Class of 2020 - SF Andre Jackson (NY) Offered | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 SF Andre Jackson (NY) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
My apologies if this is incorrect, but I think you were one here repeatedly implying along the lines of how AJ coming to 'Cuse was a done deal, and for all intents and purposes anything else spewed out there was just a facade. With that, apparently JB's book wasn't as clear for you as you claim.

He was. I have no idea what JBs book has to do with it.

He was. I have no idea what JBs book has to do with it.
And then some wonder why some posters have stopped posting info they get. First, things change in life. As for us being in decline, we have been here before. During and after the last probation. The only things that saved us from misery then was John Wallace was local and still came to Syracuse and Lawrence Moten turned out to be 300% better than we thought he would be. But that doesn't fit the miserable narrative.

UConn can offer:

-Close to home
-Immediate PT
-family can drive to almost every conference game

We could only offer one of those things. It’s possible those 3 were andres priorities

Why does location only an issue for us? It’s clearly not an issue for KU, Duke, NC

And then some wonder why some posters have stopped posting info they get. First, things change in life. As for us being in decline, we have been here before. During and after the last probation. The only things that saved us from misery then was John Wallace was local and still came to Syracuse and Lawrence Moten turned out to be 300% better than we thought he would be. But that doesn't fit the miserable narrative.
In those days 1 McD AA could provide multi-year stability for a program at a crossroads. John Wallace in 2019 stays 1 year instead of 4. A guy like IJ helps stem the bleeding for 1 year. That doesn't buy enough time to change the perception.

The coaches put a lot of time and effort into recruiting AJ, and my default is to really want to land guys the coaches really want. But I'm just not all that bothered if he goes to UConn:

1. By all accounts he can't shoot. I firmly believe our offense runs best when we have at least three guys on the court who can credibly shoot the three. If your small forward isn't one of them, it means your power forward probably has to have shooting range (which is sometimes true, but not always) and that your point guard better be a shooter (which limits your ability to run with a playmaking point guard who isn't really a shooter).

2. Looking at our roster and the guys we're currently recruiting, forward is the last place I worry about right now. If we land Benny Williams, or Guerrier sticks around longer than expected, or Braswell becomes a credible rotation piece, or IJ commits, then we'll be okay at forward. I get much more concerned when we don't have a credible point guard or center because there usually aren't in-house alternatives that are available.

3. I got sort of worn out by the "he's coming here but he doesn't want to commit just yet." It's the classic case where you ask a girl to the prom and she says yes but doesn't want you to tell anyone yet (not that it ever happened to me). It's hard to reach any conclusion other than he's not 100% sold and is looking to see if a better option develops. In hindsight, AJ probably was worried about playing time and was holding off to see if anything developed to simplify his path to the starting lineup at SU.

Jackson was worried about PT.

Uconn pitched that PT was more easily guarenteed at uconn than SU.

Uconn conceded SU has more talent and is more difficult to obtain meaningful first year PT at.

This worked for Andre. What I feel about what that says about Uconn and Andre doesn’t matter. It happened, time to move on.

Jackson was worried about PT.

Uconn pitched that PT was more easily guarenteed at uconn than SU.

Uconn conceded SU has more talent and is more difficult to obtain meaningful first year PT at.

This worked for Andre. What I feel about what that says about Uconn and Andre doesn’t matter. It happened, time to move on.
The irony of this is this is how Calhoun built their program. He sold the Big East and that you can't play for Syracuse because they have DC, Billy, Sherm and there is no playing time there.

The irony of this is this is how Calhoun built their program. He sold the Big East and that you can't play for Syracuse because they have DC, Billy, Sherm and there is no playing time there.
Dion Waiters, MCW and Jerami Grant didn’t let worries about talented rosters sway their decision. I don’t think missing here is as big a nightmare as many make it out to be.

In those days 1 McD AA could provide multi-year stability for a program at a crossroads. John Wallace in 2019 stays 1 year instead of 4. A guy like IJ helps stem the bleeding for 1 year. That doesn't buy enough time to change the perception.
Disagree. It sends a message that we are back in play for 5 star kids. Bulldog says his source says they are going back in the 5 star market. Time will tell. First, let's get IJ.

That’s what we said about 2018... and 2019... we just keep moving the target ahead one year. We’ll get ‘er done next year.

Our 2019 class is pretty solid.

Andre would have been great, but whatever. Would likely have complimented the shooters, but you never know. We've seen guys drive the lane and get eaten up. Feel bad for any kid that winds up at uconn though. Should have gone to Iowa or UCLA if not Syracuse.

Yes, I know these things have a way of working themselves out but with Isaiah suddenly in the picture we were facing a very real possibility of needing to find spots for two 2020 additions with no scholarships presently available. And I know, first world problems, but I would hate to see us in a position where we would have to essentially run off older players to make room for newer models, particularly with such a young roster.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to have seen Andre in orange but sometimes you come to appreciate unanswered prayers.

giphy.gif

For Andres sake lets see if Hurley can coach offense by then

Hurley gets a mulligan for last year (not his roster, first year new system, etc) but he’s had a year to coach these guys and brought in a good recruiting class - if he’s under .500 again all of a sudden all his national championship talk isn’t looking so hot. He’s gotten the benefit of the doubt of not putting anyone in the NBA at URI, but if he’s under.500 in his first 2 years at UConn it’ll be interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom