Class of 2018 - SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH) | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Darius Bazley (OH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does signing Bazely signing impact Shittu? Both are PF but I have seen sites that list Bazely as a SF. From the film I've seen on Bazely, he looks much more like a 4 than a 3. I'd prefer the focus be on PG and SG. Thoughts?

Good lord
raEEZn.gif
That clip reminds me of Melo's jam in the 03' title game against Kansas.

How does signing Bazely signing impact Shittu? Both are PF but I have seen sites that list Bazely as a SF. From the film I've seen on Bazely, he looks much more like a 4 than a 3. I'd prefer the focus be on PG and SG. Thoughts?
Baz is more 3 than 4 (straight 3 in nba) tho will play both - shittu is 4/5... tho doesn't sound like we're really in on shittu anymore anyway

I know the #'s don't support this, but here in Ct., and in the prep world, people say that Hughes is a great shooter. I know that Jb thinks so as well. We are right in the game with Carey.
I'm extremely psyched about this commitment. Baze is a versatile talent and (to me) looks like he could play either SF or PF for us. At 6'9", he moves like a Jordon/MD level player. He'll be perfect in the zone on either side -- athletic, smooth, can score at all 3 levels and (it looks like from the clips) will also be a rim protector. This news couldn't have come at a better time. And now that it's July, no more silly restrictions and we can go full bore on a PG and a shooter (or big) to round out this class.

Last edited:
Looks like a terrific player for our system. Best recruiting news in over a year. He kind of reminds me a CJ Fair combined with Jerami Grant. He's going to be a good one for us. He has very good ball handling skills.

Unreal. Right after I post, he commits. I didn't check in after that, and wake up to this awesome news. I'm feeling healthier than ever. Thank you Baze, and welcome to the Cuse. Man, that frontcourt is loaded.

Try posting on the Jahvon Quinerly thread and let's see what happens.

Try posting on the Jahvon Quinerly thread and let's see what happens.

I'm gonna save that for Carey. Maybe I have three wishes. Not sure who I pick for number 3, but definitely a shooter that can play the 3. Or I could go for the more wishes wish. 2019 is an option too. Cole Anthony, possibly.

Holy crap. I'm super late to this news. Thought i could take a break from the recruiting side for a while.
Good thing the staff didn't feel the same way.

Very cool.

Just finished the last 10 pages... Yeah, as noted above, he reminds me of Odom, DC1, a goofy-less Henson, and Brandon Ingram. I'll take the sum total or a composite — either way. Let's now get him someone to feed him the ball.

Last edited:
There's definitely a little Melo in there. Definitely has that one-on-one ability. I can't tell you how excited I am about this one. Most I've been excited about a recruit in a while.

There's definitely a little Melo in there. Definitely has that one-on-one ability. I can't tell you how excited I am about this one. Most I've been excited about a recruit in a while.

With the way our offense is ran he is the perfect guy for us. Could be our first 20-10 guy in a long time.

To address your question, it looks like (from the tapes) that Bazley can play 3 or 4. If he plays the 3, he has the slashing ability to get to the basket. He would need to work some on improving his shooting threes and some on building up his strength. That said, this would hold for any one on our team playing SF.

Regarding Simi Shittu (who I want as bad as Darius and Cole Swider (oh well)), I have not heard much about Syracuse concentrating on him. Now that could be they were trying to go strong after Darius Bazley who show more of an interest in Playing for Syracuse. Perhaps, our Activity has not yet heated up for Simi. I hope that he comes on aboard also.

Point Guard is our major concern. We need a real good PG to commit and so far, Jalen Carey is the only one on our radar. Howard and Washington may be able accommodate our needs for the next two years but with Howard's previous play demonstrated and Washington's yet to be seen skill set, there are still several questions to be answered. That is why a prospect like Carey is what we re looking at.

Regarding SG, we have Hughes for 2018 and believe that Buddy Boeheim will/may be coming in 2018. This combination if realized, should be sufficient to handle the 2G position for at least 2018 if Battle leaves as suspected next year.

Last edited:
Point Guard is our major concern. We need a real good PG to commit and so far, Jalen Carey is the only one on our radar.

Not true. If you go to the recruiting forum, you will see that the staff has shown interest in David Duke & Jalen Lecque. Lecque is a '19 at the moment, but did move back from '18 & might be convinced to make a move back, if it is the right situation for him.

I think Duke was originally the back up plan, but recently Lecque may have moved ahead, as he has had a good summer.

Not true. If you go to the recruiting forum, you will see that the staff has shown interest in David Duke & Jalen Lecque. Lecque is a '19 at the moment, but did move back from '18 & might be convinced to make such a move, if it is the right situation for him.
David Duke is a combo guard who plays some PG. While I would not be unhappy if he played for SU, I would be a little concerned if he showed similar tendencies as the last 6'5" recruit that has/is played/playing point guard for Syracuse.

That said, I have not seen David Duke play in a game.

I'm gonna save that for Carey. Maybe I have three wishes. Not sure who I pick for number 3, but definitely a shooter that can play the 3. Or I could go for the more wishes wish. 2019 is an option too. Cole Anthony, possibly.
Watch Ayala is gonna jump in now undermining Carey

Elijah Hughes?

You saw this, right? He shot 27% from three and hardly tore it up at East Carolina.

Why is Syracuse basketball interested in East Carolina transfer Elijah Hughes?

I'm hopeful that every kid contributes, but too many of them haven't been able to these past few seasons.

Frank is not a shooter. Battle is a very good guard, but not a "pure" outside shooter; he's more of a guy who is at his best attacking the rim.

Washington may turn out to be a shooter, we just don't know. Brissett has a decent chance, as does Marek. Both of those guys could turn into shooters. IMO, compared to last year, certainly, and compared to our teams this decade, this team has less shooting and could use some more.

And we do not currently have an "answer" at PG. We have questions.

To address your question, it looks like (from the tapes) that Bazley can play 3 or 4. If he plays the 3, he has the slashing ability to get to the basket. He would need to work some on improving his shooting threes and some on building up his strength. That said, this would hold for any one on our team playing SF.

Regarding Simi Shittu (who I want as bad as Darius and Cole Swider (oh well)), I have not heard much about Syracuse concentrating on him. Now that could be they were trying to go strong after Darius Bazley who show more of an interest in Playing for Syracuse. Perhaps, our Activity has not yet heated up for Simi. I hope that he comes on aboard also.

Point Guard is our major concern. We need a real good PG to commit and so far, Jalen Carey is the only one on our radar. Howard and Washington may be able accommodate our needs for the next two years but with Howard's previous play demonstrated and Washington's yet to be seen skill set, there are still several questions to be answered. That is why a prospect like Carey is what we re looking at.

Regarding SG, we have Hughes for 2018 and believe that Buddy Boeheim will/may be coming in 2018. This combination if realized, should be sufficient to handle the 2G position for at least 2018 if Battle leaves as suspected next year.

Bazley's game, to me, looks like he's more of a 4 than a 3. We need to have one of our forwards be able to make 3 point shots somewhat consistently, or else our offense is in a world of trouble. That's how it's always been. We need one of our forwards to be an outside threat to open up the floor for the drivers.

Brissett may turn out to be that guy. I haven't seen enough of him, but if you're the player of the year in Canada, you have to be pretty good. Certainly a Top 50 caliber kid. The two of them with Marek as the 3rd forward could be very good in a couple years, if we can hang on to them all until they're actually good. LOL

You're right, we really need Carey, and I think we need one more quality shooter, which I guess is Buddy, but I'd like a guy who we could count on to be a starter by year 2, if not right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom