Semi OT: Question regarding DVD of SU's 2013 Tourney Run | Syracusefan.com

Semi OT: Question regarding DVD of SU's 2013 Tourney Run

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I hate to be that guy but I was curious to see if anyone had a DVD copy of the Indiana and Marquette games from the Tourney, (I wont be needing the Michigan game).

Like most people I have a DVR but unfortunately with TW I have no way of getting my recording of the two games on to a DVD. To make matters worse due to a space issue with my DVR, I lost the Indiana game a few weeks ago. At this point I have the second half of the Marquette game but again no way to get it onto a DVR.

Does anyone have the two games who could help me out? I can certainly cover any and all costs associated with producing the DVD's.

Also does anyone have any recommendations moving forwad in how I can record SU games that wont leave them stuck in DVR limbo for the rest of my life? Thanks!

I've got no way of helping you, Jeremy, but I had the same problem - I moved last month and lost a ton of games (both East Regional games, a handful of good basketball games dating back to Georgetown in 2012, the 2011 West Virginia football game, the last two innings of Johan Santana's no-hitter last summer, etc.).

So that's a bummer. DVR limbo...frustrating.

I've got no way of helping you, Jeremy, but I had the same problem - I moved last month and lost a ton of games (both East Regional games, a handful of good basketball games dating back to Georgetown in 2012, the 2011 West Virginia football game, the last two innings of Johan Santana's no-hitter last summer, etc.).

So that's a bummer. DVR limbo...frustrating.

Thanks Otto, sorry to hear you are in the same boat. I love the DVR but its times like this that I miss the VHS tape. Over the past 5 years I must have deleted or lost dozens of SU games (bball, fball, and Lacrosee) that I would have preferred to have kept. Youtube has some games but really those are only the classic games or games from fans of other teams that SU lost that I really wouldnt watch again. ESPN3 does a nice job of archiving games but then they delete the prior years games when the next season starts. I am goign to have to set some time aside to watch the Lville, USF and Mizzou fball games again this summer as they will be gone by late August from ESPN3.

Bump, will make anyone who can help a VIP fine lot tailgate member. Comes with a texanmark motivational dvd and cookbook.

I can help you out. Send me a PM if you still need them.

As for why you can't record, I'd have to know more about your setup. I assume you are referring to copy protection, but that's usually handled by the network encryption, not the cable provider. Nevertheless, I'd recommend Directv for these tasks.

On a related note, it would be SOOOOO nice if we actually had a community of 3-5 collectors. Once the heavy lifting is done (e.g. Editing), it takes no time to make a few copies. Everybody would handle 6-8 games a year, but have the full season at year's end.

As for why you can't record, I'd have to know more about your setup. I assume you are referring to copy protection, but that's usually handled by the network encryption, not the cable provider. Nevertheless, I'd recommend Directv for these tasks.

On a related note, it would be SOOOOO nice if we actually had a community of 3-5 collectors. Once the heavy lifting is done (e.g. Editing), it takes no time to make a few copies. Everybody would handle 6-8 games a year, but have the full season at year's end.
Long story short: I also am able to help the OP out - kind of, sort of. I can make crappy quality DVDs or better quality digital movie files (unencrypted m4v).

Long story long: I've been recording SU hoops whenever possible starting in '86 but lost my VHS collection & didn't resume until 2001. I live in Alabama & so only get the nationally televised games but that's still good for about a dozen games per year plus all the BET & most NCAA (or, sadly, NIT) games. My method until 2010 or so was to record standard def signal onto VHS, transfer from VHS to Mac, use iMovie to edit & then burn onto DVD. Finally made the move to HD signals & DVR in 2010 and then my troubles began. There's no easy way to transfer the digital recording to a computer (HDMI ports on computers are for output from the computer, not input) so I'm converting to analog & there's a lot of quality loss along the way. Going through another step & transferring to DVD degrades the quality even more so my m.o. over the past year or so is to edit the recording and then export as an m4v file. The con to this method is that I'm limited to watching the game on a computer. Size of file is about 3 GB. I can e-mail a 4 minute sample from the Montana game to anyone who is interested (size of file 110 MB).

Hey Poppy, sorry for the delay in response. Regarding my setup I have TW Cable and of course the cable box and DVR. A few years ago I called up TW and asked them how I could go about transferring recordings from my DVR onto a DVD, ie what kind of equipment would I need what was the process etc. The person from TW while nice explained that there was no way to transfer any recordings from my DVR and that basically I was SOL. He also made it sound like there was no way to connect to the box directly to record anything live to a DVD recorder.

I like to think I have at least a decent handle on technology today but im in the dark ages when it comes to this stuff. Is there a way for me to even record? In your post you mentioned something about copy protection, could you give an overview on the process for those of us who are lost?

Regarding your note on getting a community going of collectors I think that is a great idea. I wish I had the technical background to assist in that (the editing factor you mentioned) as I know there are at least a handful of bball games and 2-3 football games I wish I had every season. Maybe this fall we can try to get something together, I am sure there are others like myself who would be willing to help financially who just dont have the technical background like yourself and others.

Long story short: I also am able to help the OP out - kind of, sort of. I can make crappy quality DVDs or better quality digital movie files (unencrypted m4v).

Long story long: I've been recording SU hoops whenever possible starting in '86 but lost my VHS collection & didn't resume until 2001. I live in Alabama & so only get the nationally televised games but that's still good for about a dozen games per year plus all the BET & most NCAA (or, sadly, NIT) games. My method until 2010 or so was to record standard def signal onto VHS, transfer from VHS to Mac, use iMovie to edit & then burn onto DVD. Finally made the move to HD signals & DVR in 2010 and then my troubles began. There's no easy way to transfer the digital recording to a computer (HDMI ports on computers are for output from the computer, not input) so I'm converting to analog & there's a lot of quality loss along the way. Going through another step & transferring to DVD degrades the quality even more so my m.o. over the past year or so is to edit the recording and then export as an m4v file. The con to this method is that I'm limited to watching the game on a computer. Size of file is about 3 GB. I can e-mail a 4 minute sample from the Montana game to anyone who is interested (size of file 110 MB).

You're killing the quality by going through all these transformations, especially to analog.

Are you familiar with the Hauppauge PVR? This is likely the easiest if you are trying to preserve picture quality.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

I am too lazy to record in true HD, so I use a DVD Recorder with a built-in hard drive for storage and some editing. I record SU games and other big games in XP mode, which, combined with the DirecTv signal, preserves 90% of the HD quality in my opinion and no one would ever really notice the difference. I then use a product called VideoRedo to further edit and create menus, and ultimately burn it to another disc. I've been using dual layer DVDs for a few years to save physical space.

Hey Poppy, sorry for the delay in response. Regarding my setup I have TW Cable and of course the cable box and DVR. A few years ago I called up TW and asked them how I could go about transferring recordings from my DVR onto a DVD, ie what kind of equipment would I need what was the process etc. The person from TW while nice explained that there was no way to transfer any recordings from my DVR and that basically I was SOL. He also made it sound like there was no way to connect to the box directly to record anything live to a DVD recorder.

I like to think I have at least a decent handle on technology today but im in the dark ages when it comes to this stuff. Is there a way for me to even record? In your post you mentioned something about copy protection, could you give an overview on the process for those of us who are lost?

Regarding your note on getting a community going of collectors I think that is a great idea. I wish I had the technical background to assist in that (the editing factor you mentioned) as I know there are at least a handful of bball games and 2-3 football games I wish I had every season. Maybe this fall we can try to get something together, I am sure there are others like myself who would be willing to help financially who just dont have the technical background like yourself and others.

It's as simple as buying a DVD recorder, and connecting the cables going "out" from the DVR and "in" to the Recorder. I use "S"-video for slightly better quality, but composite is fine. Unfortunately, recorders in the USA don't come with HDMI or Component "IN", I think because of legal issues. You also need to run an HDMI or component cable from the recorder to the TV.

As for recorders, you definitely want one that "upconverts", which means that it can display video in 16:9 format. Otherwise, the recording process will render a final product in 4:3 and it won't look nearly as nice. Regardless, I think they all upconvert these days. If you want a basic, yet durable model, I've had success with Toshiba. The one linked below is pretty standard, but sufficient for most people. I have an older, used model that I could sell you for $20 + shipping if you want to go that route.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR430...71742301&sr=8-1&keywords=dvd+recorder+toshiba

If you want to go more upscale, you'll want one with a hard drive built in. Essentially, it's a DVR with recording capabilities. They can store hundreds of hours of footage, you can record in "flex" mode, as opposed to the standard XP, SP, LP, etc..., and you can edit out commercials with relative ease. Because of patent concerns with the likes of TIVO, they are very hard to find in the USA. You can order them from a place called World-Import in Chicago. I have the the Panasonic EH-59, and it's been a workhorse for the last 3 years.

http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm

Copy protection: A lot of broadcasters encrypt their shows to prevent copying. It's becoming more and more prevalent. FOX, HBO, and Turner are known offenders. A lot of DVD recorders "respect" the copy protection and will not allow you to burn to DVD, but there are plenty that overwrite the encryption as well. There are also stand-alone products that act as encryption removers, and I think they run about $100, but I've never had the need for it.

Finally, I no longer record football. I've cut back significantly and only record SU hoops, USA soccer, FIFA competitions, and golf majors. But I'd be glad to revisit the issue when basketball season rolls around.

I can go into more detail if you wish.

It's as simple as buying a DVD recorder, and connecting the cables going "out" from the DVR and "in" to the Recorder. I use "S"-video for slightly better quality, but composite is fine. Unfortunately, recorders in the USA don't come with HDMI or Component "IN", I think because of legal issues. You also need to run an HDMI or component cable from the recorder to the TV.

As for recorders, you definitely want one that "upconverts", which means that it can display video in 16:9 format. Otherwise, the recording process will render a final product in 4:3 and it won't look nearly as nice. Regardless, I think they all upconvert these days. If you want a basic, yet durable model, I've had success with Toshiba. The one linked below is pretty standard, but sufficient for most people. I have an older, used model that I could sell you for $20 + shipping if you want to go that route.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR430-DVD-Recorder-Black/dp/B0038JECKY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371742301&sr=8-1&keywords=dvd recorder toshiba

If you want to go more upscale, you'll want one with a hard drive built in. Essentially, it's a DVR with recording capabilities. They can store hundreds of hours of footage, you can record in "flex" mode, as opposed to the standard XP, SP, LP, etc..., and you can edit out commercials with relative ease. Because of patent concerns with the likes of TIVO, they are very hard to find in the USA. You can order them from a place called World-Import in Chicago. I have the the Panasonic EH-59, and it's been a workhorse for the last 3 years.

http://www.world-import.com/panasonic-dvd-r.htm

Copy protection: A lot of broadcasters encrypt their shows to prevent copying. It's becoming more and more prevalent. FOX, HBO, and Turner are known offenders. A lot of DVD recorders "respect" the copy protection and will not allow you to burn to DVD, but there are plenty that overwrite the encryption as well. There are also stand-alone products that act as encryption removers, and I think they run about $100, but I've never had the need for it.

Finally, I no longer record football. I've cut back significantly and only record SU hoops, USA soccer, FIFA competitions, and golf majors. But I'd be glad to revisit the issue when basketball season rolls around.

I can go into more detail if you wish.

Thanks Poppy, a ton of great information there. I will be sending you a PM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom