Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

This opinion was agreed to extensively by most of the board that followed closely.

Notice how Golden quickly became one of the quickest recruiting “let downs” to never be heard of again.
I never said he was a let down. I just never thought he was a fit from the beginning. He seemed perfect for Pitt's old style of play, but that's not the type of player Syracuse recruits. We are more finesse ala Braswell, they were more of the bruising / physical type, ala Golden. Braswell wouldn't fit their style just like Golden probably wouldn't fit ours.

I never said he was a let down. I just never thought he was a fit from the beginning. He seemed perfect for Pitt's old style of play, but that's not the type of player Syracuse recruits. We are more finesse ala Braswell, they were more of the bruising / physical type, ala Golden. Braswell wouldn't fit their style just like Golden probably wouldn't fit ours.

Why does your post list your age??

I’ve heard that one so many times. It usually doesn’t happen. It’s usually 7.

My money is on 8 this year, however.

8.5 some games big boy will see more time, others BB will

Tyus
Frank
Pascal
Elijah
Oshae
Marek
Jalen
Buddy
Bourama

Cant argue that.

8.5 some games big boy will see more time, others BB will

Tyus
Frank
Pascal
Elijah
Oshae
Marek
Jalen
Buddy
Bourama

I can’t see Buddy getting time. Battle won’t come out much. Howard will play a lot and if Carey is as advertised he’ll get good time off the bench. Plus even if Hughes gets time at the 3, he’d seem to be in line for any spare guard minutes before Buddy.

Are
Will Buddy and Braswell be lumped into the same category? Better than expected but too little minutes available for meaningful play/contribution. We will see by December.

I don't know but my guess is yes. I mean, I have no idea how Buddy sees the floor when you consider that even if Battle was out for a few games with an injury or whatnot, they could shift Hughes to the 2 (theoretically) and slide Dolezaj in at one of the wing spots.

To be honest, the guy who I'd say has the most to gain or lose in the pre-conference, in my opinion, is Howard Washington. Can he prove he can play well enough to get some minutes in the guard rotation that at this point is likely to be something like Battle for 35, Howard for 30 and Carey for 15 (or something like that)? I'm guessing no, but maybe.

I’ve heard that one so many times. It usually doesn’t happen. It’s usually 7.

My money is on 8 this year, however.

It all depends on whether you count the WHOLE season, or just the stretch run.

I can’t see Buddy getting time. Battle won’t come out much. Howard will play a lot and if Carey is as advertised he’ll get good time off the bench. Plus even if Hughes gets time at the 3, he’d seem to be in line for any spare guard minutes before Buddy.

Well, last year Frank, Battle and Brissett all only shot 32-33% from three. So unless that number gets a lot better this year, then I expect Buddy and Braswell and Hughes to get their chances to do better. People are going to zone this team this year. Somebody's going to have to be able to make threes dependably. We didn't have that last year; just volume shooters who were streaky.

Well, last year Frank, Battle and Brissett all only shot 32-33% from three. So unless that number gets a lot better this year, then I expect Buddy and Braswell and Hughes to get their chances to do better. People are going to zone this team this year. Somebody's going to have to be able to make threes dependably. We didn't have that last year; just volume shooters who were streaky.

That's if you assume nobody improves which I highly doubt will be the case.

Just a few things on the surface...

6 contributors(5 starters) returning plus a high level recruit plus a highly touted transfer...that’s 8.

Boeheim rarely goes beyond 8.

Freshmen shooters rarely come in and shoot good. And even if they do, it’s tough for them to bring more to the table overall than more experienced guys(which our 6 returners plus Hughes are). Rautins, Nichols, Southerland, Shumpert...none of these guys were ready as freshmen.

If Buddy is going to play it would seemingly have to be at the expense of Carey...and it’s hard to see that.

I agree, we need to shoot the ball better. IF Buddy were to come right in and be a deadeye 40% 3 point shooter, maybe Boeheim tries to find a way to go deeper?

I think Hughes and Carey both help. I think one of the reasons our “shooters” struggled last year is the offense often felt like 3 on 5. They should get better shots this year with more options. I think that should help Battle and Howard in particular. And Brissett seems primed for the sophomore year leap.

6 contributors(5 starters) returning plus a high level recruit plus a highly touted transfer...that’s 8.

Freshmen shooters rarely come in and shoot good. And even if they do, it’s tough for them to bring more to the table overall than more experienced guys(which our 6 returners plus Hughes are). Rautins, Nichols, Southerland, Shumpert...none of these guys were ready as freshmen.

If Buddy is going to play it would seemingly have to be at the expense of Carey...and it’s hard to see that.

I agree, we need to shoot the ball better. IF Buddy were to come right in and be a deadeye 40% 3 point shooter, maybe Boeheim tries to find a way to go deeper?

I think Hughes and Carey both help. I think one of the reasons our “shooters” struggled last year is the offense often felt like 3 on 5. They should get better shots this year with more options. I think that should help Battle and Howard in particular. And Brissett seems primed for the sophomore year leap.
This all makes sense to me.

I'll add that the poor shooting [in addition to the 3 on 5 offensive limitations we had to deal with] was also partially attributable to lack of depth. Guys like Frank, Battle, and Oshae never came out of the game.

This year, we'll have three [projected] bench guys who will all be able to score and alleviate some of that pressure. No exaggeration to suggested that Carey, Hughes, and Sidibe could each register double digit points any given game.

On that basis alone, I'd expect our offensive productivity to improve. We might not transform into the 2010 team, which was an offensive thing of beauty to watch, but we COULD be a lot like the 2012 team -- which also had three guys coming off the bench [Waiters, CJ, and Southerland] who could rack up points in a hurry.

I'd expect better offensive play, improved shooting, and higher PPG this season just on the basis of having better personnel to work with -- to say nothing of the versatility that players like Hughes, Carey, etc. bring to the table.

I'll add that the poor shooting [in addition to the 3 on 5 offensive limitations we had to deal with] was also partially attributable to lack of depth. Guys like Frank, Battle, and Oshae never came out of the game.

This year, we'll have three [projected] bench guys who will all be able to score and alleviate some of that pressure. No exaggeration to suggested that Carey, Hughes, and Sidibe could each register double digit points any given game.

On that basis alone, I'd expect our offensive productivity to improve. We might not transform into the 2010 team, which was an offensive thing of beauty to watch, but we COULD be a lot like the 2012 team -- which also had three guys coming off the bench [Waiters, CJ, and Southerland] who could rack up points in a hurry.

I'd expect better offensive play, improved shooting, and higher PPG this season just on the basis of having better personnel to work with -- to say nothing of the versatility that players like Hughes, Carey, etc. bring to the table.
I also think one big hidden story to the upcoming season - Battle is going to have the freedom to play a lot better.

He's going from a situation last season where he was the only proven player, to now being surrounded by guys that made a Sweet 16, plus his practice buddy, plus some young guys with upside. He's surrounded by legitimate help. That's taking to take a big mental load off and free him up to just play his game.

I don't know about how they might compare to 12, let alone 10. Those would both represent massive jumps from what we saw last season. The 10 team was an 81 ppg group whereas we put up 66.6 last season. Huge jump. The 11-12 team point production could be realistic (74 ppg), but they were 13th in offensive rating (we were 240th last season).

I think the bigger point would be that this should be a really, really good defensive team. A healthy center combo with the other four returning should at least put us in the neighborhood of where we were last season, if not better. Add in a capable scorer in Hughes and a potential offensive boost from Carey as well as a healthy Sidibe (please God, let Sidibe be healthy) and improvement from the rest of the group should mean we're at least a 70-72 ppg team. I would have to think that would net us a minimum of around 3 more Ws. Games like Bonaventure, ND, Ga Tech, NC STate and maybe even the Carolina/Wake/FSU OT games (Carolina was regulation, I guess) are all candidates to go our way if we're a bit more efficient offensively. Win three more of those and you finish the regular season at 22-9, which may not seem like a lot but you're safely in the tourney and that's just with modest improvement.

Anyway, trying to bring this back to Braswell -- It's awesome that he's looked good and I'm drooling at the idea of Buddy ripping the nets at 40% from three, but it's hard to imagine those guys cracking the rotation this year in meaningful games.

Anyway, trying to bring this back to Braswell -- It's awesome that he's looked good and I'm drooling at the idea of Buddy ripping the nets at 40% from three, but it's hard to imagine those guys cracking the rotation this year in meaningful games.

I don't think it's likely that both of them will play a meaningful role.

If our ball movement improves, we take better shots and our big three all shoot 35% or better, then great! Sign me up right now.

Hughes might be a terrific shooter, but we won't know until the lights go on. Geno, remember, came in with a much better resume, and averaged double digits at a somewhat better school than Hughes, and we got nothing out of him.

Maybe not all three of our "big three" makes that improvement to mid-to-upper 30% range. Maybe Brissett is so focused on finishing better through traffic near the rim that his outside shooting stays the same, or even gets a bit worse, because he could get streaky hot last year. People will be looking for him more this year. He won't have so many open outside shots.

In that case, if we've only got 2 out of 4 guys who are really reliable from deep, then someone is going to get some chances. Our best teams, historically speaking, usually have 3 guys who can shoot from three, two guards and a forward.

We usually play 2 centers, 3 forwards and 3 guards during the conference season. In preseason, you usually see the third center and the fourth guard. If either are terrible, you won't see them after December. If they are good, they might get the occasional cameo 5 minutes during conference season or the NCAA.

In the tournament, if one of the centers can play forward, or one of the forwards can play center, then you're going to see the dreaded "7 man rotation" - 4 front court players and 3 guards. But you have to have the flexibility, and over the years, as we've gone to bigger and bigger guards, you can't play only two guards, because they're going to get pressed by quick smaller guards, and most non-McDonald's forwards aren't good enough dribblers to be press breakers for us like a few guys have been in the past.

So, unless we have the front court flexibility (maybe Marek gives us that like Lydon and Rick Jackson did ...), I think we're going to see 8 guys this year, and unless one of the forwards can really dependably shoot the three (either Hughes or Brissett), then I think one of Buddy or String Bean is going to get some court time especially against zones.

Long answer, but hopefully you follow my thinking.

Last edited:
I don't know about how they might compare to 12, let alone 10. Those would both represent massive jumps from what we saw last season. The 10 team was an 81 ppg group whereas we put up 66.6 last season. Huge jump. The 11-12 team point production could be realistic (74 ppg), but they were 13th in offensive rating (we were 240th last season).

I think the bigger point would be that this should be a really, really good defensive team. A healthy center combo with the other four returning should at least put us in the neighborhood of where we were last season, if not better. Add in a capable scorer in Hughes and a potential offensive boost from Carey as well as a healthy Sidibe (please God, let Sidibe be healthy) and improvement from the rest of the group should mean we're at least a 70-72 ppg team. I would have to think that would net us a minimum of around 3 more Ws. Games like Bonaventure, ND, Ga Tech, NC STate and maybe even the Carolina/Wake/FSU OT games (Carolina was regulation, I guess) are all candidates to go our way if we're a bit more efficient offensively. Win three more of those and you finish the regular season at 22-9, which may not seem like a lot but you're safely in the tourney and that's just with modest improvement.

I think we may be more like 2000, the last time we got all 5 starters back. Not a great team but a very good one and much better than we've been seeing.