Seth Davis predicts us to lose our home game this weekend | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seth Davis predicts us to lose our home game this weekend

The line is going to be around 3.5 . I think we will cover but this is no Montana.

Seth Davis went to Duke.
St. John's last headline upset win was over Duke.
A St. John's win, takes that off the board.
Duke blows.
Connection?
I would love to see your analysis of the JFK assassination.

For people who enjoy attacking Seth Davis...how about this:
His dad is Lanny Davis, President Clinton's attorney & mouthpiece.
So Seth comes by his off-kilter spin naturally.

The whole meme of MSG being Syracuse's home court south is a bit deceptive. While we have had considerable success there our W-L record would be surprising to most. The SU Orange men's basketball team has a 51-35 record at games played in the Garden since the 1990-91 season, according to the university's Athletic Communications office, It claimed Big East championships there in 1992, 2005 and 2006 and won what is arguably one of college basketball's best games there, a six-overtime win over Connecticut, on March 12, 2009.

That works out to a 59% winning percentage. I know I would have guessed it was higher than that. Also, with the line being 3.5 and adding the fact that the Johnnies might be playing with a sense of desperation and abandon... this thing could be close.

There is however a part of me that says this one isn't even remotely close and we crush them.

The whole meme of MSG being Syracuse's home court south is a bit deceptive. While we have had considerable success there our W-L record would be surprising to most. The SU Orange men's basketball team has a 51-35 record at games played in the Garden since the 1990-91 season, according to the university's Athletic Communications office, It claimed Big East championships there in 1992, 2005 and 2006 and won what is arguably one of college basketball's best games there, a six-overtime win over Connecticut, on March 12, 2009.

That works out to a 59% winning percentage. I know I would have guessed it was higher than that. Also, with the line being 3.5 and adding the fact that the Johnnies might be playing with a sense of desperation and abandon... this thing could be close.

There is however a part of me that says this one isn't even remotely close and we crush them.
Not terribly surprised as we were not consistently excellent in the BE tourney

Last edited:
Seth Davis has to pick a couple of upsets every week or his column comes off really lame. It's on the road (or is it?); it gives him a reason to write about St. John's and the dilemma of mid-major teams. It's good for him if we talk about it here even though we think he's full of it. (There's no such thing as bad publicity). It makes him look good if we lose, it doesn't cost him anything if we win. He really doesn't think we are going to lose.

Kennedy was a Catholic as was St. John.
The Pope
Oswald was warped

JFK was a Catholic and St. John's is a Catholic institution.
Duke was founded by Protestants and Oswald was a Protestant.
Texas is an intolerant state and Duke blows.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...izona-michigan-weekend-pickoff/#ixzz2nNaYiGDV

I think it will be a close game and with our opponent having probably close to half of the crowd it will be tough to win, but I like our chances to win a tight ball game.

Back 100 years ago when I used to bet on games, I learned that picking a team "because they have to win" / "they need it more" seldom works out.

Syracuse should win this one by 6-11 points, depending on our foul shooting.

Just a gut feeling this could be an ugly "Hey any W is a good W" type game.

I'm okay with that. Teams need to learn that winning ugly is still a win.

People still don't realize how good we are. We are nowhere near our ceiling yet with this team, and when I look around at the other "name" teams in college basketball this year, they look like they have lots more problems than we do. College basketball in general seems down this year, even with all these overhyped freshman in the game this year.

I would say that a 60% winning percentage is really good for playing on a court 4 hours away, against numerous teams, many of them really good (given that many of the games are tournament games or games set up for television).