Semi-OT: Miami turnover chain | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Semi-OT: Miami turnover chain

I thought this was a great idea when they first implemented it. It was unique and the players love that type of incentive and it showed on the sidelines. I thought it was goofy when other programs started copying them with no shame.

New staff comes in you have to burn it all down to instill a new culture and Miami plays soft. It's become about the 'look' and not the substance, but that's a generation issue with looking good regardless of how one plays. Hard to find a grinder these days. I love that coaches quote.

Last edited:
I thought this was a great idea when they first implemented it. It was unique and the players love that type of incentive and it showed on the sidelines. I thought it was goofy when other programs started copying them with no shame.

New staff comes in you have to burn it all down to instill a new culture and Miami plays soft. It's become about the 'look' and not the substance but that's a generation issue with looking good regardless of how one plays. Hard to find a grinder these days. I love that coaches quote.
Agree. These things are about the needs of the team at the time. Miami was trying to get the old school swagger back. It created buzz, but honestly those things lose their luster after some time.

Good. I find the whole idea ridiculous. Call it unsportsmanlike, taunting, or whatever. If I was a coach, I'd never allow it. AFAIC, it lacks integrity, always in poor taste. You did your job. Your teamates probably helped in that.. Your team has the ball. Well done. Now go sit down. The game isn't over.

I could add "get off my lawn", but I won't. I dont see it as much different than spiking the ball on the opposing teams logo. Heck. May as well take a faux dump on it. It lacks respect.

Good riddance.

Last edited:
Good. I find the whole idea ridiculous. Call it unsportsmanlike, taunting, or whatever. If I was a coach, I'd never allow it. AFAIC, it lacks integrity, always in poor taste. You did your job. Your teamates probably helped in that.. Your team has the ball. Well done. Now go sit down. The game isn't over.

I could add "get off my lawn", but I won't. I dont see it as much different than spiking the ball on the opposing teams logo. Heck. May as well take a faux dump on it. It lacks respect.

Good riddance.

Yeah you make a good point on how they used it, was definitely in poor taste. They'd have a bunch of kids over on the sideline partying with the fans regardless of what was going on in the game. Do coaches still use good old helmet stickers? I know as a kid that was the real badge of honor.

I guess I'm old school, but regardless of what it may have resembled, I thought Miami's turnover chain was lame. The only thing even more lame was FSU's unoriginal attempt to copy the idea with a "turnover backpack".
Of course, our defense somehow forgot how to create turnovers last season, so I suppose this can be viewed as just sour grapes.

Yeah you make a good point on how they used it, was definitely in poor taste. They'd have a bunch of kids over on the sideline partying with the fans regardless of what was going on in the game. Do coaches still use good old helmet stickers? I know as a kid that was the real badge of honor.
Helmet stickers are given AFTER the game. Some coaches don't give them, as they feel it takes away from the team.

Why doesn't a team have a touchdown throne? After a TD the player is carried on a throne on the sidelines? Because its called taunting, and its in poor taste. The team reward is the touchdown. For a turnover, its the ball. I dont mind a player celebrating after a good play. I think instituting a device to "rub it in", for a competitors mistake? In the poorest of taste, and I'd never let one of my players disrespect their opponent. Not even for a minute. Thats a bad football culture, imo.

Shoulda been a 15 yard unsportsmanlike, every time.

Helmet stickers are given AFTER the game. Some coaches don't give them, as they feel it takes away from the team.

Why doesn't a team have a touchdown throne? After a TD the player is carried on a throne on the sidelines? Because its called taunting, and its in poor taste. The team reward is the touchdown. For a turnover, its the ball. I dont mind a player celebrating after a good play. I think instituting a device to "rub it in", for a competitors mistake? In the poorest of taste, and I'd never let one of my players disrespect their opponent. Not even for a minute. Thats a bad football culture, imo.

Shoulda been a 15 yard unsportsmanlike, every time.
I've always argued against having RBs or WRs spike the ball after a TD in the NFL if it's not for a last-second win. Act like you've been there before and you'll soon be back there again. However, if someone on the OL recovers a fumble for a TD or someone on the defense scores a TD, spike away to your heart's content! You deserve it.

I think instituting a device to "rub it in", for a competitors mistake? In the poorest of taste, and I'd never let one of my players disrespect their opponen
It rewarding the efforts of taking the ball away. I was fine with it because it was on the sideline and not in front of the opponent. it was fun to watch at first but it lost its appeal. imo. A lot of teams copied them and started their own tradition of some form.

We had something we tried for one season, didn't last.
syracusebox.jpg

It rewarding the efforts of taking the ball away. I was fine with it because it was on the sideline and not in front of the opponent. it was fun to watch at first but it lost its appeal. imo. A lot of teams copied them and started their own tradition of some form.
I preferred the Florida State backpack, seemed more practical.

151DD217-F210-4783-A5EF-EF50F1F9BE70.jpeg

At the risk of being inappropriate, if they really wanted to motivate 19 and 20 year old kids, they would have the Turnover Ho’s. A bevy of scantily clad females to make over the player for a few minutes on the sideline. I guarantee it would generate results, though it would probably erode into fighting and jealousy.

Of course you can’t have Turnover Ho’s. That would be wrong. So was the turnover bling.

I care. And this will be the get off my lawn portion. ;-)

Our local HS is all discipline. Walk to the field in 2's, no speaking. Helmets on the Bus before and after the game, no speaking(unless you win the 'ship) The mindset is established. You are here to play, and win. Good for 15? Championships in 30 years, despite being one of the smaller schools.

In comparison, the other teams come in like the Bad News Bears. Almost always, they've lost before they stepped on the field. No discipline. No focus. Plenty of me me. It often doesn't matter if they are better athletes. Not all 22 are disciplined.

The turnover change is a symbol of how to not respect your opponent. How to lose focus in the task at hand, and focus on personal glory. Go ahead and high 5, hug your teamates, etc. Dispespect the opponent, and you disrespect yourself, and your whole team. Thats the turnover chain.

If I'm the guy that made the mistake, and someone came up to me and put his turnover chain in my face? I'd kill the m@ther ******. That's why they hide and do it on their sideline. Cowards.

Last edited:
I care. And this will be the get off my lawn portion. ;-)

Our local HS is all discipline. Walk to the field in 2's, no speaking. Helmets on the Bus before and after the game, no speaking(unless you win the 'ship) The mindset is established. You are here to play, and win. Good for 15? Championships in 30 years, despite being one of the smaller schools.

In comparison, the other teams come in like the Bad News Bears. Almost always, they've lost before they stepped on the field. No discipline. No focus. Plenty of me me. It often doesn't matter if they are better athletes. Not all 22 are disciplined.

The turnover change is a symbol of how to not respect your opponent. How to lose focus in the task at hand, and focus on personal glory. Go ahead and high 5, hug your teamates, etc. Dispespect the opponent, and you disrespect yourself, and your whole team. Thats the turnover chain.

If I'm the guy that made the mistake, and someone came up to me and put his turnover chain in my face? I'd kill the m@ther ******. That's why they hide and do it on their sideline. Cowards.
I see several successful high schools, colleges and NFL teams doing it. Its doesnt mean they are being disrespectful to their opponents. Its doesnt mean they are not discipline. Football is a grind. Let them have fun during the games unless they are doing or saying something wrong to the opponent.

Not sure why Miami called it the turnover chain. Its a takeaway. A takeaway is not a mistake. Its something you EARN. Its something you practice. You have to teach kids take away opportunities and proper techniques. We have takeaways stations every day to build muscle memory and proper execution.