Seth Greenberg Boosts JB | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seth Greenberg Boosts JB

They found some things, as they would at any D-1 college if given that long to find stuff. To any team's fans who bitch about SU and the "cheaters" that we are, I just ask -- "what do you think the NCAA would find if it spent nearly a decade sifting through your athletic department?" No athletic department would be safe from that -- but it doesn't happen in most cases. The Bernie Fine and the self reporting led to this. Fans and radio jocks being holier than thou is par for the course. It's what they do, to sound like the moral authority. It's BS, but it is what it is.

Oklahoma basketball was JUST on probation.

Villanova suspended 12 players during that phone call mess.

It must be nice to try to state that these things occur because of some bad apples versus analyzing the system as a whole. We had issues. We self-reported. We are paying the penalty.

Golic went to ND, which has PLENTY of recent issues, including a death of someone at a football practice! They had a recent academic coach sex scandal.

Northwestern? Point shaving and gambling!

None of us are watching a pure thing. Let's get over that. You want to feel good? Watch Mr. Rogers. Otherwise, get off your high horse, M&M.

I can't believe how many articles and message board posts I've seen that talk about SU's academic fraud over a decade. More like we were investigated for almost a decade and all they found was one Fab Melo paper that had like a page or two corrected by a tutor.

Considering the length of the investigation and what they found, I think the NCAA should have awarded SU extra scholarships. I would love to see what came out if every other basketball program was put under the same microscope.
Yes, OVER A DECADE is the phrase used again and again. I am seriously considering writing a letter to the NYT about this lazy journalism, but I doubt it would be printed.

I cannot agree with this enough. I said this last year and I believe it today, I am legitimately proud of our institution's "showing" during a near decade-long investigation. A decade. As in 120 months or about 3650 days!

I think when it all comes out of the wash, our transgressions were footnote(s) were added to a single Fab paper, 5 athletes were paid the equivalent of $1.83 per day, we did not contact players parent who smoked weed, and a basketball player was given a free 6-mile ride back to campus from a community appearance. I believe all of this was self-reported to the NCAA. The Ath Dept's meeting (sans JAB) to try to keep Fab eligible was also pushing it, but I am not sure if this is actually illegal per NCAAA guidelines.

We should have been punished. We got hammered. Yet Syracuse hoops and Jim Boeheim are somehow morally bankrupt?
Can I plagiarize this for my mythical letter to the NYT? I am so lazy! Ironic, isn't it?

Ozcuse said:
I'm as big an SU homer as they come but are you guys completely forgetting the Daryl Gross's "Dream Team" pressure put on the professor to change a grade to make Fab Melo eligible and then the subsequent cover up? For those who quickly forgot. http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...far_did_school_go_keep_fab_melo_eligible.html I don't think Jim Boeheim should have been punished harshly for what some AD staff performed and it seemed that those with direct involvement were dealt with (after the fact). Still, if you get caught you need to be punished. Bottom line, every major school does it but when the NCAA is looking through your underwear drawer for 10 years, make sure they are clean before putting them away.

It still cracks me up. That they met should not have been the issue, nor should pushing it through quickly. Time was of the essence because ... Time was of the essence.

When I was a student at Syracuse I needed a Dean to help me get some credits re-classified as in my major when they weren't. It was timely, I had people help me, so I could graduate on time.

The issue was that Fab didn't do the work or that there is some question as to who wrote the thing. That's bad and we were punished for it. At the time (Fab not playing) and now (sanctions).

This is where we get to interject the realities of what UNC has done for decades, right? I mean it's like describing your neighbor with a dog in the backyard and an actual zoo as the same thing.

I can't believe how many articles and message board posts I've seen that talk about SU's academic fraud over a decade. More like we were investigated for almost a decade and all they found was one Fab Melo paper that had like a page or two corrected by a tutor.

Considering the length of the investigation and what they found, I think the NCAA should have awarded SU extra scholarships. I would love to see what came out if every other basketball program was put under the same microscope.

In the words of George W Bush (probably our greatest president of all time because he got so much of his agenda accomplished):

“See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.”

And Fab Melo and James Southerland SERVED IN SEASON SUSPENSIONS. And then the school was penalized again. What !! Double Jeopardy much?

Didn't a UK player tell Wes Johnson that they were given (untraceable) prepaid credit cards for spending money? It was something like that. The player was shocked that SU players didn't have anything like that.

Yes, John Wall. He said they had spending accounts set up with local merchants.

And don't forget the $40,000 in an overnight express package to get Chris Mills to sign with UK.

Vanilla was also given probation for repeated recruiting violations under Saint Jay. Funny how that never comes up.

Thanx to Ozcuse, Clockwork Orange, and SU94 for the added details. Much obliged.

Somewhere between the Louisville and Chapel Hill mountains, there's a Syracuse mole hill.-VBOF

Yeah it gets really annoying reading through articles and boards and seeing people say UNC and SU are the worse programs in basketball for decades of academic fraud. Each time you see it, you realize that the particular person saying that never paid a single moment of attention as to what happened with SU.

They just saw a headline with the words Syracuse Investigation, Sanctions, Infractions, etc. Couldn't bother to listen or read any further before making up their minds that Cuse is crooked. Really goes to show how foolish people are.

Yes, OVER A DECADE is the phrase used again and again. I am seriously considering writing a letter to the NYT about this lazy journalism, but I doubt it would be printed.
Don't bother with the NY Times. I mean you can, but the paper which let Judith Miller print so many unconscionably bad, inaccurate, biased, etc stories about the buildup to the Iraq war, which surely influenced if not the lawmakers then certainly the public's attitude toward it is no paragon of virtue. (There are other recent examples that are slightly less egregious but still bad.) And it is indeed almost impossible to have a letter be printed.

I've had several LTTEs printed by the NY Daily News. The key is to be brief and snappy. But I don't know if you're mad at their coverage of the issue.

In the words of George W Bush (probably our greatest president of all time because he got so much of his agenda accomplished):

“See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda.”

Is that a real quote or are you starting some propaganda of your own?

Don't bother with the NY Times. I mean you can, but the paper which let Judith Miller print so many unconscionably bad, inaccurate, biased, etc stories about the buildup to the Iraq war, which surely influenced if not the lawmakers then certainly the public's attitude toward it is no paragon of virtue. (There are other recent examples that are slightly less egregious but still bad.) And it is indeed almost impossible to have a letter be printed.

I've had several LTTEs printed by the NY Daily News. The key is to be brief and snappy. But I don't know if you're mad at their coverage of the issue.
I don't read the Daily News but do read the Times. And yes, I remember perfectly the Judith Miller disaster. But it was the Times journalist who I believe committed the egregious offense of writing "decade" twice! I have always believed that every individual can make a difference in what people think or do, but then sometimes I cop out with a "meh" attitude.

If I ever write that dadgum letter, this board will be the first to know!

Theres nothing new in this media reaction of lumping similar stories together without context or perspective. Welcome to drive-by media through hack journalism.
There's also nothing unique about "our" reaction to it, in that we would like people to know all the facts but of course, that's just a pipe-dream. The public doesn't know nor care about the "whole" story- they just read the headlines.
To wit: "Academic fraud and child abuse that was witnessed and overseen by that surly old cuss, Boeheim...who sunk so low as to attack VICTIMS of abuse to defend & protect his out-of-control program", that's the narrative.
Its a exercise in masochism to think that most uninformed people and of course the haters, will see this differently. They are angry in their impotence, and we don't need to feed it by pointing out and reacting to every perceived slight, and there will be many.
Winning is the best revenge, so just... let it go. :cool:

The solution to this is pretty simple. SU needs to cleanse this Final Four of the scourge that is UNC. It's a moral imperative. The Tarheels have to go. They will end up vacating the title anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom