Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

As I have said before, NIL will open up the floodgates of cheating!
I can just imagine the bookkeeping that is gonna go on with this travesty!

Such BS.
I ask again, what's wrong with this? If a car dealership wants to sponsor a 21 year old NBA player for publicity they can, so why not a 21 year old college player? Also, he has over 150k followers on instagram. Plus all the people sharing this image. So that place is getting some incredible publicity, which is the point of advertising, no?

Yeah. Another aspect that’s lost in this is a 20 year old male with a car that puts out about 720 hp. What could go wrong?
Yes because once you leave college you become a perfect driver that doesn't drive dangerously or get into accidents.

I ask again, what's wrong with this? If a car dealership wants to sponsor a 21 year old NBA player for publicity they can, so why not a 21 year old college player? Also, he has over 150k followers on instagram. Plus all the people sharing this image. So that place is getting some incredible publicity, which is the point of advertising, no?

Yes because once you leave college you become a perfect driver that doesn't drive dangerously or get into accidents.
I don't have a problem with it. I would like to know how it works. Does the kid now own the car? Is it a lease? What if he transfers? It will be very interesting to see how these things play out over the next few years.

it is not the intent of NIL and is clearly a recruiting tool.

The NIL is the end of true amateur college athletics as I / we knew them, flawed as they may have been.
Not all change is good, I’d say this is the prototypical example of a bad change.

I am not against the free market, I’m against the end of true amateur sports.
It was wonderful while it lasted!

The NIL is the end of true amateur college athletics as I / we knew them, flawed as they may have been.
Not all change is good, I’d say this is the prototypical example of a bad change.

It ended a long time ago.

Well said.

I truly believe if we wanted this kid he would’ve come here the fact that he hasn’t committed tells me that thanks to someone else in this thread we probably don’t want him.

So if a student athlete is receiving a vehicle in return for an endorsement, who is paying the income tax on that perk? Even if its considered a lease for three years, that's $15,000-$20,000 of taxable income.
I’m just guessing here but maybe the car Dealer could amortize it as an annual gift - somewhere near the $15000 / yr threshold and avoid tax.

Yeah. Another aspect that’s lost in this is a 20 year old male with a car that puts out about 720 hp. What could go wrong?

Sadly it's the new thing. I am part of a Hellcat Car Club- and these days 80 pct of the new members are 24 or younger...

Yeah: let the adults with jobs make all the money and the kids sacrificing their bodies get peanuts. SU isn’t getting ANY recruits LSU wants, so what does it matter.

it’s not the NIL. It’s gonna be a recruiting tool.

Well if SU has a car dealer that wants to do this, they're more than welcome to.

since one of the driving reasons for NIL for athletes was that the music major etc could go out and make money, when will the bennies received by athletes only be rescinded? Things like the monthly stipend they receive for full cost of attendance which amounts to about $4k - $6k depending upon the school. Or the 24/7 meal plan. Or the basically unlimited athletic apparel? Or the ability to still get a pell grant even though everything is paid for? Or the road trip additional meal money (JB talked about this but I didn’t fully understand). I’m sure there are a couple I am forgetting that are benefits to athletes only. When can the regular student start screaming for these?