Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

Of course it’s a recruiting tool: it’s just gone public. They can pay what they want and call it NIL. Of course, the kids will now have to pay taxes.

It can't be said enough. These kids were getting all this stuff before. The difference is they were forced to commit tax fraud so the schools could remain NCAA compliant.

Now its out in the open and above board. High school kids aren't accepting money they could get in trouble for not paying taxes on. College basketball hasn't been amateur in at least the last 60 years, its been a free market since the 60's that I know of and probably before that.

Well if SU has a car dealer that wants to do this, they're more than welcome to.
From what i remember back in the day, SU did do things like this. I remember players driving nice cars and folks gave a wink & a nod cause we all knew what was going on.
Now it’s out in the open minus the hypocrisy, so at least there’s that.

Last edited:
since one of the driving reasons for NIL for athletes was that the music major etc could go out and make money, when will the bennies received by athletes only be rescinded? Things like the monthly stipend they receive for full cost of attendance which amounts to about $4k - $6k depending upon the school. Or the 24/7 meal plan. Or the basically unlimited athletic apparel? Or the ability to still get a pell grant even though everything is paid for? Or the road trip additional meal money (JB talked about this but I didn’t fully understand). I’m sure there are a couple I am forgetting that are benefits to athletes only. When can the regular student start screaming for these?
Regular students can scream for those benefits when they're responsible for millions of dollars that the university rakes in. I still struggle to see what's wrong with a kid with hundreds of thousands of followers using their brand to make money.

There are plenty of children and teens raking in dough right now because of social media. But an athlete can't use their name recognition to do the same?

So if a student athlete is receiving a vehicle in return for an endorsement, who is paying the income tax on that perk? Even if its considered a lease for three years, that's $15,000-$20,000 of taxable income.
Dollars would be a lot more than that. That could be a 100k car. Not even sure you can lease that. It might be buy only. That's ok, if they are going to give a player that kind of car, he'll get all the help he needs with taxes, etc.

820ED8FB-4518-4CDE-B4A0-8DE0B208D7F6.gif

From what i remember back in the day, SU did do things like this. I remember players driving nice cars and folks gave a wink & a nod cause we all knew what was going on.
Now it’s out in the open minus the hypocrisy, so at least there’s that.
SU FB had “handshake guys” in the 60’s. (Read : “Out of their league” by SU alum Dave Meggesy.) Why people think SU is pure as the driven snow is beyond me.

Last edited:
since one of the driving reasons for NIL for athletes was that the music major etc could go out and make money, when will the bennies received by athletes only be rescinded? Things like the monthly stipend they receive for full cost of attendance which amounts to about $4k - $6k depending upon the school. Or the 24/7 meal plan. Or the basically unlimited athletic apparel? Or the ability to still get a pell grant even though everything is paid for? Or the road trip additional meal money (JB talked about this but I didn’t fully understand). I’m sure there are a couple I am forgetting that are benefits to athletes only. When can the regular student start screaming for these?
The driving reasons behind NIL was SCOTUS and the US Constitution.

Lol. Yeah, looks like pretty much a done deal that Westry is headed to LSU. Stinks. He's been my favorite target in this class, or at least right near the top, for a while now.

In shocking news.

What I want to know… Do LSU fans think Will Wade is some charismatic amazing recruiter who’s landing all these players legitimately? Or do they understand that the coach and boosters are paying players to come there?