Class of 2017 - SF Nahziah Carter to Washington | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Nahziah Carter to Washington

Just a thought... would offering Nahz in 2017 help us land Jeenathan in 2018? Are the two friends? I don't think it's a waste of a scholarship either because the guy is a solid 3 star prospect, with an evolving game. I know he's not the PG we want, but EA doesn't appear to be reclassifying. Even Tucker is a coin flip. Also, isn't Nahz a relative of some big rapper? Could this also help with recruiting especially if he'd perform at Orange Madness?

I'm not saying I'm sold Nahz is the solution, he might not be. But there are intangibles to consider with him.
Supposedly Jay-z is his uncle. So one of the biggest rappers ever with a net worth of half a billion.

Supposedly Jay-z is his uncle. So one of the biggest rappers ever with a net worth of half a billion.

This might sound silly to some of the older posters, but a connection with Jay-Z could give Syracuse additional marketing, exposure and appeal to some of these recruits. Imagine Jay-Z rapping at his next concert with a 'Cuse jersey on. The potential benefits outweigh the risks here, especially since the kid can play ball. It could make for a mutually beneficial relationship. Nahz gets an opportunity to have exposure playing in the ACC in front of a Dome crowd in return. Win-win.

Last edited:
This might sound silly to some of the older posters, but a connection with Jay-Z could give Syracuse additional marketing, exposure and appeal to some of these recruits. Imagine Jay-Z rapping at his next concert with a 'Cuse jersey on. The potential benefits outweigh the risks here, especially since the kid can play ball. It could make for a mutually beneficial relationship. Nahz gets an opportunity to have exposure playing in the ACC in front of a Dome crowd in return. Win-win.
That Jay-Z Nets thing didn't work out so well.

It's his nephew. I'd put the over/under on games Jay-Z attends at the dome in 4 years at 3.

It's just an opinion, nothing more, nothing less, but just the thought of having Jay-Z wear a Syracuse jersey in a video is reason enough to bring him in. It's not like Nahz is an unrated prospect. He's a 3star kid whose game appears to be evolving. The marketing wouldn't hurt.

It didn't help the Nets because they weren't recruiting kids in high school. Money is the motivating factor in the NBA.

Don't know how much credence to give this article but it hints the Cuse might offer Nahz if Tucker doesn't sign with SU.

Weekend Hoops Recruiting Roundup | Otto's Grove

I agree. I'm certainly not a coach , but I'm having a difficult time understanding this type of recruiting strategy. i just feel that In addition to depth , offering multiple players at the same positiom helps to eliminate the all eggs in one basket. More importantly , to a degree, wouldn't it put pressure on players to make a decision faster ? Create a sense of urgency.
And yet in the Tucker thread, you guys talk about how Georgia Tech and Oregon already have guys who play his position and why that gives us the edge.

You would.

Want to wager?

Listen, it's cool that he's jayz's nephew but it means literally nothing. I'm not a billionaire music producer and nearly as busy as JayZ but it's difficult for me to see my nieces and nephews, I can't imagine his time constraints. He has a wife, multiple kids, many businesses, and a social life people dream of. He isn't going to be hanging at the dome with a dome dog and a bud light in his hand. I'd be shocked if he ever shows up, maybe senior night but I just don't see this as a selling point to go after the kid.

If he wants to come, then take him. I guess we will wait on Tucker though. Who could be here any time he wants. I have been one to trust the process, but this one annoys me. Offer Nahz. I'm all for guys like HW, and Carter if he wants to come. Tucker can only kick the can for so long. This wouldn't be a wasted scholarship either. We can actually develop a team. Like the teams that win it all.

I would rather take a risk on Carter. A really athletic kid that can get to the rim. He can work on his shot and improve to some degree. Especially if his athleticism gives him the space to shoot. I'll take him, Tucker and a 5th year guard (Thorpe) or Ayala (probably isn't happening). If we get Tucker he can contribute right away and I think we will get good contributions from Brissett next year. Include Thompson and Battle and I'm not that worried about next years team being a dumpster fire. I would rather take a kid like Carter and develop him than take a good shooting wing as a grad transfer.

Oh, thanks, knew it was soon. Didn't know we had a firm date.

Just got posted a few minutes ago. Supposedly Tucker will take that visit and then decide.

-d7776337874ab515.jpg

I would rather take a risk on Carter. A really athletic kid that can get to the rim. He can work on his shot and improve to some degree. Especially if his athleticism gives him the space to shoot. I'll take him, Tucker and a 5th year guard (Thorpe) or Ayala (probably isn't happening). If we get Tucker he can contribute right away and I think we will get good contributions from Brissett next year. Include Thompson and Battle and I'm not that worried about next years team being a dumpster fire. I would rather take a kid like Carter and develop him than take a good shooting wing as a grad transfer.

With 13 scholarships, you do this, no doubt. It is a slam dunk. But with the reduced scholarships, you just can't take these kinds of chances. I think the kid will end up being a very good player, but without the leeway the extra scholarships give you, you can't afford to take a chance on him. I don't think you will get anything from this kid next year, and that is what you need with whoever you take.

With 13 scholarships, you do this, no doubt. It is a slam dunk. But with the reduced scholarships, you just can't take these kinds of chances. I think the kid will end up being a very good player, but without the leeway the extra scholarships give you, you can't afford to take a chance on him. I don't think you will get anything from this kid next year, and that is what you need with whoever you take.
What do you suggest if Tucker chooses GaTech tomorrow? No sarcasm intended. We need another SF.

What do you suggest if Tucker chooses GaTech tomorrow? No sarcasm intended. We need another SF.

Yes but Tucker should decide by the end of the week. If he goes to G-Tech then we can likely get Carter. Also in the Wright thread there was some buzz about him possibly going to college as part of the 2017 class. So that may be something that the staff is also pursuing.

Jay-Z ft. Jadakiss would produce the best Syracuse related song, ever. Easily blowing away Cuse Yourself.