Class of 2018 - SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH) | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many players still don't want to play all zone and Hop was offering exciting stylistic changes (see Ennis reassuring Quinerly and such)

Yeah...this is nonsense. Who are those many players? Quinerly and Naz Reid? 2 kids?

JB runs practice - 2 hours per day - every single time

Hopkins was running practice until he left. Drills, conditioning, instruction all the way up to scrimmage when Boehiem would start coaching.

And by the way, this was not a bad thing IMO. Boehiem doesn't micromanage and gives his coaches the freedom to do a lot.

Last edited:
True or False - Is the program headed in the right direction? Remains to be seen

True or False - Those who responded to the post really know what they are talking about. True

True or False - The program turned for the better on March 19th 2017. Remains to be seen.

True or False - Today, August 11th 2017, Syracuse University would be better off having Hopkins as the HC instead of JB. Unprovable.

True or False - Today, August 11th 2017, Syracuse University new Athletic Director now has the opportunity & time to plan for the post JB era without noise? True

True or False - The future is bright for Mike Hopkins, but he needs experience and IF things did not go well year 1 and/or 2 it would have been bad for everyone including MH. Unknown. He may have gotten more leeway here.

True or False - After a thorough employee review by his superiors, considering all areas of performance, it is ABSOLUTE that JB deserves to retire on his own terms (so long as he continues to perform his duties as he has since 1976 as HC). False. You just gave us a conditional absolute. It's one or the other.

True or False - A large % of SU fans like, love and appreciate everything Mike did for Syracuse University since the fall of 1989. True

True or False - The future was looking dandy especially regarding future recruit engagements as of March 18th 2017. False

True or False - If we had to start a head coach search today, SU would require the new HC have some head coaching experience. Unknown. SU just hired an AD with no AD experience.

True or False - Between March 18th 2015 and March 19th 2017 our path for the future, let alone future success was crystal clear. False

True or False - Mike's win loss % as a head coach is below 500. False. He was an interim coach, not the head coach.

True or False - Mike has been a head coach for more than 10 games in his career? False

True or False - I do not care what ya all have to say, this post is based on the facts, not your bs. False. Much of it is based upon opinion and conjecture.

Hey Uncle Leo - ya all are wrong, you think you know it all and you don't, but enjoy your ratings on the Syracuse Basketball Board. Make us proud!

In HOF JB WE TRUST - Thank you JB

Yeah...this is nonsense. Who are those many players? Quinerly and Naz Reid? 2 kids?

Nonsense? Just because someone won't go on the record and be quoted? It's a fact coaches negative recruit because of it. That doesn't do us any favors and I don't care how many NBA players SU are putting into league. It doesn't matter if you are hovering around the bubble realm.

It's like the FDA. We know they are crooks, frauds, and take handouts/bribes. But, how many important people actually go on the record and say something. Obviously two different animals and the zone isn't necessarily a bad thing but having that perception/negative recruiting still out there is problematic, IMO.

Nonsense? Just because someone won't go on the record and be quoted? It's a fact coaches negative recruit because of it. That doesn't do us any favors and I don't care how many NBA players SU are putting into league. It doesn't matter if you are hovering around the bubble realm.

It's like the FDA. We know they are crooks, frauds, and take handouts/bribes. But, how many important people actually go on the record and say something. Obviously two different animals and the zone isn't necessarily a bad thing but having that perception/negative recruiting still out there is problematic, IMO.

You responded. That's on you.

True or False - Is the program headed in the right direction? Remains to be seen / ok, i am going to come back to this one in 60 days, let's discuss it again after we sign 3 kids, of which one is not even on the recruiting board,
That's correct, we are very close to signing someone who is NOT listed on our board.

Marvin Bagley?

Exactly. Thank you. You have nothing to point to that proves or even suggests there are MANY or ANY kids that don't want to play at Syracuse because we play zone. Syracuse has recruited better playing 100% zone than they did playing man to man. The NBA kids we are putting out show this, in addition to the McDonald's All Americans and on court success. If kids were picking Butler, Dayton or Xavier over Syracuse, and kids were actually saying it, you'd have something. If we picked up Green and Tucker, this wouldnt even be a topic of discussion. They didn't not come to Syracuse because we play zone. The fact we were finalists for both proves this false. They picked elite programs over Syracuse. I don't know where you come up with this nonsense. Bazely didn't have an issue with it. Obviously Jalen Carey doesn't. Tyus Battle doesn't. How are we getting all these quality kids to come to Syracuse playing all that zone? Other coaches can negative recruit all they want. They can't say we don't win (FF's) or send kids to the NBA, right? It sounds like the negative recruiting was centered around the uncertainty at Syracuse. Like Boehiem is going to retire, or he won't retire. At least according to Boeheim.

Last edited:
True. I just can't handle the lunacy. That guy will take bubble years every season just because we get a miracle F4 run in every so often and get projects into the NBA every season.

What lunacy? Back up your crazy argument with something. Anything. Years and years of great recruiting are on my side.

And who says I'll take bubble seasons? I'm not happy with it, but I have some perspective. Even great programs have down seasons, especially when placed on probation. And I'll take Final Fours in the greatest conference ever over 30 win seasons in a weak conference and flame out in the NCAA's with NBA talent (see your Arizona Wildcats).

Let's not pretend the Final Fours didn't happen. While the last FF run was highly unlikely, that kind of proves how much of an advantage our Zone is, especially in the NCAA's! The 2012 team was pretty good, and not a miracle run by any means. That zone was fantastic in the NCAA's.

SU Dreaming

Just to be clear:
Are you saying SU will take 4 players, including Buddy, or is Buddy the third.

Also, for credibility purposes, is this mystery man American or foreign? If foreign, where is he from? Is he a Guard Forward or Center and approximately where is he rated?

Thanks in advance

Syracuse has recruited better playing 100% zone than they did playing man to man...
They didn't not come to Syracuse because we play zone. The fact we were finalists for both proves this false...
Bazely didn't have an issue with it. Obviously Jalen Carey doesn't. Tyus Battle doesn't. How are we getting all these quality kids to come to Syracuse playing all that zone?

[I'm not even following along in this thread and that ridic post above, and i don't know on which side of that argument you're on, so this is all indenpendent of that.]

Sorry, man, but No.

Pearl, DC, Billy O.
--------------
Bazeley, Carey, Battle.

I would not call the second line "better" than the first.

Secondly, the fact that we were 'runner up' doesn't prove anything false. Runner up means there was one or more factors that weren't in our favor. How do you know what those factors were? How do you know that years of playing zone and not getting other recruits, leading to our slippage in status didn't contribute to us not having a more favorable 'rating' in that kid's head? How do you know that years of having "zone team" drilled into the television audience's head did not put off a great number of kids who simply did not adopt us as a favorite team because of that? There is no proof either way. Just because a kid doesn't say "i don't want to play there because of zone" doesn't mean that isn't a contributing factor, even wayyyy before he makes a list of potential schools. Even being an 'elite' program historically, it is a bit odd to not see our name on the lists of most of the top 20 kids anymore, when we used to be there. IMO, two factors are responsible — slippage, and being branded as a slow, zone team.

We are getting quality kids for a package of reasons:
• Dome. 30k+.
• History/reputation/legacy.
• Constant reinforcement to tv audiences that we have a "hall of fame coach."
• We've played in the two best conferences.
• We've had big moments on big stages.
• We've had fierce rivalries.
• We used to be known as a 'showtime'/flash team.
• Melo.

All of that, and more, can sometimes drown out the whining/negative recruiting about the zone. But, still, we're not playing in the recruiting sandbox with the top 20 kids on any sort of a consistent basis. We're not thrilled to get 'fringe' top 25 kids. That is a major change.

I meant spreading potential and most likely false narratives on all fronts. Yes, Darius, it's all good!
What is the argument here? I think we are right on where we are in recruiting. The sanctions are diminishing and it sure looks like our coaches are hitting the road hard. We will miss some kids because we play zone. But we probably would have missed on those kids for other reasons. Playing zone doesn't hurt us in recruiting. There are plenty of good kids that we can get that will play zone for us.

[I'm not even following along in this thread and that ridic post above, and i don't know on which side of that argument you're on, so this is all indenpendent of that.]

Sorry, man, but No.

Pearl, DC, Billy O.
--------------
Bazeley, Carey, Battle.

Secondly, the fact that we were 'runner up' doesn't prove anything false. Runner up means there was one or more factors that weren't in our favor. How do you know what those factors were? How do you know that years of playing zone and not getting other recruits, leading to our slippage in status didn't contribute to us not having a more favorable 'rating' in that kid's head? How do you know that years of having "zone team" drilled into the television audience's head did not put off a great number of kids who simply did not adopt us as a favorite team because of that? There is no proof either way. Just because a kid doesn't say "i don't want to play there because of zone" doesn't mean that isn't a contributing factor, even wayyyy before he makes a list of potential schools. Even being an 'elite' program historically, it is a bit odd to not see our name on the lists of most of the top 20 kids anymore, when we used to be there. IMO, two factors are responsible — slippage, and being branded as a slow, zone team.

• Dome. 30k+.
• Melo.

All of that, and more, can sometimes drown out the whining/negative recruiting about the zone. But, still, we're not playing in the recruiting sandbox with the top 20 kids on any sort of a consistent basis. We're not thrilled to get 'fringe' top 25 kids. That is a major change.
We didn't recruit those guys in one year. Bazley and Carey would be in one year. And we could wait to see just how good they are before we compare them to anyone.

Sorry, man, but No.

Pearl, DC, Billy O.

Thank you. 3 kids.

Since playing all zone: Carmelo, Devendorf, Donte Greene, Paul Harris, Fab Melo, MCW, Rak, Dejuan Coleman, Waiters, Flynn, McCullough, Malachi Richardson, Ennis. 13 kids top 25 or McDonalds AA.

That's better.

We've NEVER gotten top 5-10 kids. When we did, it was the exception.

--------------
Bazeley, Carey, Battle.

Secondly, the fact that we were 'runner up' doesn't prove anything false.

Sure it does. Both Quade and Tucker were Syracuse bound until KY and Duke pulled out all the stops. Both had no problem coming to Syracuse because of the zone. Throw in Anthony Davis, Dakari Johnson, and Nerlens Noel as well. Sometimes we just get beat by better programs for kids.

Runner up means there was one or more factors that weren't in our favor. How do you know what those factors were? How do you know that years of playing zone and not getting other recruits, leading to our slippage in status didn't contribute to us not having a more favorable 'rating' in that kid's head? How do you know that years of having "zone team" drilled into the television audience's head did not put off a great number of kids who simply did not adopt us as a favorite team because of that? There is no proof either way.

How do you know playing all zone is a negative factor at all? Right? It's silly. the fact we recruit at a high level despite playing all zone tells me it's not even close to a factor. Our zone may be the reason we recruit so well!

Just because a kid doesn't say "i don't want to play there because of zone" doesn't mean that isn't a contributing factor, even wayyyy before he makes a list of potential schools. Even being an 'elite' program historically, it is a bit odd to not see our name on the lists of most of the top 20 kids anymore, when we used to be there. IMO, two factors are responsible — slippage, and being branded as a slow, zone team.

Yeah how about NCAA sanctions and uncertainty over the program? I'll go with Boeheim over you.

• Dome. 30k+.
• Melo.

And all that winning.

Sure we are. We always have been. top 25 kids are 5 star kids, and that has been way more frequent over the last 40 years than top 10 kids. We ain't Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or UNC.

You might want to readjust your expectations

Last edited:
SU Dreaming

Just to be clear:
Are you saying SU will take 4 players, including Buddy, or is Buddy the third.

Also, for credibility purposes, is this mystery man American or foreign? If foreign, where is he from? Is he a Guard Forward or Center and approximately where is he rated?

Thanks in advance

If we all goes according to plan, 3 players plus Buddy (assuming Buddy is coming to SU, not signed sealed and delivered yet) for 18, if Buddy is not coming I do not know if we add another kid, there are guys out there we all thought we were going for, still think we are going after and we are not, the recruit I refer to whom is not on our board is 2019, by end of Aug his name will be on the board.

If we all goes according to plan, 3 players plus Buddy for 18, there are guys out there we all thought we were going for and we are not, the recruit I refer to whom is not on our board is 2019, by end of Aug his name will be on the board
Dors he speak French?

If we all goes according to plan, 3 players plus Buddy (assuming Buddy is coming to SU, not signed sealed and delivered yet) for 18, if Buddy is not coming I do not know if we add another kid, there are guys out there we all thought we were going for, still think we are going after and we are not, the recruit I refer to whom is not on our board is 2019, by end of Aug his name will be on the board.
Trying to flip LaMelo Ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseAlum07

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors