Class of 2024 - SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 SG Jalil Bethea (PA) Offered

"One school that has been there from the start is Syracuse. Gerry McNamara's message to Bethea has been consistent even with the new offers.

"Basically the same thing, that he really wants me," Bethea said. "I was actually talking to Melo the other day. Carmelo was basically saying that they need you and whatever I need he's there for me. Even if I go there or not, he's still in my circle and all that. It just means that they really care. They want to go above and beyond for me."

Bethea says he speaks with Gerry McNamara on a regular basis. The two speak frequently, and Bethea is hoping to get back up to campus to watch a practice in order to get a better feel for the new staff's approach. He says he could decide by he end of September."

One thing I'm curious about, and would love to know what you all think, is how Judah coming back, and by extension, the 2023-24 roster at 13 players, with no seniors, may impact 2024 recruiting. I assume Judah is gone after this coming season, and maybe others through the pro route or the portal, but with all 13 guys having additional eligibility, and Elijah and Donnie already in the fold, I'm fascinated by what SU coaches may be telling 2024 recruits (Jalil, Pat, Caleb, Mikey, etc.) as far as scholarships available/playing time for 2024-25.

One thing I'm curious about, and would love to know what you all think, is how Judah coming back, and by extension, the 2023-24 roster at 13 players, with no seniors, may impact 2024 recruiting. I assume Judah is gone after this coming season, and maybe others through the pro route or the portal, but with all 13 guys having additional eligibility, and Elijah and Donnie already in the fold, I'm fascinated by what SU coaches may be telling 2024 recruits (Jalil, Pat, Caleb, Mikey, etc.) as far as scholarships available/playing time for 2024-25.
Scholarships will work themselves out. Attrition will happen, and the portal isn't going away anytime soon. I could see a 3 player 2024 class (maybe 4 depending on how this season goes). Kiyan and 2025 will be next...

We have 3 guys who could get drafted if the stars align. And possibly one or so who may get buried on the bench and realize with the uptick in recruiting they won't get a certain shot. Otherwise I don't know, someone's gotta go. My guess is one of the project centers. Red may have to make room for Donnie, Elijah and hopefully Bethea (and I would stop there with high school recruiting for 24) - an elite class.

I think it's pretty clear that one of the guards (Copeland or Taylor, whoever gets the fewest minutes) and one of the forwards (probably Bell), and maybe a center (probably Carey) will portal next year, plus Judah will go pro.

That gives us 4 spots. We have 1 guard and 1 forward coming in. Probably take one more guard, and either another F or C.

I think it's pretty clear that one of the guards (Copeland or Taylor, whoever gets the fewest minutes) and one of the forwards (probably Bell), and maybe a center (probably Carey) will portal next year, plus Judah will go pro.

That gives us 4 spots. We have 1 guard and 1 forward coming in. Probably take one more guard, and either another F or C.
Moore, Freeman, Bethea and big Pat would be a great class.

Moore, Freeman, Bethea and big Pat would be a great class.
Agreed, although Pat had an interview this week stating teams prioritizing him. No mention of SU. Doesn't mean SU isn't involved, so we'll see. Also, Mikey Lewis and/or Caleb Williams...

Agreed, although Pat had an interview this week stating teams prioritizing him. No mention of SU. Doesn't mean SU isn't involved, so we'll see. Also, Mikey Lewis and/or Caleb Williams...
Freeman has to get to work on Pat. I'm not sure Lewis moves the needle for me, especially if we have a good shot at Tyler Jackson in 2025.

Tyler Jackson has future lottery pick written all over him. He's seriously next next level.
I agree. He is a special talent. It is so difficult to project rosters from year to year. Assuming Judah is the only guard starter that leaves next year, then adding Moore and Bethea at guard would be plenty. Jackson is the guy in 2025 to replace likely JJ and Westry.

I like all the guys we currently have but it is a great problem to have when you're overflowing with talent and lesser players will have to portal to find minutes. It's a sign that we are back and talented players want to come.

All the great teams have figured it out and we will too. When Filipowski returned to Duke, immediately their top recruit Mgbako who is also a PF decommitted.

I imagine they’re telling them: don’t worry. There will be room. I never worry about scholarships numbers like some people on here do. Of course there’s going to be space. Guys always transfer, and Judah and maybe JJ will be gone to the draft. If we land Jalil, other guards will transfer knowing they won’t get as much playing time the following year. Or you give “the talk” if you have to.

I imagine they’re telling them: don’t worry. There will be room. I never worry about scholarships numbers like some people on here do. Of course there’s going to be space. Guys always transfer, and Judah and maybe JJ will be gone to the draft. If we land Jalil, other guards will transfer knowing they won’t get as much playing time the following year. Or you give “the talk” if you have to.
Well said. I'm, like you, not super worried about schollies available, the topic just came to the forefront for me after Judah said he would return, given the two 2024 commits already, plus SU seemingly still pursuing several more juniors. Given 13 players, I assume a couple of guys will be unhappy with PT and look to hit the portal after 2023-24...besides Judah and maybe J.J., are there any SU players who you think could eye the draft after this coming season? Benny if he's awesome perhaps???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom