Class of 2022 - SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SF Kamari Lands (IN / HillcrestAZ) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB learned a lot from many Big East coaches.Lil Louie was the zone teacher. JB started using the Zone when teams were passing the ball in underneath their own basket. The man defense allowed a pick to get a layup on the opposite side from the throw in. His use of the zone progressed from there to 100%.
Carnesseca was strictly man-to-man. Rollie Massimino did some zone.The 3 biggest zone proponents through the '80's and into the '90's were Heathcote, Chaney, and Tarkanian (with the "Ameoba").

JB learned a lot from many Big East coaches.Lil Louie was the zone teacher. JB started using the Zone when teams were passing the ball in underneath their own basket. The man defense allowed a pick to get a layup on the opposite side from the throw in. His use of the zone progressed from there to 100%.
Louie's team played almost all man to man. I saw them play.

We've been a zone team since the Roy's Runts era. We played both when we got the athletes to do it until the Lemoyne game on 2009, when JB decided to go all zone, with variations.
I know we played both. But playing it and being "a zone team" are not the same thing. In the game I posted, UConn plays zone too. Nobody ever called them a zone team.

We stopped using man except for emergency situations prior to Lemoyne in 2009. I remember Flynn being quoted in preseason interviews that he tried to convince JB to play man the previous year. It was our primary defense during the 2003 NC run. JB played man against Lemoyne preseason 2009 to make a point.

The evolution from the man heavy teams of the 80's to the zone team we are now seemed to start during the '96 run and evolved until it really took hold in the early 2000's. If we were primarily a zone team in the '70's, I'll have to take your word for it. I grew up watching the '80's and early 90's teams.

Last edited:
I know we played both. But playing it and being "a zone team" are not the same thing. In the game I posted, UConn plays zone too. Nobody ever called them a zone team.

We stopped using man except for emergency situations prior to Lemoyne in 2009. I remember Flynn being quoted in preseason interviews that he tried to convince JB to play man the previous year. It was our primary defense during the 2003 NC run. JB played man against Lemoyne preseason 2009 to make a point.

The evolution from the man heavy teams of the 80's to the zone team we are now seemed to start during the '96 run and evolved until it really took hold in the early 2000's. If we were primarily a zone team in the '70's, I'll have to take your word for it. I grew up watching the '80's and early 90's teams.
The least we played zone in the JB era was in the late 1970s. We pressed quite a bit (I think that was influenced by Pitino) and with Eddie Moss and Rosie Bouie both outstanding man defenders, we played a fair amount of man from time to time.

Once Rosie and Fast Eddie graduated, we rarely played man until it was eliminated almost entirely circa 2009.

We have never been a heavy man defense in the JB era (or the Danforth era for that matter). Though I didn’t see the Danforth teams play before 1972.

Kamari was a Marvin Harrison fan as a kid growing up in Indy.

1D8E2E68-1B19-44FE-B5B3-914798B06CA0.jpeg

The least we played zone in the JB era was in the late 1970s. We pressed quite a bit (I think that was influenced by Pitino) and with Eddie Moss and Rosie Bouie both outstanding man defenders, we played a fair amount of man from time to time.

Once Rosie and Fast Eddie graduated, we rarely played man until it was eliminated almost entirely circa 2009.

We have never been a heavy man defense in the JB era (or the Danforth era for that matter). Though I didn’t see the Danforth teams play before 1972.
Ok. I stand corrected then.

Why do we have so many posters who try to train wreck a subject (like Lands) by posting crap that has nothing to do with a subject (like Lands)?
Start a new post regarding the crap you want to post!
Jesse!

"Your guy"? Cringeworthy
Give it up. Please.

It's one thing to create content or contact recruits/players in a negative sense.

It's quite another to do it positively, with absolutely no negativity whatsoever.

It is the way things have been in recruiting for any number of years now, and SU's fan base is in the lower half of major college programs when it comes to this stuff.

Give it up. Please.

It's one thing to create content or contact recruits/players in a negative sense.

It's quite another to do it positively, with absolutely no negativity whatsoever.

It is the way things have been in recruiting for any number of years now, and SU's fan base is in the lower half of major college programs when it comes to this stuff.
Doesn't make it not weird. The kid's 16. Be excited about him coming here all you want but he's not "your guy".

Doesn't make it not weird. The kid's 16. Be excited about him coming here all you want but he's not "your guy".
Who cares if it's weird? He's not doing anything wrong. And is trying to help the program, while in no way is he hurting the program. Don't need to put the person on blast.

And for the record, this person who is posting could be 19 for all you know.

Welcome to officially being old. Those of us north of 35 are out of touch. This is something you see all over with coaches and friends and fans on Twitter. It's quite common. I'm not saying you will find me echoing it but your take here is more like come sit with the rest of us at the "not that far from annual colonoscopy table".

And before you try the speak for yourself comment.. self assess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom