Class of 2021 - SF Benny Williams (MD / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SF Benny Williams (MD / IMG) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, pretty much all Christmas did until his senior year as well lol
I really think that’s his best comp. when we have players like JG3, Griffin, Benny, Dior, Westry, Richmond, Marek and Buddy we don’t need Frank to be a go to offensive threat. Where he will shine is defensively and on the boards. Dude has LONG arms and is a hell of an athlete...all of which help defensively in the zone and rebounding. He’ll be good for us!
i'm so old, i can remember the when the board consensus insisted that we couldn't win when our center was not an offensive threat

although i don't think benny williams has ever believed as such

Newton has made HUGE strides in his game offensively this year. Much better from outside and has a nice little step back. He might suprise some people. I think he has a lot of upside but might have to stick it out until his time comes...that's the hard part is keeping kids from transfering.

Any recap?
Benny has always wanted to go to Syracuse since he came to our Elite Camp. He has heard a lot of things about Boeheim not being able to recruit and JB is just proving them wrong. Benny made it clear that we definitely have some more guys coming, but he can't say who. Later in the interview he talked specifically about Mac and Chance and recruiting them (legacy of the school/coach and ACC is the best conference). Also talked up Chance's ability to shoot and get to the rim.. and that we could definitely use him and the year after. Talks about playing for JB and it being a dream come true. He's been watching him/SU since Jerami and talks about all the guys around his area that have gone to Syracuse. He was asked about making an impact right away at Syracuse, and Benny says that JB/Red both compare him to Jerami and Melo, but Benny says honestly I'm just trying to be myself in the long run. He says if you know me.. no partying.. all hoops. He feels like he would've been ranked in the top 20 easy if they were able to play this summer based on all the work he has put in. But he is not worried about all the individual accolades. He wants to win in his Senior year and get to Syracuse to win a championship. Also was asked about a player he looks to develop into down the line and Benny said Paul George. More on recruiting players.. Benny talks to Coach Red and that they just need pieces. They have him and Frank.. just need another guy. Benny gets asked about the other schools in his final list and what it would've been like to go there (Miami, Maryland, and Georgetown), but he makes it clear it was always Syracuse.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Benny has always wanted to go to Syracuse since he came to our Elite Camp. He has heard a lot of things about Boeheim not being able to recruit and JB is just proving them wrong. Benny made it clear that we definitely have some more guys coming, but he can't say who. Later in the interview he talked specifically about Mac and Chance and recruiting them (legacy of the school/coach and ACC is the best conference). Also talked up Chance's ability to shoot and get to the rim.. and that we could definitely use him and the year after. Talks about playing for JB and it being a dream come true. He's been watching him/SU since Jerami and talks about all the guys around his area that have gone to Syracuse. He was asked about making an impact right away at Syracuse, and Benny says that JB/Red both compare him to Jerami and Melo, but Benny says honestly I'm just trying to be myself in the long run. He says if you know me.. no partying.. all hoops. He feels like he would've been ranked in the top 20 easy if they were able to play this summer based on all the work he has put in. But he is not worried about all the individual accolades. He wants to win in his Senior year and get to Syracuse to win a championship. Also was asked about a player he looks to develop into down the line and Benny said Paul George. More on recruiting players.. Benny talks to Coach Red and that they just need pieces. They have him and Frank.. just need another guy. Benny gets asked about the other schools in his final list and what it would've been like to go there (Miami, Maryland, and Georgetown), but he makes it clear it was always Syracuse.
Just watched it - interesting comment on JB - we all know he doesn’t love recruiting.

benny May have showed his hand with the “more guys coming” then talking about Mac and Westry. Not too much mention of Dior which was surprising. Also no mention of Zion

Look at a lot of these kids committing recently or Chance who hasn’t even committed yet. These kids are ready to come to Cuse years before they even make it. Benny wanted to commit a lot earlier but his dad wanted him to play the process some just like Chance. Dior jumped early, Woody said syracuse was on them the hardest and he like them the most from the jump, etc. it sure does seem like we may be getting our groove back.

Look at a lot of these kids committing recently or Chance who hasn’t even committed yet. These kids are ready to come to Cuse years before they even make it. Benny wanted to commit a lot earlier but his dad wanted him to play the process some just like Chance. Dior jumped early, Woody said syracuse was on them the hardest and he like them the most from the jump, etc. it sure does seem like we may be getting our groove back.

Love getting kids who really want to be here. those are the type of kids who work extra hard and can deal with adversity if things don't go 100% there way early on. Benny seems like an awesome kid with focus on his goals (no partying only hoops). it's also clear that Boeheim is the man and commands respect on the recruiting trail.

Cuse!

lol if there are 49 players better... nope

One of the reasons you can't take rankings too seriously is because they can't take system fit into account. For example, if you were looking to recruit the lead guy on your team, maybe Benny only comes in around 50. But, if you already have a lead dog, say Dior Johnson, I don't think there are more than a handful of players I'd choose over Benny to pair up with him. Kid has a great looking shot, does a lot of things well, and doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to be a huge factor in the game.

One of the reasons you can't take rankings too seriously is because they can't take system fit into account. For example, if you were looking to recruit the lead guy on your team, maybe Benny only comes in around 50. But, if you already have a lead dog, say Dior Johnson, I don't think there are more than a handful of players I'd choose over Benny to pair up with him. Kid has a great looking shot, does a lot of things well, and doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to be a huge factor in the game.
Good thoughts.

“It’s cool to say if I was a Macdonald’s All-American but that’s one game. I’m trying to be a Syracuse legend”

What do you want your legacy to be at Syracuse?

”I’m trying to get a championship. That’s all I’m worried about”

1591735536391.gif

My son's best friend is a teacher and middle school basketball coach at St Andrews Episcopal. Here is his report on Benny:
Real sweet awesome kid, but has a little cocky swagger too. Usually played the 4 for the HS team but he's more of a 3. Could see him playing at the top of the zone. Has great stroke. He's never had to work hard on defense.

My son's best friend is a teacher and middle school basketball coach at St Andrews Episcopal. Here is his report on Benny:
Real sweet awesome kid, but has a little cocky swagger too. Usually played the 4 for the HS team but he's more of a 3. Could see him playing at the top of the zone. Has great stroke. He's never had to work hard on defense.

Good, Syracuse basketball at its best is all about that cocky swagger (DC, Wallace, Melo, Flynn, Waiters, and of course Devo to name a few). Looks like that swagger is coming back in a big way with the likes of Benny and Dior (not to mention the swagger JG3 already has).

Thanks for the post, but what does the last bit mean? That he’s just naturally good at defense, or he was never pushed to be a good defender?

Thanks for the post, but what does the last bit mean? That he’s just naturally good at defense, or he was never pushed to be a good defender?
He was never pushed to be a good defender. I'll probably see my son's friend over the summer. He was going to call Benny about the Cuse commitment. He thought Benny was going to pick Maryland but knew that Cuse was recruiting him aggressively. If he says anything interesting I'll post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.