Class of 2019 - SG Brycen Goodine (MA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SG Brycen Goodine (MA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
My morning, Wake up at 4 am check phone, Syracuse gets a commitment from a 3 star guard I have never heard of "who what why ".

Then getting ready for work, I'm like What were taking this kid over Battle shaking my head in disbelief.

Get to work at 5:30 start watching Goodine videos. By 6:15 I'm totally in love with kid and Pumped for a few more Final Fours!!!

Wow. What a gem and pleasant surprise! Still hope to land a Carey or Lecque as it is still risky to play the combo/conversion to PG game. This kid looks like a top 50 at minimum eventually. LGO!

This is THE kid we wanted, rankings are meaningless 24 Mos in advance for non top 10 kids, trust the staff, all 3 of the other kids are on our board, we like them all, plus we have another wing that is not listed on the on the recruiting board, Gerry nailed it, did an amazing job, like Dasher said, we are recruiting like we used to, Brycen has been staff focus for long-time, he will be top 50 within 12 months.

Will posting another cryptic message soon.

I already believed Dasher when he said this is the guy we wanted because he has a track record and an obvious connection to the program. All I said was I don't remember anyone saying this is THE GUY we wanted prior to his out of the blue commitment. Glad he committed, hope he's the next Kobe. Personally, I'll hold off on anointing him as such until he can climb out of the 190's in class rankings. And yes I do agree, rankings don't mean everything, but, they do mean something or you wouldn't have said - in the same breath - that he'll be in the Top 50 soon. I watched his highlight videos that I could find, he is as athletic as all get out. Jump shot looks awkward, but anecdotally it works for him, so I'll accept that. He is young and has time to improve his mechanics, if that is even necessary. Like I said before, the staff do basketball talent evaluating for a living and I don't. I accept they know what they are doing and am happy if they are. On the other hand Elijah Hughes is going to be "a top 30 player in the country" --- We'll see. I'm honestly not trying to troll here, I have mixed feelings maybe, just trying to be honest.

So far your info has been accurate as far as I can tell. Thank you for that. We had another poster who's info was always right until it wasn't and they don't even let him post here anymore, unless this is you and you just changed your handle. Hopefully I don't get excommunicated for having an opinion.

We get Carey and our guard depth is fantastic going forward. We would be done with '18 guards and add one more for '19. By then Howard Washington will be in his 3rd year in the program.
One of our biggest issues has been a lack of quality guards and any kind of depth. I am really happy to see that the staff is being proactive about changing this. You need good guards to win in college hoops now, so we better load up. Still need that PG (Carey) and hopefully the shooting translates to this level, but we've definitely trended up.

Now, we really need some interior players, especially a shot blocking type since the zone will be in a place for a little while longer, at the very least.

My morning, Wake up at 4 am check phone, Syracuse gets a commitment from a 3 star guard I have never heard of "who what why ".

Then getting ready for work, I'm like What were taking this kid over Battle shaking my head in disbelief.

Get to work at 5:30 start watching Goodine videos. By 6:15 I'm totally in love with kid and Pumped for a few more Final Fours!!!
So it's Alarm, Anchor,Globe&Eagle and Brycen? ;)

Last edited:
I already believed Dasher when he said this is the guy we wanted because he has a track record and an obvious connection to the program. All I said was I don't remember anyone saying this is THE GUY we wanted prior to his out of the blue commitment. Glad he committed, hope he's the next Kobe. Personally, I'll hold off on anointing him as such until he can climb out of the 190's in class rankings. And yes I do agree, rankings don't mean everything, but, they do mean something or you wouldn't have said - in the same breath - that he'll be in the Top 50 soon. I watched his highlight videos that I could find, he is as athletic as all get out. Jump shot looks awkward, but anecdotally it works for him, so I'll accept that. He is young and has time to improve his mechanics, if that is even necessary. Like I said before, the staff do basketball talent evaluating for a living and I don't. I accept they know what they are doing and am happy if they are. On the other hand Elijah Hughes is going to be "a top 30 player in the country" --- We'll see. I'm honestly not trying to troll here, I have mixed feelings maybe, just trying to be honest.

So far your info has been accurate as far as I can tell. Thank you for that. We had another poster who's info was always right until it wasn't and they don't even let him post here anymore, unless this is you and you just changed your handle. Hopefully I don't get excommunicated for having an opinion.
re: recruit rankings
wes johnson & andy rautins came out of hs as 2 stars, brandon triche and arinze onuaku 3 stars and they were core players on the best team JB ever fielded. rankings are a herd mentality and none of the men making them are as astute at talent evaluation as is JB. brycen & hughes will both outperform their rankings. as will sidibe (by a lot) and I'm not saying this because I have orange stars in my eyes. for example, I am skeptical of dolezaj

Good job Gerry this helps calm things.
We need multiple year guards in the program.
We need program kids and some elite talent up top. If the last couple years have taught us anything, it is that we can't beat decent OOC opponents or compete in the ACC without quality guards, let alone get into and play well in the NCAA's.

Last edited:
Good job Gerry this helps calm things.
I hope it's red, but I'm sticking with my prediction that gerry is the heir apparent

We have pretty good luck with these early commits. The only early commit that didn't really blow up in the rankings I can remember is Moyer, but he still projects to be a pretty solid player and has already been a great ambassador for the program.

The other advantage to getting a class commit this early is now he can help recruit too.

This is a school and coach that don't care how their kids are rated by the services. Some high schools will have the services in to look at their kids. Hart doesn't do that. By the time this kids sr seasons rolls around, he will be top 50 after playing in the camps next year.

Its hard not to take this as a great sign. Looking at prior years early commitments and keeping in mind jb's, i don't know, 40-50 years of talent evaluating, i think its safe to assume this kids the real deal.

Are the highlights from this past summer, post-morbid (after his injury)? If so, I see no remnants of this kid being hurt. He's explosive to the rim and has good elevation.

I hope it's red, but I'm sticking with my prediction that gerry is the heir apparent

red will be gone. unless he came back. my prediction is also Gerry.

re: recruit rankings
wes johnson & andy rautins came out of hs as 2 stars, brandon triche and arinze onuaku 3 stars and they were core players on the best team JB ever fielded. rankings are a herd mentality and none of the men making them are as astute at talent evaluation as is JB. brycen & hughes will both outperform their rankings. as will sidibe (by a lot) and I'm not saying this because I have orange stars in my eyes. for example, I am skeptical of dolezaj
Totally agree JB has a good eye for talent, that said, and this is in no way a reflection on goodine, he has missed on a number of recruits as well. His recruitments of Chino, Devin Brennan-McBride, Greg Davis, etc. has been off. It happens, especially when mining for diamonds in the rough. Triche was underrated for sure due to his injury. Arinze developed as did Wes, who had ridiculous athleticism. I too am skeptical of Dolezaj. Just seems way too slight to contribute. Also don't think his shooting will keep guys up on him, so as to allow him to drive past. Glad we are in the softer ACC these days. Imagine him in the BE.

Totally agree JB has a good eye for talent, that said, and this is in no way a reflection on goodine, he has missed on a number of recruits as well. His recruitments of Chino, Devin Brennan-McBride, Greg Davis, etc. has been off. It happens, especially when mining for diamonds in the rough. Triche was underrated for sure due to his injury. Arinze developed as did Wes, who had ridiculous athleticism. I too am skeptical of Dolezaj. Just seems way too slight to contribute. Glad we are in the softer ACC these days. Imagine him in the BE.

Yeah he's a diamond in the rough but it's telling that he's class of 2019. It speaks to how bad we wanted him.

Status
Not open for further replies.