Semi-OT: I went to the Palestra last night | Syracusefan.com

Semi-OT: I went to the Palestra last night

LeMoyneCuse

All American
As I tend to mention often, my wife is a Villanova grad, and they were playing at Penn last night, so it was a chance to see the Palestra in person.

If you ever get the chance - go. The building is showing its age and lacks the amenities and conveniences you expect at a modern facility. But the architecture is really cool, and the place just looks out of a different era - in a good way. Think War Memorial but way more charming.

As I tend to mention often, my wife is a Villanova grad, and they were playing at Penn last night, so it was a chance to see the Palestra in person.

If you ever get the chance - go. The building is showing its age and lacks the amenities and conveniences you expect at a modern facility. But the architecture is really cool, and the place just looks out of a different era - in a good way. Think War Memorial but way more charming.
Are you taking the train up to see the Cuse/Nova game? Too bad it wasn't a weekend game

I saw SU beat Furman in the Palestra 83-82 in the first round of the 1973 NCAA Tournament.

By the way Dennis Duval, Rudy Hackett and Mike Lee all played 40 minutes. The Orange used a total of 7 players; Furman played 10 and 8 of the 10 played 13 or more minutes. SU got outrebounded but had more blocks, steals and free throws. Some things never change.

I saw SU beat Furman in the Palestra 83-82 in the first round of the 1973 NCAA Tournament.

By the way Dennis Duval, Rudy Hackett and Mike Lee all played 40 minutes. The Orange used a total of 7 players; Furman played 10 and 8 of the 10 played 13 or more minutes. SU got outrebounded but had more blocks, steals and free throws. Some things never change.
How were those Roy Danforth teams against the corner 2?

Roy's Runts.

I remember that game...we were in the NIT in 1971 and 1972. Of course only about 24 teams made the NCAAs back then. Younger fans should read Wikipedia entries on all the old NCAA/NIT tournaments...it'll give you a great history lesson. Teams like San Francisco, UNC-Charlotte, Penn, Holy Cross, CCNY, St. Bonaventure and Jacksonville making the F4

I remember that game...we were in the NIT in 1971 and 1972. Of course only about 24 teams made the NCAAs back then. Younger fans should read Wikipedia entries on all the old NCAA/NIT tournaments...it'll give you a great history lesson. Teams like San Francisco, UNC-Charlotte, Penn, Holy Cross, CCNY, St. Bonaventure and Jacksonville making the F4
No at large bids, so fun stuff happened and then UCLA would always the title.

Wow funny you mention this game. My dad and I were going to go but decided to try a game in February instead. Neither of us have been since I think 1990 just want to check it out again.

Another poster may have answered my question above but always wondered if JB has ever coached a game at The Palestra? I don't think he has (as a head coach).

Wow funny you mention this game. My dad and I were going to go but decided to try a game in February instead. Neither of us have been since I think 1990 just want to check it out again.

Another poster may have answered my question above but always wondered if JB has ever coached a game at The Palestra? I don't think he has (as a head coach).
And that game, actually in 1989, has a Cuse connection because we saw Bobby Johnson play, BJ's Dad.

Yes, he has. In 1979 vs. Temple. What I remember--Hal Cohen with a 50-foot bounce pass for a fastbreak layup. And the TV feed was lost for a few minutes, due to a lightning strike in Philly, I believe.

So did I. Saturday night doubleheaders on Channel 17 with Syracuse native Al Meltzer doing play by play.
We had a screwy UHF antenna that would spin around to get best reception. Before then I resorted to aluminum foil.

I walked to Penn last weekend from downtown Philly to check out the campus and the Palestra. The Palestra looks like every other campus hall. It’s unique compared to other arenas; non-descript compared to the rest of the campus.

I took my daughter on a self guided tour at Villanova. She loved it. We will schedule an official visit in the Spring. :(

I went to the Syracuse - LaSalle NCAA game there back in 1975; the place was way old then but had lots of charm. If I recall correctly Joe “Jelly Bean” Bryant (Kobe’s dad) missed a short baseline jumper that would have won the game for LaSalle. Syracuse went on to the Final Four.
There was an iconic bar near the Palestra called Smokey Joe’s. Not sure if it still exists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom