Seth Greenberg is one of the best analysts out there... | Syracusefan.com

Seth Greenberg is one of the best analysts out there...

cto

Administrator
He had clearly done his homework about both teams... and also had great insights as the game progressed.

And although he's a former Long Beach State coach, he showed no partiality to either team.

Plus, he was funny. Such as his line when asked whether CMac was a draft prospect this year ("He's more of a suspect than a prospect."). He was referring only to this year... and quickly added that he could be a very good prospect after some more experience and more strength.

Oh, and he also made fun of journalists setting themselves up as judge's of NBA talent (e.g., Chad Ford). But then he quickly said something to the effect of "Wait, aren't we considered journalists here?" (It was much funnier when he said it)

He also was very complimentary of Trevor's all-around game and his importance to the team... and he took a shot at Syracuse fans who "have made Trevor their whipping boy." It was almost as though he had been reading this forum.

Seth's a new favorite of mine.

Last edited:
Bayside44 said:
I get the impression he's positioning himself to be the next Vitale of that network. Good announcer and positive kind of guy.

Yeah, I noticed that as well, he's always positive and one thing I really liked was that he always had something interesting to talk about. Hopefully he calls more games for us this year.

I surprisingly agree with this. I think he has been just awful in the studio the last few years, one of the worst. Very boring, never took a risk, basically nothing but "both teams played hard", etc. But he was great yesterday. Maybe he is just better suited to do color than general (blah) "analysis."

I liked when they showed him coaching 20 years ago, and he was still bald. It reminded me of Principal Strickland in Back of the Future. "Did that guy ever have hair?"

He did say that was just before his hair was 100% back on defense or something to that nature. LOL

I'll agree with the sentiment of the thread that he did a very good job as the color/analyst. Which surprised me because he is kind of a blah toe the line guy in studio.

Bilas is the new Vitale at ESPN but I enjoyed Greenberg's commentary.

Greenberg is a great analyst because he isn't afraid to give legitimate opinions.

He was twice ACC coach of the year... for the job he did with what little talent he had (and given everyone's low expectations for the VTech teams)..

We will be lucky to make the Tourney this year and this team has twice the talent any of his teams ever did. He was a very good coach.

What? Greenberg sucks! I will agree he was slightly better in the booth than the studio, but that is saying very little. His jokes were cringe-worthy, as always, and I thought his analysis was as empty as usual.

Our favorite comment from "Uncle Fester" was during halftime of the UVa-Harvard game at the end of his interview with Tony Bennett about UVa's offense. "That's why you're where you are and I'm where I am." We like him a heckUVa lot more now that he's in the studio, but just about all of us agree that VPI shafted him and will come to regret it more than they do now.

Our favorite comment from "Uncle Fester" was during halftime of the UVa-Harvard game at the end of his interview with Tony Bennett about UVa's offense. "That's why you're where you are and I'm where I am." We like him a heckUVa lot more now that he's in the studio, but just about all of us agree that VPI shafted him and will come to regret it more than they do now.

His in game coaching wasn't bad IMO. I would say that recruiting could be a legitimate criticism but then again who wants to play ball at VPI?

eh you ought not sleep on Buzz - not that I'm a fan of the guy - but he recruits well (especially juco) and seems to get the most out of players and I could easily see vtech surpassing uva sometime in the near future

Greenberg's daughters were captains of VPI dance squad and volleyball squad and are VPI alums apparently that is why he didn't destroy the school after he was fired in such a weird way.

eh you ought not sleep on Buzz - not that I'm a fan of the guy - but he recruits well (especially juco) and seems to get the most out of players and I could easily see vtech surpassing uva sometime in the near future

If Bennett stays put I'd be surprised. I agree that Buzz gets maximum effort from his guys and really is probably the best at farming the JUCO circuit for legit players. That said much of what his success was built on at Marquette is unlikely to play well in the ACC IMO. We will see but I would say that Vtech is a tougher place to be successful than Virginia in bball and Virginia already has a very good young coach in place running a very successful program right now.

If Bennett stays put I'd be surprised. I agree that Buzz gets maximum effort from his guys and really is probably the best at farming the JUCO circuit for legit players. That said much of what his success was built on at Marquette is unlikely to play well in the ACC IMO. We will see but I would say that Vtech is a tougher place to be successful that Virginia in bball and Virginia already has a very good young coach in place running a very successful program right now.
yeah I'm just not sold that Bennett can recruit at the level needed in the acc

yeah I'm just not sold that Bennett can recruit at the level needed in the acc

It will be interesting because he had some good holdovers and the squad is solid right now but I think his system is more like a Jamie Dixon's (except better) where it doesn't need tier 1 talent to be successful as long as he has good experienced players. Either way its got to be easier to recruit to Virginia than to Tech right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom