(Semi OT) Where'd you get your username? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

(Semi OT) Where'd you get your username?

Suttree has often been mistaken for a combination of SU + "tree", apparently with an extra T thrown in for good measure. This is not why I chose the handle. Rather, it's the name of one of the finest books I've ever read. Many consider it Cormac McCarthy's magnum opus, a semi-autobiographical book written during a ~20-year span, containing some of the best writing I've encountered. Frequently hilarious but sometimes achingly sad. A wild array of characters strewn about the seediest parts of Knoxville. I highly recommend it to every one of you. This is the same author who wrote All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian, The Road, No Country for Old Men, and several other excellent works.

Here is the first part of the prologue, offering the reader an introduction to the shores of the Tennessee River in a deeply neglected and depressed part of Knoxville. Calm your mind for a minute and take it in:

Dear friend now in the dusty clockless hours of the town when the streets lie black and the homeless have washed up in the lee of walls in alleys or abandoned lots and cats go forth highshouldered and lean in the grim perimeters about, now in these sootblacked brick or cobbled corridors where lightwire shadows make a gothic harp of cellar doors no soul shall walk save you.

Old stone walls unplumbed by weathers, lodged in their striae fossil bones, limestone scarabs rucked in the floor of this once inland sea. Thin dark trees through yon iron palings where the dead keep their own small metropolis. Curious marble architecture, stele and obelisk and cross and little rainworn stones where names grow dim with years. Earth packed with samples of the casketmaker's trade, the dusty bones and rotted silk, the deathwear stained with carrion. Out there under the blue lamplight the trolleytracks run on to darkness, curved like cockheels in the pinchbeck dusk. The steel leaks back the day's heat, you can feel it through the floors of your shoes. Past these corrugated warehouse walls down little sandy streets where blownout autos sulk on pedestals of cinderblock. Through warrens of sumac and pokeweed and withered honeysuckle giving onto the scored clay banks of the railway. Gray vines coiled leftward in this northern hemisphere, what winds them shapes the dogwhelk's shell. Weeds sprouted from cinder and brick. A steamshovel reared in solitary abandonment against the night sky. Cross here. By frograils and fishplates where engines cough like lions in the dark of the yard. To a darker town, past lamps stoned blind, past smoking oblique shacks and china dogs and painted tires where dirty flowers grow. Down pavings rent with ruin, the slow cataclysm of neglect, the wires that belly pole to pole across the constellations hung with kitestring, with bolos composed of hobbled bottles or the toys of the smaller children. Encampment of the damned . . . .

I love that "slow cataclysm of neglect" bit.

Of course, the book's title also happens to start with SU--a nice coincidence. I have gone with "suttree44" or "suttree_tx" (I live in Austin) whenever just plain Suttree is taken (surprisingly often). I've been around a while, not since the AOL days, but got to this group pretty early just the same--at least three or four boards ago.

Trust me: get the book and read it.

a few months after my father died, I went camping and four wheeling with friends in Utah, where I discovered this natural formation called moqui balls:

moqui_marbles.jpg

the local indians believe that the balls contain the souls of the departed. I snatched one to remind me of my recently departed father, and have been attached to them and the name ever since. I named a dog Moqui, who also died a couple of years ago, and now I have a moqui ball for him, too. I am looking at both of them sitting on my desk as I write this.

at the end of the day, though, I just think it is a cool, unusual & distinctive handle.

That is an excellent story. Honest to God, I thought it was a simple play on Mookie. Which made me question your judgment from the get-go.

Like a few others here, mine is pretty obvious. I graduated from the Cuse in 1979 and my name is Mark. I've often wondered whether I know/knew someone on the board here and didn't know it. Anyone on the board at SU in from 1975-1979 like me?

I lived in Booth freshman, Skytop sophomore and then a fraternity across from Haven (AEPI) my junior and senior year.

Born here, raised here, buried here. And an alum, '97.

Sherm was the best college point I ever saw (I may be slightly biased, but seriously, he was unreal). I also enjoy being called "General". Who wouldn't?

Suttree has often been mistaken for a combination of SU + "tree", apparently with an extra T thrown in for good measure. This is not why I chose the handle. Rather, it's the name of one of the finest books I've ever read. Many consider it Cormac McCarthy's magnum opus, a semi-autobiographical book written during a ~20-year span, containing some of the best writing I've encountered. Frequently hilarious but sometimes achingly sad. A wild array of characters strewn about the seediest parts of Knoxville. I highly recommend it to every one of you. This is the same author who wrote All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian, The Road, No Country for Old Men, and several other excellent works.

Here is the first part of the prologue, offering the reader an introduction to the shores of the Tennessee River in a deeply neglected and depressed part of Knoxville. Calm your mind for a minute and take it in:

Dear friend now in the dusty clockless hours of the town when the streets lie black and the homeless have washed up in the lee of walls in alleys or abandoned lots and cats go forth highshouldered and lean in the grim perimeters about, now in these sootblacked brick or cobbled corridors where lightwire shadows make a gothic harp of cellar doors no soul shall walk save you.

Old stone walls unplumbed by weathers, lodged in their striae fossil bones, limestone scarabs rucked in the floor of this once inland sea. Thin dark trees through yon iron palings where the dead keep their own small metropolis. Curious marble architecture, stele and obelisk and cross and little rainworn stones where names grow dim with years. Earth packed with samples of the casketmaker's trade, the dusty bones and rotted silk, the deathwear stained with carrion. Out there under the blue lamplight the trolleytracks run on to darkness, curved like cockheels in the pinchbeck dusk. The steel leaks back the day's heat, you can feel it through the floors of your shoes. Past these corrugated warehouse walls down little sandy streets where blownout autos sulk on pedestals of cinderblock. Through warrens of sumac and pokeweed and withered honeysuckle giving onto the scored clay banks of the railway. Gray vines coiled leftward in this northern hemisphere, what winds them shapes the dogwhelk's shell. Weeds sprouted from cinder and brick. A steamshovel reared in solitary abandonment against the night sky. Cross here. By frograils and fishplates where engines cough like lions in the dark of the yard. To a darker town, past lamps stoned blind, past smoking oblique shacks and china dogs and painted tires where dirty flowers grow. Down pavings rent with ruin, the slow cataclysm of neglect, the wires that belly pole to pole across the constellations hung with kitestring, with bolos composed of hobbled bottles or the toys of the smaller children. Encampment of the damned . . . .

I love that "slow cataclysm of neglect" bit.

Of course, the book's title also happens to start with SU--a nice coincidence. I have gone with "suttree44" or "suttree_tx" (I live in Austin) whenever just plain Suttree is taken (surprisingly often). I've been around a while, not since the AOL days, but got to this group pretty early just the same--at least three or four boards ago.

Trust me: get the book and read it.

Cool story, bro.

My old handle was USNOrange. I was active duty Navy then. The new handle is because I drive a MINI. My avatar is me driving my old 2007 MINI Cooper S on an excursion with the Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club up near the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. I've since traded that one in and purchased a 2011 John Cooper Works edition. I haven't been out and about with the MINI club yet to get a new avatar photo.

As a longtime reader of this site (although infrequent poster) I've gotten used to seeing both SU and non SU related usernames. So my question is where did yours come from?

Mine is pretty simple. My freshman year at SU I lived on the 14th floor of Lawrinson.

“I had a vision that a man came unto me on a flaming pie, and he said, ‘You are sutomcat with an A.’ And so I was.”~ sutomcat, 1961

Eons ago, I was originally going to use The Old Scout, in honor of the late and great Arnie Burdick, but it was taken, so BO it is.

Most of what I remember from those AOL days was engaging every day all day in some serious trash talking with NYCatFan, a Kentucky diehard.

I wonder what happened to that tool? Also that UCF fan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I signed up in 2005 at both the other 2 sites and some posted on Rivals but most stuck with Scout. Mostly lurk, but read it every day - multiple times a day. I have my own apinion of most posters and there are a few who I feel are very well informed and believe every word they say (wont say who because they might start making things up). There are others that I try not to read at all cause it appears they make up things and try to pass off as fact :) .

On to my name - on the other boards I used my email user name which was my last name backwards since I am somewhere on the continuum of dyslexia. When this board started I changed my name to ERNJ. This goes back to when I lived in New Orleans. As most people probably know NO has its own language - to include the pronunciation of certain syllables. One of those includes the syllable "or". So in the end ERNJ = Orange.

Side note: most have trouble pronouncing the OR but is easily placed in other words where the "r" is not in the word - ex. toilet = turlet, boiled = burled, spoiled = spurled, etc.
Side note #2: there was acar in my neighborhood in NO that was obviously spray painted (talking about the spray paint cans you get at the hardware store) orange and their license plate is ERNJ.

Had the same handle since Gore invented the internet and I needed an AOL address. Simply, my initials and the nickname of the school I coached at then.

Speaking of tools, I wonder what became of OrangeNasty, CIL's BFF. The infamous Joel Capenis.

Edit: Thank you, Facebook. Now goes by a different last name.

390074_10151223704497171_1569454901_n.jpg

I wish I could give this 5,000 thumbs ups.

Had the same handle since Gore invented the internet and I needed an AOL address. Simply, my initials and the nickname of the school I coached at then.

Bville?

Clearly there are many more creative people on this site than me. I live in Vermont. I'm one of many Cuse fans up here, but I got the name first - or else houseofcuse was actually creative.

I could tell you but I'd have to kill you...:mad:

OK, if you agree to kill yourself after you read this...:cool:

It's my initials and the year I graduated from SU. If I had to do it over again, I'd use "LGO" instead of SWC because I invented that abbreviation for the chat room. But, as with stuckinbig11 and others, once you have an identity, you don't like to mess with it.

LGO! :)

I remember how confused I was with people using LGO for about 2 weeks when I first saw it.

But I was too embarrassed to ask what it meant.

My handle on the previous site, where I was a very infrequent poster, was OrangeJersey. On occasion when I did post, someone would incorrectly think I was JerseyOrange, although the quality of my posts could not compare. When this site started I wanted to remove this ambiguity but was at a loss for a much better name and I also took the easy way out by including the graduation year.

When AOL required a screen name I really quickly put Orange in front of my name. I soon discovered that there was a RutgersAl out there and thought about changing mine, but decided it was good enough.

I wonder what happened to that tool? Also that UCF fan.

I remember that UCF fan and recall you had some legendary smack downs with him.