(Semi OT) Where'd you get your username? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

(Semi OT) Where'd you get your username?

As a longtime reader of this site (although infrequent poster) I've gotten used to seeing both SU and non SU related usernames. So my question is where did yours come from?

Mine is pretty simple. My freshman year at SU I lived on the 14th floor of Lawrinson.

First name is Mike, graduated in 2002 (undergrad).

Spent 6 years in the Army, Fort Bragg (home of the Airborne and Special Forces) being my only permanent duty station. Not an overly adventurous type, I was probably the last person my friends thought would jump out of a plane. My last name starts with C, and a joke was started among them that basically went like this:

Officer in uniform: "Mr. President, there's a situation in the Middle East.

President: "Send in the Cbomb."

There was a movie filmed in Syracuse back in 2000 give or take a year or so called Freak Talks About Sex. It was not very good. Starred Steve Zahn and some other dude I never saw again. Had a few laughs. But it struck a chord with me because I had left Syracuse only a year or two prior and it was pretty awesome seeing various local attractions including Carousel Center as well as Lookers used as shooting locations for the film.

On the old board it was FreakTalksAboutOrange which was a mouthful but I liked it better. But had to shorten it to SU here

A geode is a mineral deposit (or rock) that if you break open you may find a cool crystalline surprise. A geode is not terribly unlike a moqui ball in its formation, but this geode's story is far far less inspiring. However, if you take a geode crystal to Lily Dale you may very well find someone who claims they can speak with the dead. Being a geologist by degree only (anymore) this is one of the ways I keep my inner rockhead alive.

I have nothing. Town I live in. Like others have mentioned, I probably should have shortened it when I had the opportunity.

My name is John O'Connor, but my rapper handle has always been JOC. True story, for a time I played tambourine in what became Run-DMC. If I hadn't lost a coin flip to Darryl McDaniels, we would have been called Run-JOC.

The last great M2M defender in the JB era used to scribble "Poppy" on his shoes, in remembrance of his grandfather.

sorry but i dont think poppy ever played hoops at su

tumblr_lhpfqq9icb1qza49co1_500.png

Had to include the names of the second-best mascot of all-time and my second favorite team (whose mascot is the best of all-time), wanted to create some clever pun, but 'OttoMetic' and others sounded a lot better in my head than they did typed out.

So I got impatient and went with this name.

My favorite player growing up was sherm and back when AOL IM was just getting going, my friends and I all created usernames with our favorite sports players. It stuck and 12 years later I still use it!

I can't remember how I came up with my handle. I suppose that MBA that I got from SU didn't make me all that smart......

my God it's been a long time with this since 2002 I think when a die hard more computer literate than me SU fan friend turned me on to SU message boards. Started with the handle when moderating the Syracuse.com board with Fairfaxcuse (yes believe it or not they had moderators back in the day before it became a permanent cesspool).

Met CTO, SUTomcat at some sports bar in Liverpool for some game and started following that board more, quickly realizing where the quality posters and people were. Drifted away from the Syracuse.com duties and board shorthly thereafter and have followed the gang here from place to place as we've moved.

As for the name wanted to convey the quiet yet ferverent feeling about SU in an understated way suggesting no big whup just a regular but loyal and passionate about it nonetheless. Best example would be the "regulars" from one of my old favorite shows, Cheers, with Sam, Cliff, Norm, Carla, Woody and Fraiser, just with it being easy casual and natural following this passion.

One of these days I'll learn how to do it and post a pic of them all as my avatar(edit: done!, thanks gents)

I wondered after I created it if people thought it meant about girlfriends but oh well. History -GFTakedown (Here and scout) ColumbusOrange (Rivals) Been on too long when mother(CherieHoop) used Prodigy back in the day then to AOL. I couldn't change my name any more because I changed when I moved to different locations. Started in L'Pool to Columbus, NY to Glens Falls, NY and now in Georgetown, TX. Wife just got a new job at Cornell so we are moving again for the last time to the Ithaca area. I will remain GF Takedown.

Are there any other relatives on the board? (Mother and both brothers are posters)

I think this is my 4th user name on this legendary forum so obviously no strong attachment to any of them.

I was susvu, not even sure why, but then I started watching Law & Order SVU and eventually Stabler completely lost his marbles. He was a loose cannon and I no longer wanted to be associated with an out of control TV detective - so I switched to Ghost.

I always thought mine was self explanatory. I'm a cuse fan living in Cincinnati.