Lebron

C= Russell
PF = Duncan or Bird
SF = James
SG = Jordan
PG = Magic

C-Jabbar
PF- Duncan
SF- LeBron
SG-Jordan
PG- Magic

2nd team
C- Shaq
PF- Malone
SF-Bird
SG- Kobe
PG- Steph Curry

Durant could pass Bird but not there yet.
Dirk could pass Malone that was 50/50 for me.

As a Celtics fan, this makes me uncomfortable. Alas, you may be right. I think it is inevitable if Durant leaves the Warriors but leads another less loaded team to a championship.

C-Jabbar
PF- Duncan
SF- LeBron
SG-Jordan
PG- Magic

2nd team
C- Shaq
PF- Malone
SF-Bird
SG- Kobe
PG- Steph Curry

I think Alsacs' first team is spot on. I too have a hard time reconciling Russell's pedestrian offense (although many argue it would've been superfluous on those C's championship squads) with a first team nod. Chamberlain also doesn't quite get me there - just couldn't carry teams through (the Knicks in 1970, one of the years the should've taken down the Celtics (can't recall which year)).

Kareem - while not the most charismatic / popular figure - was essentially unstoppable on offense, an exceptional defender, good FT shooter, and remained top notch well into his 15th year (finals MVP against the vaunted C's front line of Bird/Parish/McHale). Hard to argue against him

C-Jabbar
PF- Duncan
SF- LeBron
SG-Jordan
PG- Magic

2nd team
C- Shaq
PF- Malone
SF-Bird
SG- Kobe
PG- Steph Curry

All in on your first team. Need to take some time for a second time. But I think I'm in line with your 1-3.

All in on your first team. Need to take some time for a second time. But I think I'm in line with your 1-3.
I picked the Mailman over Dirk because the 2nd team has enough shooting with Curry/Bryant/Bird I wanted a physical forward for Duncan and he would eat up Dirk.
Karl Malone was underrated as a defender.
Shaq as the 2nd C you can sell me Hakeem, Moses, Wilt and I don’t bat an eye. I just picked Shaq.

I understand he played a long time ago but it's hard to imagine keeping Wilt Chamberlain off any all-time team. Averaged 30 points and 23 rebounds a game for his career, never fouled out of a game (regular season or playoff) and averaged more than 48 minutes a game one season. In one season he averaged 50+ points and 25+ boards a game. Also led the NBA in assists one season.

russell
baylor
james
jordan
robertson

jabbar
bird
johnson
west
duncan

I’m only listing guys I watched play. Because frankly, how do I know if the best player in the 60’s was better than the best player in the 90s?

And it doesn’t matter that I was really young when I watched Kareem play and he was washed up. Dr. J too. It’s my list so I’m doing it how I want.

Magic
Jordan
LeBron
Bird
Kareem

Isiah
Kobe
Durant
Duncan
Shaq

Curry
Wade
Erving
Barkley
Hakeem

russell
baylor
james
jordan
robertson

jabbar
bird
johnson
west
duncan
I definitely think someone from those great Celtic teams should be represented. But does anyone really stick out as being the best of all time (Sam Jones, Cousy, Havlicek). I can see why people don't want to pick Russell for the first team, but if he is the only Celtic then I think he gets a pass. Personally I would pick KAJ or Wilt but what the Celtics did deems them worthy of a selection.

Does Auerbach get the nod as Head Coach or would it be Phil Jackson. I hate the Celtics but what they did (in an entirely different era) was unrivaled.

I understand he played a long time ago but it's hard to imagine keeping Wilt Chamberlain off any all-time team. Averaged 30 points and 23 rebounds a game for his career, never fouled out of a game (regular season or playoff) and averaged more than 48 minutes a game one season. In one season he averaged 50+ points and 25+ boards a game. Also led the NBA in assists one season.
Yup, there's different arguments to be made for what I consider the top five:

Russell - All the championships
Wilt - The statistical dominance
Kareem - His longevity
Jordan - His ability to control both ends of the court
Lebron - How he continually puts his team on his back

I definitely think someone from those great Celtic teams should be represented. But does anyone really stick out as being the best of all time (Sam Jones, Cousy, Havlicek). I can see why people don't want to pick Russell for the first team, but if he is the only Celtic then I think he gets a pass. Personally I would pick KAJ or Wilt but what the Celtics did deems them worthy of a selection.

Does Auerbach get the nod as Head Coach or would it be Phil Jackson. I hate the Celtics but what they did (in an entirely different era) was unrivaled.

I'd give the nod to Auerbach. Just seems like he did more with less.

Today's game is different with so much emphasis on the three point shot. Back in the day, centers dominated the action and pre-1980 there were some great centers - Wilt, KAJ, Russell, Lanier, Reed, Thurmond to name a few. Athletes get better and better over time but if you cloned Wilt or KAJ from their prime and put them on the court today they'd easily be the two best centers in the league.

My dad who is a diehard Celtics fan thinks Cowens was better than all those Russell Era guys.
His Celtics alltime goes
1. Russell/Bird
3. McHale
5. Cowens
6. Pierce
7. Havlicek
8. Parrish
9.Cousy
10. Jones

My dad who is a diehard Celtics fan thinks Cowens was better than all those Russell Era guys.
His Celtics alltime goes
1. Russell/Bird
3. McHale
5. Cowens
6. Pierce
7. Havlicek
8. Parrish
9.Cousy
10. Jones

Tell your dad that Havlicek had a better career than Cowens and that's coming from a big Clyde Frazier fan. You could look it up. Who does he have at #4 after McHale?

I kinda think Kareem needs to be first team. I think my top 3 is, in some order, Kareem, MJ, and Lebron

Eh, I think he kind of ran up his numbers over a long career. Russell had more rings, Wilt was the better individual talent. I think Kareem is number 3 among centers, Walton 4th and Hakeem Olajuwon 5th. Moses Malone and Robert Parish are right there, too, along with Shaq.

In light of recent events, I felt the need to make updates. Some things to note:

- My first NBA memories are of the 80s Celtics teams. Thus my age and Boston bias may be a factor
- Curry and Durant have replaced Jerry West and Elgin Baylor on my list. I felt this championship justified the change, but I'm sure others disagree. Curry obviously has less longevity, but his peak is pretty darn high.
-I started Chamberlain over Kareem because of Wilt's statistical dominance. You could certainly make the argument for Kareem.
-I tried to go by position but cheated a little and put Russell at power forward. Duncan is the best power forward of all time (if you don't call him a center) but it's debateable who is the second best. It seemed easier just to start Russell there. I'd love to hear others' thoughts.

Wilt Chamberlain
Bill Russell
Lebron James
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson

Kareem Abdul Jabbar
Tim Duncan
Larry Bird
Kobe Bryant
Steph Curry
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kevin Durant

There's a lot to like about your list. Oscar Robertson has to fit in there somewhere, and Jerry West, too.

Red

I'd give the nod to Auerbach. Just seems like he did more with less.

Today's game is different with so much emphasis on the three point shot. Back in the day, centers dominated the action and pre-1980 there were some great centers - Wilt, KAJ, Russell, Lanier, Reed, Thurmond to name a few. Athletes get better and better over time but if you cloned Wilt or KAJ from their prime and put them on the court today they'd easily be the two best centers in the league.
Now if Walton had two good legs ...

Now if Walton had two good legs ...

Good point. When he was healthy (which wasn't for very long) he was a beast.

Last edited:
Eh, I think he kind of ran up his numbers over a long career. Russell had more rings, Wilt was the better individual talent. I think Kareem is number 3 among centers, Walton 4th and Hakeem Olajuwon 5th. Moses Malone and Robert Parish are right there, too, along with Shaq.

Didn't necessarily root for Jabbar but for my money he was the most dominant offensive player I ever saw (watched Wilt play in the final few years of his career). Jabbar was unstoppable for most of his career. He was a legit 7' 2", athletic and could shoot that sky hook out to 15 feet and it was nearly impossible to block.

Didn't necessarily root for Jabbar but for my money he was the most dominant offensive player I ever saw (watched Wilt play in the final few years of his career). Jabbar was unstoppable for most of his career. He was a legit 7' 2", athletic and could shoot that sky hook out to 15 feet and it was nearly impossible to block.

One of my beefs with his all-time credentials is that in his first decade in the league, he won only 1 title, and he had Oscar Robertson (admittedly approaching the end ..., but still, The Big O) on his team.

Only after Magic joined the Lakers did he win his other 5 titles.

Tell your dad that Havlicek had a better career than Cowens and that's coming from a big Clyde Frazier fan. You could look it up. Who does he have at #4 after McHale?
Garnett for rebuilding Celtic Pride.
He puts Cowens higher than Hondo because of how hard he played and always battled Kareem better than anyone.
Cowens won an MVP in the 1970s and was more of a fan favorite because of his crazy hard play.
Kinda like DeBuchsere for Knicks even though Clyde was better.

Garnett for rebuilding Celtic Pride.
He puts Cowens higher than Hondo because of how hard he played and always battled Kareem better than anyone.
Cowens won an MVP in the 1970s and was more of a fan favorite because of his crazy hard play.
Kinda like DeBuchsere for Knicks even though Clyde was better.
Havlicek was a perpetual motion machine who played as hard as anyone who has ever played the game. He was an outstanding defender who always found a way to get his points.