Class of 2019 - SG Brycen Goodine (MA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 SG Brycen Goodine (MA) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh Pace

It almost like we specialize in injured recruits. Unfortunately, we also seem to have a lot of guys get injured just as they are trying to start their pro careers.

Andy Rautins.

Josh Pace

It almost like we specialize in injured recruits. Unfortunately, we also seem to have a lot of guys get injured just as they are trying to start their pro careers.

Didn't Warrick have an ACL injury in his pre-SU days? I may be misremembering.

I like this commit a lot - I was a little worried that Buddy's commit would mean SU would not recruit other elite SGs and/or Buddy being JB's son might scare off other elite SGs.

Where does the following fit into the narrative???

"Syracuse first saw Goodine at Nike EYBL Peach Jam, where he averaged 4.6 points per game on 25 percent shooting from the field. The Orange’s assistant coach Gerry McNamara attended every game the high school junior played in, Goodine said, but that he didn’t introduce himself until soon after in Florida."

This is THE kid we wanted, rankings are meaningless 24 Mos in advance for non top 10 kids, trust the staff, all 3 of the other kids are on our board, we like them all, plus we have another wing that is not listed on the on the recruiting board, Gerry nailed it, did an amazing job, like Dasher said, we are recruiting like we used to, Brycen has been staff focus for long-time, he will be top 50 within 12 months.

Will posting another cryptic message soon.

Was this the guy you said we would be hearing about soon that was not on the board( he was)? Just wondering if there is another unknown poorly ranked stud upcoming.

Yeah he's a diamond in the rough but it's telling that he's class of 2019. It speaks to how bad we wanted him.

I also am optimistic but in the clips I only see dunking/ athleticism and 3s. Didn't really get a feel for his handle or any defense

Brycen, Welcome to the Syracuse Basketball family. Go Orange!

Brycen Goodine.jpg

re: recruit rankings
wes johnson & andy rautins came out of hs as 2 stars, brandon triche and arinze onuaku 3 stars and they were core players on the best team JB ever fielded. rankings are a herd mentality and none of the men making them are as astute at talent evaluation as is JB. brycen & hughes will both outperform their rankings. as will sidibe (by a lot) and I'm not saying this because I have orange stars in my eyes. for example, I am skeptical of dolezaj
Agree 100% on recruit rankings. But I'll say I'm more skeptical of Hughes and bullish on Dolezaj (if he sticks around for a couple of years).

re: recruit rankings
wes johnson & andy rautins came out of hs as 2 stars, brandon triche and arinze onuaku 3 stars and they were core players on the best team JB ever fielded. rankings are a herd mentality and none of the men making them are as astute at talent evaluation as is JB. brycen & hughes will both outperform their rankings. as will sidibe (by a lot) and I'm not saying this because I have orange stars in my eyes. for example, I am skeptical of dolezaj

With all due respect, herd mentality is believing that everyone that commits to Syracuse to going to be awesome.

Listen, please understand, I am not trying to be a troll here. The world is not black and white to me. I am both excited about this commit and cautious at the same time. I understand that rankings aren't everything while at the same time I understand they also provide some kind of baseline for understanding a potential prospect. They are flawed, I get that. Some guys go unnoticed who should not, I get that. Some guys get a bump (or drop) after they commit to a certain team(s), I get that. Yes Boeheim has proven to be adept at finding players undervalued by those ranking systems, which I understand and is part of why I'm excited and optimistic about this kid. We have had plenty of whiffs in the recent past as well, from guys that were rated highly and some that were supposedly undervalued. Brycen and Hughes and Sidibe outperforming their rankings? I hope so and agree with you for the most part that two of those three could do so. I have seen zero evidence of Hughes being a top 30 type player - zero, but, that remains to be seen and hope someday you can show me this post and laugh at me.

Hard to have a nuanced opinion on a message board. I should have just gone with the Steph Curry comparison.

This is a school and coach that don't care how their kids are rated by the services. Some high schools will have the services in to look at their kids. Hart doesn't do that. By the time this kids sr seasons rolls around, he will be top 50 after playing in the camps next year.

Good info - didn't know Hart withheld his players from the rating services. I'm actually really glad that the coaches do not look at the rating services before making offers to kids, that is how I would expect professionals to go about recruiting. As a guy who is just a fan, no inside info, all I have to go by are mix tapes and rating services.

EDIT: and also I can go by people like you who have it on good authority that this guy is the real deal. Happy to have that input, helps guide my expectations.

Last edited:
I don't quite get the skepticism here tho for this situation...if he were a senior and ranked like he is then maybe but this is a kid that played his freshman year and got hurt and missed a year then came back and reclassed and led his team to a state title and is just starting to get some publicity and looked at and still has 2 years of high school ball to play! Just watching the small sample of tape on this kid anyone could see that he will more then likely shoot up the rankings and has tons of time to do so and even more so now that he committed to us in sure he will be watched more and get more publicity. The sample size that we have to go off of and the recruiting sites is pretty small and they will certainly get a better look at this kid this year. At least that's my thinking on it

I don't quite get the skepticism here tho for this situation...if he were a senior and ranked like he is then maybe but this is a kid that played his freshman year and got hurt and missed a year then came back and reclassed and led his team to a state title and is just starting to get some publicity and looked at and still has 2 years of high school ball to play! Just watching the small sample of tape on this kid anyone could see that he will more then likely shoot up the rankings and has tons of time to do so and even more so now that he committed to us in sure he will be watched more and get more publicity. The sample size that we have to go off of and the recruiting sites is pretty small and they will certainly get a better look at this kid this year. At least that's my thinking on it

This is good point. Skepticism in this situation may not be warranted. I think this conversation started because my initial reaction was a little reserved, not knowing anything about the player. It was genuinely mistaken for being negative. At first I was only attempting to point out that I'm not necessarily down on the kid, just that I didn't know anything about him. Now it has sort of devolved into me responding to every post and it probably has taken a turn toward me sounding skeptical, when I think I'm just trying to defend myself from accusations of being a slave to rankings etc. I am not.

Anyway I will stop responding, people are probably tired of this conversation by now.

This is good point. Skepticism in this situation may not be warranted. I think this conversation started because my initial reaction was a little reserved, not knowing anything about the player. It was genuinely mistaken for being negative. At first I was only attempting to point out that I'm not necessarily down on the kid, just that I didn't know anything about him. Now it has sort of devolved into me responding to every post and it probably has taken a turn toward me sounding skeptical, when I think I'm just trying to defend myself from accusations of being a slave to rankings etc. I am not.

Anyway I will stop responding, people are probably tired of this conversation by now.

Hey we are all just fans and have the right to speak our minds! I don't necessarily view your posts as negative, I get the skepticism to some degree and I certainly get what you mean by whenever a lesser ranked recruit commits to cuse he's all of a sudden a 5 star prospect. In this case I just think he hasn't had a chance to really be evaluated yet and will continue to rise in the rankings and I guess any predictions good or bad on him would be premature...the good thing is we have s great looking prospect that the staff obviously must really like alot to take him this early and he has 2 years to continue to grow as a player before he ever steps foot on campus! I think we will all come back here his senior year of highschool and be very happy with him as a player and where he ends up being ranked! I say preach on!

I just hope red doesn't take griff with him

I think Griff would stay here as #1 asst instead of with Red who'll be at a smaller school. Griff with Hop would make more sense because they are very close, but I don't see that happening either and maybe Hop already approached him before.

red will be gone. unless he came back. my prediction is also Gerry.
You're predicting that Gerry takes over for JB with no previous head coach experience and - to date - he's landed 2 unproven top 100 recruits in his tenure? Something doesn't seem right there.

It's very hard for me to imagine Gerry McNamara as the next head coach of Syracuse University.

Yeah, I hear he's a shoo-in for the University of Syracuse spot anyway.

red will be gone. unless he came back. my prediction is also Gerry.
OK, this probably deserves another thread, but Gerry as head coach?? I thought a lot of people here did not think highly of Gerry? Have I missed a few threads? Don't get me wrong, I love Gerry but he seems a little young for me. I mean, TO me! ( oh, Freud, you rascal!)

OK, this probably deserves another thread, but Gerry as head coach?? I thought a lot of people here did not think highly of Gerry? Have I missed a few threads? Don't get me wrong, I love Gerry but he seems a little young for me. I mean, TO me! ( oh, Freud, you rascal!)

We're talking 5 years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.