Seth Greenberg is one of the best analysts out there... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seth Greenberg is one of the best analysts out there...

I always enjoy broadcasts when the people doing the color commentary know and respect Jimmy B. There's a lot less "Syracuse never leaves the state of NY" and "Jimmy has always been a whiner," etc, because guys like Bilas, and Bobby Knight, and Greenberg, all know and respect Jim and fully grasp how difficult it really has to have been to build a power at a relatively small, private school with bad weather 8 months of the year.

It will be interesting because he had some good holdovers and the squad is solid right now but I think his system is more like a Jamie Dixon's (except better) where it doesn't need tier 1 talent to be successful as long as he has good experienced players. Either way its got to be easier to recruit to Virginia than to Tech right?

He's been at UVA 6 years now. These are all his players. Count me as someone sold on Bennett. He won at Washington State, and recruited Klay Thompson to go there. Isn't that like winning at Rutgers? Unless something crazy happens I don't expect Virginia to drop from the ACC's elite anytime soon.

It will be interesting because he had some good holdovers and the squad is solid right now but I think his system is more like a Jamie Dixon's (except better) where it doesn't need tier 1 talent to be successful as long as he has good experienced players. Either way its got to be easier to recruit to Virginia than to Tech right?

The elite talent don't want to play in systems that are set up to score 50 a game.

With Bennett, UVA should continue to stay atop the league. If I were an in-state recruit i would much rather spend my time in Cville than BBurg...and I can't stand Cville. But, JPJ is the best arena in the league.

The elite talent don't want to play in systems that are set up to score 50 a game.
We've come to feel that most elite talent doesn't want to play defense anywhere near as much as they want to play offense. For far too many of them, their ability to play any defense is in question. There are not too many 5* who we can get into school. We try to compensate for our not being able to use them to score 80 points a game by not giving up 55.

Reactions: cto
We've come to feel that most elite talent doesn't want to play defense anywhere near as much as they want to play offense. For far too many of them, their ability to play any defense is in question. There are not too many 5* who we can get into school. We try to compensate for our not being able to use them to score 80 points a game by not giving up 55.

Well as far as I'm concerned its always enjoyable to watch someone beat Dixon at his own game. That said the grind of college bball is getting to be a drag and they really need to tighten up the way they call the game or its only going to get worse. Its hard to fault coaches anymore for encouraging physical play that gives you an advantage when they are not blowing the whistle.

Last edited:

Does UVA have strict restrictions on incoming players? I guess UNC wouldn't be a good example with the pickle they've been in lately.

He had clearly done his homework about both teams... and also had great insights as the game progressed.

And although he's a former Long Beach State coach, he showed no partiality to either team.

Plus, he was funny. Such as his line when asked whether CMac was a draft prospect this year ("He's more of a suspect than a prospect."). He was referring only to this year... and quickly added that he could be a very good prospect after some more experience and more strength.

Oh, and he also made fun of journalists setting themselves up as judge's of NBA talent (e.g., Chad Ford). But then he quickly said something to the effect of "Wait, aren't we considered journalists here?" (It was much funnier when he said it)

He also was very complimentary of Trevor's all-around game and his importance to the team... and he took a shot at Syracuse fans who "have made Trevor their whipping boy." It was almost as though he had been reading this forum.

Seth's a new favorite of mine.

couple things... he did say that gbinje was a 5th yr senior which was odd, because he was so on target with everything else.

the poster who compared him to Vitale is on to something. I like Greenberg a lot. I hope he sticks with the color. I could see him making his way up the ladder pretty quickly.

And NOTHING made me happier to hear him take that shot at the Cooney haters. And to say that Cooney isn't just a spot up shooter. I remember being chastised for saying Cooney could take it to the rack. I have so many opinions on that... but I'm just going to stop there :)

Bilas is the new Vitale at ESPN but I enjoyed Greenberg's commentary.

Greenberg is a great analyst because he isn't afraid to give legitimate opinions.

I think you are missing the comparison.

Bilas is the smartest guy in the room. He is very analytical and nerdy funny. He is an A lister, no doubt.

Vitale and Greenberg are the happy go lucky, make fun of themselves, very complimentary, loud and laughing guys.

The comparison wasn't necessarily that Greenberg was going to get the primetime Sat night games.

Well as far as I'm concerned its always enjoyable to watch someone beat Dixon at his own game. That said they grind of college bball is getting to be a drag and they really need to tighten up the way they call the game or its only going to get worse. Its hard to fault coaches anymore for encouraging physical play that gives you an advantage when they are not blowing the whistle.
and that's just it, yeah virginia's defense is effective but it's basically the Pitt ugly physical BS. "pack line" = bump, push and handcheck as much as possible

I always enjoy broadcasts when the people doing the color commentary know and respect Jimmy B. There's a lot less "Syracuse never leaves the state of NY" and "Jimmy has always been a whiner," etc, because guys like Bilas, and Bobby Knight, and Greenberg, all know and respect Jim and fully grasp how difficult it really has to have been to build a power at a relatively small, private school with bad weather 8 months of the year.

bobby knight? he hasn't called a syracuse game in like 5 years. maybe longer.

his role with espn has been shrinking FAST since the UK-vandy debacle a few years ago.

bobby knight? he hasn't called a syracuse game in like 5 years. maybe longer.

his role with espn has been shrinking FAST since the UK-vandy debacle a few years ago.

I didn't say he's called an SU game recently. I just said I always enjoyed when he did, because of his respect for JB.

Does UVA have strict restrictions on incoming players? I guess UNC wouldn't be a good example with the pickle they've been in lately.
There are a lot of players that we won't go after because we know they won't get in. Under Bennett, it's more of a question as to whether a player would play defense to our standards. I think more players tell us they're not interested or that the coaches feel they can't/won't play our style than we have to pass on grades. We can let just about anyone in if we really wanted, but they would have a great deal of difficulty staying eligible. It wouldn't be at all fair to the kid.

There are a lot of players that we won't go after because we know they won't get in. Under Bennett, it's more of a question as to whether a player would play defense to our standards. I think more players tell us they're not interested or that the coaches feel they can't/won't play our style than we have to pass on grades. We can let just about anyone in if we really wanted, but they would have a great deal of difficulty staying eligible. It wouldn't be at all fair to the kid.
Right, it's simply a matter of Virginia picking which players it wants.

Elite talent wants to make it to the NBA. Sure the one and done guys that go to KY arent looking to join a system where they wont get significant minutes in year 1 and we miss out on those players, but as long as we have a continuous stream of players making it into the NBA we will get enough 20-100 guys to keep the team competitive with the factory teams, and after 5-7 years of that, who knows maybe the players coming out of UVA will be sought after in the NBA for defensive abilities. Either way, you dont need only top 20 guys to compete at the highest level, Bennett has shown that already.

In the next few years we have quite a few guys that have a shot of playing in the NBA. Anderson is a potential first rounder, Brogdon will make it, Perrantes will probably get a shot, Gill will probably be a bench guy, Stith/Hall/Shayok all look like potential NBA players. Tobey is looking more and more the part. Even if only 3-4 of those end up being NBA players, that would be awesome for UVA's recruiting.

Elite talent wants to make it to the NBA. Sure the one and done guys that go to KY arent looking to join a system where they wont get significant minutes in year 1 and we miss out on those players, but as long as we have a continuous stream of players making it into the NBA we will get enough 20-100 guys to keep the team competitive with the factory teams, and after 5-7 years of that, who knows maybe the players coming out of UVA will be sought after in the NBA for defensive abilities. Either way, you dont need only top 20 guys to compete at the highest level, Bennett has shown that already.

In the next few years we have quite a few guys that have a shot of playing in the NBA. Anderson is a potential first rounder, Brogdon will make it, Perrantes will probably get a shot, Gill will probably be a bench guy, Stith/Hall/Shayok all look like potential NBA players. Tobey is looking more and more the part. Even if only 3-4 of those end up being NBA players, that would be awesome for UVA's recruiting.
:rolling:

Uva and Pitt are very similar. Completely defensive oriented and usually got success from the older guys who seem like they have been there forever. Will be interesting to see if he can keep it up. I think they will be a top 25 team usually but not top 5

Uva and Pitt are very similar. Completely defensive oriented and usually got success from the older guys who seem like they have been there forever. Will be interesting to see if he can keep it up. I think they will be a top 25 team usually but not top 5

Agreed in general being top 5-10 will be abnormal long term as it is for most teams. I also think that college will again at some point begin to move in the direction of freedom of movement and less physical contact in general which will decrease the advantages of defenses in general but will have more of an effect on this type of defensive system. These systems have been created because of the way calling initial contact has devolved.

Doubting UVA's sustainability is dumb. Bennett can coach and his team has increased its win total every year. They don't need elite talent as Bennett's system works.
The ACC is going to have Duke/UNC/Louisville/Syracuse/UVA as its top tier.
Pitt/Notre Dame/NC State and the rest on the next tier.

Doubting UVA's sustainability is dumb. Bennett can coach and his team has increased its win total every year. They don't need elite talent as Bennett's system works.
We'll see.

Greenberg's daughters were captains of VPI dance squad and volleyball squad

quagmire.gif

Finally someone gets this thread back on track!

That was just sitting there, coming slowly across the heart of the plate just begging to be parked. I'm surprised someone didn't put it in the upper deck sooner. Slackers.

Oh I agree 100%... I think bennett is one of the best coaches going. He will have them consistently a top ACC team because of how hard his teams are to play. UVA doesn't necessarily play that real aggressive man defense though. Much more tactical and everyone is ALWAYS a in sync with each other. And they have always been outstanding when it comes to rebounding defensively

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom