Class of 2022 - SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Chris Bunch (CA / Wasatch) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that there are two factors that inhibit us going after blue chip caliber recruits.

The first started back in 1991, when we got nailed the first time by the NCAA with sanctions. After that, we implemented a compliance team within the AD, and started following the rules a little more closely. That's why you saw us drop out of the running at the 11th hour for many top rated recruits over the years, most notably Stephon Marbury [who's family made an overt demand for cash], and Anthony Davis [who's father was alleged to have done the same].

Second, JB is old. He just doesn't have the motivation to grind anymore out on the recruiting trail. Most younger coaches recognize that recruiting never sleeps, but JB doesn't operate that way anymore. He prefers to delegate and operate as the closer. That might have worked to a degree when you have an energetic, relentless guy like Mike Hopkins doing the leg work -- but it doesn't seem to work given the composition of the current staff.

Both of these things take us out of the sweepstakes for the elite of the elite. We still land good players -- and often, guys who far outshoot their ratings -- but it is hard to use that methodology and legitimately compete with programs who pull out all the stops for those types of players, and are on them 24/7.
At great risk I want to add a third reason.

Five star recruits probably don’t want to play zone defense. They want to showcase their talent on both sides of the ball.

Not an unreasonable perspective

Santa Barbara > San Diego > Los Angeles
I have a brother living in Burbank, he would disagree very strongly, to each his own, depends on what your looking for.

I agree with you. Our best chance to recruit with JB is a 5-star talent from the NEPSAC (Brewster) or a disgruntled player from the portal. I can see a scenario where Matas Buzelis re-classes and comes to SU next year if Cole Swider or Benny Williams leaves early.
Buzelis is now a top 5 player in his class (per 247 comp) - hard to see a scenario SU beats out blue bloods even with Brewster connections, available playing time aside.

I'm with you on this just adding the countryside of NorCal or down by Monterrey.
My favorite part of California is the central coast. If I could work remote from Carmel I'd be there in a second.

Buzelis is now a top 5 player in his class (per 247 comp) - hard to see a scenario SU beats out blue bloods even with Brewster connections, available playing time aside.
I agree, no shot if he stays ‘23, but as a reclass into the ‘22 class, with an open forward spot alongside Benny, our Brewster connections may give us a shot

We talked all about the 2022 class, Maliq Brown, Chris Bunch on our pod today. Thought you guys might enjoy.
The guy that invented Sweat Block was a professor of mine back in the day. Sensation and Perception, interesting class. I didn't do well, but it was interesting.

For whatever that's worth.

Pearl and Wade cheat everywhere they’ve been. Everyone knows that, but that only explains part of the story.

Those coaches are out on the road constantly(so are others). JB is not as much as they are and he’s old school. Multiple guys we targeted said having a close relationship with their HC was important to them…That’s not JB. It will change when/if Autry takes over.
Autry will never be the coach……like it or not, Gerry McNamara will be your next head coach.

The new coach will be one of the assistants by all anecdotal indications. G Mac seems to be in with most of the new recruits, Red has the Trey factor and Griff the most experience. I would be ok with anyone of the three.

I see it a little differently. I think we can get very good players who are great system fits without cheating, but I don't know if we can get top tier talent -- they have lots of options, and other teams barely conceal the fact that they cheat indiscriminately, because the NCAA has proven to be a toothless sham of an enforcement body. So the risk of getting caught is far outweighed by the reward of doing so. That's why you have Wade, Pearl, and Self bringing in elite talent every year, even though all of them are on the hot seat with the FBI / NCAA scandal.

But I agree with the premise that JB isn't grinding at an appropriate level on the recruiting trail. And I'm not sure that a ~80 year old man would be capable of doing so, anyway.
When was the last time a recruit said he really bonded or clicked with Boeheim? GMac and Autry develop bonds with the recruits. But that is not as effective as a bond with the head coach in getting a commit from them.

I think that there are two factors that inhibit us going after blue chip caliber recruits.

The first started back in 1991, when we got nailed the first time by the NCAA with sanctions. After that, we implemented a compliance team within the AD, and started following the rules a little more closely. That's why you saw us drop out of the running at the 11th hour for many top rated recruits over the years, most notably Stephon Marbury [who's family made an overt demand for cash], and Anthony Davis [who's father was alleged to have done the same].

Second, JB is old. He just doesn't have the motivation to grind anymore out on the recruiting trail. Most younger coaches recognize that recruiting never sleeps, but JB doesn't operate that way anymore. He prefers to delegate and operate as the closer. That might have worked to a degree when you have an energetic, relentless guy like Mike Hopkins doing the leg work -- but it doesn't seem to work given the composition of the current staff.

Both of these things take us out of the sweepstakes for the elite of the elite. We still land good players -- and often, guys who far outshoot their ratings -- but it is hard to use that methodology and legitimately compete with programs who pull out all the stops for those types of players, and are on them 24/7.
Two, yes. Absolutely a reason.

One I’m not buying. Our compliance staff is the same as any other. If this were true, how do you explain our recruitment of Dion Waiters, Carmelo Anthony, Malachi Richardson (McD AA), Fab Melo, Rakeem Christmas, Chris McCullough. All these guys were Top 20-30 guys, with a few in the top 10. And well after 1991.

Do we get the one-and-doners? Not generally. But that is probably due more to number two and Boeheim’s reluctance to even go after them in the first place - i.e. his choice, not compliance. The excuse of past transgressions being a reason why we don’t get top 20-30 players anymore is simply not valid.

Two, yes. Absolutely a reason.

One I’m not buying. Our compliance staff is the same as any other. If this were true, how do you explain our recruitment of Dion Waiters, Carmelo Anthony, Malachi Richardson (McD AA), Fab Melo, Rakeem Christmas, Chris McCullough. All these guys were Top 20-30 guys, with a few in the top 10. And well after 1991.

Do we get the one-and-doners? Not generally. But that is probably due more to number two and Boeheim’s reluctance to even go after them in the first place - i.e. his choice, not compliance. The excuse of past transgressions being a reason why we don’t get top 20-30 players anymore is simply not valid.

What exactly aren't you buying? We implemented ours in 1991 -- decades earlier than many other programs.

Prior to that, we DID get those players -- but that was the late 80s / early 90s. Then, we didn't get them anymore. And the one we landed [Wallace] after that wanted to stay close to home, due to family considerations.

Carmelo you can thank Troy Weaver for. But not only was that was 19 years ago, let's acknowledge that when we got Carmelo's verbal, he wasn't a top 10 recruit -- that's where he ended up, but it wasn't where he was when we landed him.

Dion was a pretty good recruit. But I think people get blinded by him going #4 in the draft, taking that to mean that he was that highly rated, which he wasn't.

It isn't an "excuse" -- we aren't landing those players anymore, because we haven't played the cheating game for 30+ years. We absolutely, 100% have walked away from certain recruitments when things get squirrely. Whether you choose to believe that or not is up to you.

Last edited:
People need to do their homework before commenting. I almost fell off my chair when I read that GMac gets most of the recruits. You need to look at some facts. After Hopkins, Autry has been by far the most successful recruiter at Syracuse the last decade. And it is not even close. Name one great recruit that GMac has brought to Syracuse. Just one. The best I can tell is Sidibhe, and he was no way close to a great recuit. Look at Autry's history. Jerami Grant. Chris McCullough. Marek Dolezaj. Michael Gbinije. Tyler Ennis Oshae Brissett. Tyrus Battle. And I am missing quite a few. Lets not forget to mention that Benny Williams was also recruited by Autry Every good or great player to come out of Syracuse has come from either one of those two assistants. This is not opinion. This is just fact.

People need to do their homework before commenting. I almost fell off my chair when I read that GMac gets most of the recruits. You need to look at some facts. After Hopkins, Autry has been by far the most successful recruiter at Syracuse the last decade. And it is not even close. Name one great recruit that GMac has brought to Syracuse. Just one. The best I can tell is Sidibhe, and he was no way close to a great recuit. Look at Autry's history. Jerami Grant. Chris McCullough. Marek Dolezaj. Michael Gbinije. Tyler Ennis Oshae Brissett. Tyrus Battle. And I am missing quite a few. Lets not forget to mention that Benny Williams was also recruited by Autry Every good or great player to come out of Syracuse has come from either one of those two assistants. This is not opinion. This is just fact.
If you are talking about me I never said he recruited any of the newbies I said that many mentioned him by name as helping them. That’s what I mean when I said he seemed to be in with them.

Pretty sure Ennis and Battle were Hop recruits, but yes Autry has brought in some talent for sure.

OK, so do I lock this thread and everyone has to search the internet for Chris Bunch info?

Or do we talk about Chris Bunch now?

Take all the other stuff to the main board. Fair warning.
32 hours until the announcement. Hopefully Bunch is Orange. I'm glad Cuse was able to wrap up the recruiting pretty early on with none of these guys going into the Spring. Now we work on 2023 guys and then when the season ends we hit up the portal to fill any holes from guys leaving early. Let's go University of Syracuse!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom