Class of 2017 - SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SG Alex O'Connell (GA) Verballed to Duke

Wow at getting pushed out the door. His father played there too meaning he was a legacy. Embarrassing.
Part of every coach's job is to recruit better players.

3 years of college film - much less so. :rolleyes:

It's hard because while I agree- he didnt get a whole lot.of opportunity after being recruited over every year. He clearly would want a major role anyways and he wouldn't get that here.

Part of every coach's job is to recruit better players.

It's one thing to recruit. It's another to essentially kick him off the team. These guys coming in may not hit the ground running like he thinks. AOC isn't a starter but he's a legit player for depth.

Why would he come here to be the 4th guard? he could stay at Duke for that.....

Why would he come here to be the 4th guard? he could stay at Duke for that...
He is getting Calhoun’d out of Duke.
They want his scholarship for another player.
If he is immediately eligible we should totally be all over him. It would be 1 year and give us depth.

Our team is going to have 3 open scholarships for next year why not use them especially for a year.

He is getting Calhoun’d out of Duke.
They want his scholarship for another player.
If he is immediately eligible we should totally be all over him. It would be 1 year and give us depth.

Our team is going to have 3 open scholarships for next year why not use them especially for a year.
The question is why would he come here? He would be the 4th guard and the 3rd shooter.

Why would he come here to be the 4th guard? he could stay at Duke for that...
He can be the first small forward/shooting guard off the bench.

he is smaller than Buddy...
So, who do you have in mind to shoot the ball from the Small Forward position? Braswell (believe he has potential, both have not proved himself), Guerrier (Maybe but need someone to rebound and he is our second best), Jon Bol Ajak (big man who can shoot the three but again no proof of his abilities), Marek (possibility, would help with the ball handling but being on the wing takes him away from the inside - still a possibility.

O’Connell was one of Duke’s reserves that has decent scoring capabilities. Don’t believe he would come to Syracuse but he should have instead of going to Duke in the first place.

So, who do you have in mind to shoot the ball from the Small Forward position? Braswell (believe he has potential, both have not proved himself), Guerrier (Maybe but need someone to rebound and he is our second best), Jon Bol Ajak (big man who can shoot the three but again no proof of his abilities), Marek (possibility, would help with the ball handling but being on the wing takes him away from the inside - still a possibility.

O’Connell was one of Duke’s reserves that has decent scoring capabilities. Don’t believe he would come to Syracuse but he should have instead of going to Duke in the first place.
We have 4 forwards currently, Braswell can shoot I see him more as a sketch 4 because he doesn't have the handle of a 3.

But the 3 and 4 in our system can be interchangeable we need one to be a shooter the other can be a driver or post player.

Marek is a driver now I'm hoping he finds his shot, Guerrier is developing a post game and mid-range game maybe he can sketch it.

Newton has a nice shot and can put it on the floor.

For me rebounding is more important. We need to get back to playing with size, have a 3 guard option but that is for situational basketball.

Last edited:
Did you not see the post a few spots above?
Kid had 3/6 good games against us, and basically nada the other 3 games.

If you think some posters are bitching about Buddy being one-dimensional and streaky, well that would go to plaid if this kid was playing here. :rolleyes:

He’s an older, skinnier, less-talented Buddy.
Sign me up!! :p
Not completley accurate, he can play above the rim unlike buddy

Count me in the hard pass group. No thanks. He was awful this year. 40% from the field, 27% from deep, and 58% from the line. If he’s not hitting shots, then he’s not giving you anything. And he would get eaten alive if he played the 3 here.

Yeah, he’s Vanilla Thunder out there, dropping the hammer on fools. :rolleyes: :p ;)

Above the rim is a bit much but he is way more athletic than Buddy and has a more complete floor game.

killed Syracuse seems like every time we played Duke, he's another thin guy but would gladly welcome him if he came to Cuse

killed Syracuse seems like every time we played Duke, he's another thin guy but would gladly welcome him if he came to Cuse

probably can post that after every other post at this point. perception kills

HALF the time, he killed us every time. :p

He's less effective than Sex Panther cologne. ;)

1584896420470.png

Count me in the hard pass group. No thanks. He was awful this year. 40% from the field, 27% from deep, and 58% from the line. If he’s not hitting shots, then he’s not giving you anything. And he would get eaten alive if he played the 3 here.
Yeah.

I’m not sure why this is even a conversation. Plus he wants to play big minutes and we will have 3 guards ahead of him.

Did you not see the post a few spots above?
Kid had 3/6 good games against us, and basically nada the other 3 games.

If you think some posters are bitching about Buddy being one-dimensional and streaky, well that would go to plaid if this kid was playing here. :rolleyes:

He’s an older, skinnier, less-talented Buddy.
Sign me up!! :p
Yeah.

I’m not sure why this is even a conversation. Plus he wants to play big minutes and we will have 3 guards ahead of him.
im with you. I liked him before but doesn't make any sense now