Semi OT: Washington state law on athlete compensation | Syracusefan.com

Semi OT: Washington state law on athlete compensation

This is really interesting and a great idea. The notion that college athletes can't profit on their celebrity has always bothered me.
NCAA amateurism rules are a bunch of garbage

This is really interesting and a great idea. The notion that college athletes can't profit on their celebrity has always bothered me.
Not sure the state can do that, as it violates hundreds of contracts. They also have no jurisdiction over a private entity that the kid voluntarily joins.
NCAA can just boot Washington teams.

Not sure the state can do that, as it violates hundreds of contracts. They also have no jurisdiction over a private entity that the kid voluntarily joins.

The state has that power. The NCAA could stop or limit participation of Washington teams and athletes, but this is not going to remain a single state thing for long. Others will follow suit. NCAA money going to schools is a drop in the bucket, so the NCAA has no leverage to stop state legislatures.

The state has that power. The NCAA could stop or limit participation of Washington teams and athletes, but this is not going to remain a single state thing for long. Others will follow suit. NCAA money going to schools is a drop in the bucket, so the NCAA has no leverage to stop state legislatures.
As my Grandmother used to say, “Be careful what you wish for, because sometimes God grants your wish.”

My opinion, this bill never gets out of committee.

someone makes a group and they have rules and someone doesnt like the rules and forces them to be a different thing which totally blows away the reason for the group and the rules..

this isnt a group to be fair to the kids its a group to be fair to each other. the kids rights have grown a ton over the years even if people think they deserve to be paid as pros.

I'm not sure the NCAA could boot Udub if they were forced to comply with a law that was passed by state legislature. Udub could sue the NCAA and would probably win. For the record I don't think this ever gets put to a vote.

I'm not sure the NCAA could boot Udub if they were forced to comply with a law that was passed by state legislature. Udub could sue the NCAA and would probably win. For the record I don't think this ever gets put to a vote.
The NCAA can pass a rule that no institution can be a member if they are required to...
Done.

The NCAA can pass a rule that no institution can be a member if they are required to...
Done.
^^^^This, plus only 60+ of the >300 D-1 schools are in the P5. Does anyone think Mercer, any of the 3,000 Loyolas, Bryant, or UAlbany care If Washington or Wazzu stay in D-1? They’ll vote that rule in in a nanosecond.

^^^^This, plus only 60+ of the >300 D-1 schools are in the P5. Does anyone think Mercer, any of the 3,000 Loyolas, Bryant, or UAlbany care If Washington or Wazzu stay in D-1? They’ll vote that rule in in a nanosecond.
So the ncaa is going to kick schools out because kids can do local car commercials because of a state law they don’t control. Hilarious take.

So the ncaa is going to kick schools out because kids can do local car commercials because of a state law they don’t control. Hilarious take.
“Hey kid, we’ll guarantee you 4 local car commercials each year at $10,000 each if you sign with us.”

I’m old school. I have less than zero sympathy for these football and basketball crybabies. They get tuition, fees, room, board, books, and a stipend. That’s enough. That’s more than a lot of their fellow students have. All the time we compare the lot of players from “economically disadvantaged areas” with the lot of everyone else at their school “who all drive hand-me-down BMWs”. Spare me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom