(Semi OT) Where'd you get your username? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

(Semi OT) Where'd you get your username?

The origin of the handle goes back to the AOL days when I was sharing an account with one of my fraternity brothers. He set up my email, and thus this handle. Not really wanting to confuse everyone (including myself) when we moved the board from site to site, and because the handle was always available, I have kept it ever since.

The handle is a combo of my first name and a name JoeCollege called me when he was piss drunk (from a famous cartoon strip). I guess in his delusional state I looked like that mischievous little kid. I had more hair then.

The origin of the handle goes back to the AOL days when I was sharing an account with one of my fraternity brothers. He set up my email, and thus this handle. Not really wanting to confuse everyone (including myself) when we moved the board from site to site, and because the handle was always available, I have kept it ever since.

The handle is a combo of my first name and a name JoeCollege called me when he was piss drunk (from a famous cartoon strip).

Calvin and Hobbs?...loved that strip...

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

Yep. One of my all time favorite cartoon strips. Along with The Far Side.

I still have my college far side coffee cup. Its the one where the kid is pushing the pull door for the Midvale School for the Gifted.

2525d1142431901-best-far-side-cartoons-midvale.jpg

Far side was great too...bloom county was great as well

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

I still have my college far side coffee cup. Its the one where the kid is pushing the pull door for the Midvale School for the Gifted.

2525d1142431901-best-far-side-cartoons-midvale.jpg

One of my favorites will always be the one where the hunter has the two bears in his sights and the one bear is pointing at the other one.

[quote="GFTakedown, post: 473112, member:

Are there any other relatives on the board? (Mother and both brothers are posters)[/quote]

I am probably PeteCalvin's father. Pete works with Cheriehoop, and I have used her tickets for basketball. I think that makes us third cousins twice removed.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Pete has been Calvin since he pledged my beloved and now banished fraternity back in spring of 90. While I ridicule home mercilessly, he's a stand up fella and a good man. And he resembled Calvin. He dragged a stuffed animal with him all over campus.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

[quote="GFTakedown, post: 473112, member:

Are there any other relatives on the board? (Mother and both brothers are posters)

Cheriehoop's other son is "SenditHome" (or something like that). I think at least one of bees' relatives posts here too. Also there is a famous brother combo ... KaiserUEO and his brother. But I will protect the innocent and not disclose the brother's screen name.

Cheriehoop's other son is "SenditHome" (or something like that). I think at least one of bees' relatives posts here too. Also there is a famous brother combo ... KaiserUEO and his brother. But I will protect the innocent and not disclose the brother's screen name.

Brother and 2 cousins both post

As a longtime reader of this site (although infrequent poster) I've gotten used to seeing both SU and non SU related usernames. So my question is where did yours come from?

Mine is pretty simple. My freshman year at SU I lived on the 14th floor of Lawrinson.
Had a "few" drinks when signing up. Wanted a handle easy to remember. Even with a "few" drinks I should be able to recall the right color and my first name.

There was a movie filmed in Syracuse back in 2000 give or take a year or so called Freak Talks About Sex. It was not very good. Starred Steve Zahn and some other dude I never saw again. Had a few laughs. But it struck a chord with me because I had left Syracuse only a year or two prior and it was pretty awesome seeing various local attractions including Carousel Center as well as Lookers used as shooting locations for the film.

On the old board it was FreakTalksAboutOrange which was a mouthful but I liked it better. But had to shorten it to SU here
An acquaintance of mine from high school directed that movie. He is a C-NS Grad and a super-nice guy. He was also a piano prodigy.

There was a movie filmed in Syracuse back in 2000 give or take a year or so called Freak Talks About Sex. It was not very good. Starred Steve Zahn and some other dude I never saw again. Had a few laughs. But it struck a chord with me because I had left Syracuse only a year or two prior and it was pretty awesome seeing various local attractions including Carousel Center as well as Lookers used as shooting locations for the film.

On the old board it was FreakTalksAboutOrange which was a mouthful but I liked it better. But had to shorten it to SU here
I was in that movie.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm amazed how many of you remember your handles from previous boards. I've been around for a while and a bunch of migrations and can't remember what I used to go by.

An acquaintance of mine from high school directed that movie. He is a C-NS Grad and a super-nice guy. He was also a piano prodigy.

Well no offense meant by calling it not very good. I personally enjoy ed it but think it was primarily do to the Syracuse angle

Were you the Freak? ;)
Actually, yes. One of the things they had me do was be a stand in for Steve Zahn. Him and I look quite a bit alike. I was kind of a super extra for them. The director saw me and right away had the hair and makeup girl give me a trim to match Steve's hair cut better. There are a bunch of scenes where you think you see the back of Steve Zahn's head but *spoiler alert* it's mine.

During filming the working title was "Keenan and Freak." I highly doubt my parents would have let me do the movie if they had known what the movie was going to be called.

Well no offense meant by calling it not very good. I personally enjoy ed it but think it was primarily do to the Syracuse angle
No offense was taken. I was just surprised anyone knew about the movie. Although, I guess Syracuse people are the most likely to have watched it.

My name is Brandon and I live in Kansas City.
Loved Freak Talks About Sex for the simple fact that Lookers got into a movie.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I honestly made this name as a tribute to my service and that I have become a diehard fan again after taking a few yrs off of being diehard but rather just a fan. However, after I made it I didnt really like it but just kinda said screw it.

Played college ball for Stan Albeck at Northern Michigan University. Stan went on to coach in the NBA for seven years: Cavaliers, Spurs, Nets and Bulls. I wore #43 at NMU.