Class of 2019 - SF Anthony Duruji / Transferring from La Tech to Florida | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SF Anthony Duruji / Transferring from La Tech to Florida

If OB comes back he is our best player.

If OB comes back he is our best player.

He would be our best rebounder. But far from our best offensive player. It's hard to see him not playing a smaller role next year and seeing his time drop. Guerrier is going to play next year. We have too many guards already for Hughes to really see any significant time there.

He would be our best rebounder. But far from our best offensive player. It's hard to see him not playing a smaller role next year and seeing his time drop. Guerrier is going to play next year. We have too many guards already for Hughes to really see any significant time there.

I don't think OB comes back to a smaller role. But I don't disagree, necessarily. It's what makes his decision interesting. If he comes back he has to play better offensively. That's not a given.

I don't think OB comes back to a smaller role. But I don't disagree, necessarily. It's what makes his decision interesting. If he comes back he has to play better offensively. That's not a given.

I agree. That's why I think he's gone.

He may or may not be back. My points are twofold:

1. JB isnt kicking Oshae to the curb
2. People who dont want Oshae back must huff gasoline

Like with Paul Harris, there is a player coming in who looks like he might be a better player - in Oshae's case, Guerrier looks like a better offensive player than Oshae, just like Wes Johnson looked like a better player who was going to get some of Paul Harris' time.

Some players don't hang around, when they see they're going to go from playing 38 minutes a game as a frosh, to 32 minutes a game as a soph, to maybe 25 minutes a game as a junior. It's a regression. He's going to get less time, because his offense is limited and his decision making has to get a lot better. He still tries to twist and turn and avoid contact when he finishes near the rim.

Guerrier appears to be stronger, and powers through the defender to get to the rim. Now, of course, that's against HS kids, but I'm thinking specifically of the Canadian all-star game video, so those are the best of Canadian competition, probably on par with playing EYBL. Guerrier also has a nice 3 point shot and a midrange game. Guerrier, to me, looks like C.J. Fair coming in. He's too good not to play. He's a solid 220 pounds. That's bigger and stronger than most of our front court.

Braswell, with his 3 point ability, is also too good to just rot on the bench again next year. We are too deep at guard for Hughes to play there more than maybe 5 minutes a game, tops. I think it would be best for everyone for Oshae to move on, and go play in Europe.

Like with Paul Harris, there is a player coming in who looks like he might be a better player - in Oshae's case, Guerrier looks like a better offensive player than Oshae, just like Wes Johnson looked like a better player who was going to get some of Paul Harris' time.

Some players don't hang around, when they see they're going to go from playing 38 minutes a game as a frosh, to 32 minutes a game as a soph, to maybe 25 minutes a game as a junior. It's a regression. He's going to get less time, because his offense is limited and his decision making has to get a lot better. He still tries to twist and turn and avoid contact when he finishes near the rim.

Guerrier appears to be stronger, and powers through the defender to get to the rim. Now, of course, that's against HS kids, but I'm thinking specifically of the Canadian all-star game video, so those are the best of Canadian competition, probably on par with playing EYBL. Guerrier also has a nice 3 point shot and a midrange game. Guerrier, to me, looks like C.J. Fair coming in. He's too good not to play. He's a solid 220 pounds. That's bigger and stronger than most of our front court.

Braswell, with his 3 point ability, is also too good to just rot on the bench again next year. We are too deep at guard for Hughes to play there more than maybe 5 minutes a game, tops. I think it would be best for everyone for Oshae to move on, and go play in Europe.

Your post isnt all that responsive to me saying jb isnt kicking oshae to the curb. Also, i could see oshae and quincy playing at the same time.

Your post isnt all that responsive to me saying jb isnt kicking oshae to the curb. Also, i could see oshae and quincy playing at the same time.

I think that's because the decision will be Oshae's to make.
I think it is Boeheim's style to tell people when there will be competition for their spot, and what they have to do to keep it. Then it's up to Oshae.

I don't really see a scenario where Braswell plays big minutes, even with Oshae gone.

Hughes, Guerrier, Dolezaj will all play before he does.

I don't really see a scenario where Braswell plays big minutes, even with Oshae gone.

Big minutes, no, you're probably right.
But if he comes in and lights it up from three a few times, that might change things.

Most people didn't expect Buddy to get the minutes he did in the second half of the season, but he took advantage of his opportunity whereas Jalen Carey did not.

we’re a significantly more challenged team without Oshae if not for rebounding AND drawing fouls alone.

Anyone who thinks we need to push Oshae out the door like Paul is wrong. Not everyone develops by their sophomore year. Kid could be a monster junior or senior. Who are we to not want him back?

Hell, we don’t make the tournament this year without his rebounding and people act like he’s the main reason we lost over 10 games.

Depends on whether Dolezaj plays a heavy preponderance of minutes at the 5. If he does, then it opens up Braswell being the third forward off the bench.

But if Sidibe can give us, say, 20 minutes in the pivot, then Braswell might be edged out.

But then again, maybe he plays 10 or so minutes a game [kind of like sophomore year Southerland] if he can offer some offense. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

we’re a significantly more challenged team without Oshae if not for rebounding AND drawing fouls alone.

Anyone who thinks we need to push Oshae out the door like Paul is wrong. Not everyone develops by their sophomore year. Kid could be a monster junior or senior. Who are we to not want him back?

Hell, we don’t make the tournament this year without his rebounding and people act like he’s the main reason we lost over 10 games.

That may be true. Paul Harris was a monster rebounder for us, too.
How could our team get better by subtracting Jonny Flynn, Devendorf and Paul Harris?
But the result was a team that legitimately could have played against Kentucky in the Final, had Arinze not gotten hurt.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that Guerrier may be better than Brissett already. He's bigger and stronger than any front court player we have, including Brissett.

How could our team get better by subtracting Jonny Flynn, Devendorf and Paul Harris?
But the result was a team that legitimately could have played against Kentucky in the Final, had Arinze not gotten hurt.

I will go out on a limb and suggest that Guerrier may be better than Brissett already. He's bigger and stronger than any front court player we have, including Brissett.
Imo That was a completely different time in our program’s history. We’re entering into a year without even a slight clue of whats happening at center, we don’t have a proven competent ball handler like scoop, we dont have a senior do it all man like Andy and we’d be skipping out on the potential breakout junior oshae performance like sophomore KJo.

This teams young, particularly beefless and unproven.

I think you're mixing the years up. Duke won the year Arinze got injured [Fab suspension was the Kentucky year].

Imo That was a completely different time in our program’s history. We’re entering into a year without even a slight clue of whats happening at center, we don’t have a proven competent ball handler like scoop, we dont have a senior do it all man like Andy and we’d be skipping out on the potential breakout junior oshae performance like sophomore KJo.

This teams young, particularly beefless and unproven.

I agree that our centers are very weak by ACC standards. That's why I was hoping for a grad transfer.
Even if Oshae leaves, it looks like we would offer that transfer kid, who looks like an amazing athlete.

I guess we're going to roll with what we have at center. If Sidibe's health doesn't get a whole lot better, I think we're looking at Marek as playing 20-25 minutes in the post, which is not a good thing defensively.

To bring this back around to the Duruji kid... after today's article from Boeheim about Brissett (indirectly), I'd be shocked if this kid is on our radar at this point. Unless someone is leaving we do not know about.

To bring this back around to the Duruji kid... after today's article from Boeheim about Brissett (indirectly), I'd be shocked if this kid is on our radar at this point. Unless someone is leaving we do not know about.

I took Boeheim's article the other way - to indicate that Oshae was leaning toward not returning, and letting him know he's still welcome if he changes his mind.

I seem to recall something similar with Devendorf, who Boeheim publicly supported - as evidenced by Eric being welcomed back to the team as an assistant of sorts, getting his coaching career started.

But I also recall at the time that Eric was advised that he might want to leave, because he was on double secret probation from the school for off-the-court incidents and would have been kicked out of school if just one more complaint was made against him, and then the year would have been a waste.

As Jake said the other day, I think this is going to be resolved one way or the other fairly quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom