Class of 2021 - SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 SG Lucas Taylor (NC) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (6/4/24)

1. I’m sure Red is aware of this

2. We have 4 players that can play forward
(Freeman, Bell, Davis, Westry)

3. You are beating the heck out of a dead horse.
Agree.

In 24-25, we will have at least 4 forwards on the roster, all of whom should be markedly better than any of the forwards on the 2023-24 team.

It would be nice to also get a stretch 4 but in this age of free agency, it is not realistic to expect a perfect roster every year. Players have a ton more freedom and are going to find what is best for them. Schools are to have to settle for rosters that are less than ideal. Even schools like Kentucky are having problems putting together a solid roster.

Given the current landscape, our situation at forward is vastly improved. If Matt’s biggest concern turns out to be our biggest problem, we should all be thrilled.

I am more worried about depth at PG and C personally.

The health of Chance is such a big key for this team. If he is good, we are covered at guard and forward. If not, things could get dicey in a hurry.

My main concern here is how he did nothing at Wake. Sat his first year and was totally ineffective second year.

He's 3 years older now. Anselem did nothing at SU, but he'll probably be productive for somebody else.

1. I’m sure Red is aware of this

2. We have 4 players that can play forward
(Freeman, Bell, Davis, Westry)

3. You are beating the heck out of a dead horse.

Westry last played 2 years ago. I hope he's healthy, but if he's our 4th forward, that's huge trouble.

You might think I'm beating a dead horse, but we still only have 3 forwards and 2 centers, while we are apparently chasing a SIXTH guard.

They taught math in your school, didn't tney?

Agree.

In 24-25, we will have at least 4 forwards on the roster, all of whom should be markedly better than any of the forwards on the 2023-24 team.

It would be nice to also get a stretch 4 but in this age of free agency, it is not realistic to expect a perfect roster every year. Players have a ton more freedom and are going to find what is best for them. Schools are to have to settle for rosters that are less than ideal. Even schools like Kentucky are having problems putting together a solid roster.

Given the current landscape, our situation at forward is vastly improved. If Matt’s biggest concern turns out to be our biggest problem, we should all be thrilled.

I am more worried about depth at PG and C personally.

The health of Chance is such a big key for this team. If he is good, we are covered at guard and forward. If not, things could get dicey in a hurry.
only 1 of those players can guard anyone tall

i dont think counting on westry to do anything is wise...i'd say right now its 3.5 forwards.

1 PF and 2.5 small forwards...

i really dont see what they will do next year if an opponent puts out a tall lineup with 2 or 3 post players a la UNC...it will be same old same old...

only 3 players on the roster are 6'9 or taller...thats not a lot.

louisvile has like 5 or 6, for example

the forwards are better than last year

but i see a likelihood of the same issues as far as no flexibility with roster...and ending up with small players guarding big players...THAT DOESNT WORK

Westry last played 2 years ago. I hope he's healthy, but if he's our 4th forward, that's huge trouble.

You might think I'm beating a dead horse, but we still only have 3 forwards and 2 centers, while we are apparently chasing a SIXTH guard.

They taught math in your school, didn't tney?

Maybe you should go take a trip to the Melo center and pound these points into the staff and get them to make sure they do what you think is best.

At this juncture you are venting to the wrong audience…

Maybe you should go take a trip to the Melo center and pound these points into the staff and get them to make sure they do what you think is best.

At this juncture you are venting to the wrong audience…

I don't have to try to save Red's job for him.
Last year his portal consisted of 4 guys - ALL of whom were coming off injuries.
This year, he can't seem to close with mid-major guys with experience looking to move up a level.
Either way is not good.

Last year his portal consisted of 4 guys - ALL of whom were coming off injuries.
This year, he can't seem to close with mid-major guys with experience looking to move up a level.
Either way is not good.

Well you can join the chorus that will be calling for his head if we don’t make the tourney then…

Either way is not good.
You seem to think we’re Kentucky or Duke and can have our pick of anyone we want. Facts are we have 4 pretty much settled starters, limited nil money, and haven’t been a major player on the national stage for a decade. We seem to be doing about as well as a reasonable person might expect.

You seem to think we’re Kentucky or Duke and can have our pick of anyone we want. Facts are we have 4 pretty much settled starters, limited nil money, and haven’t been a major player on the national stage for a decade. We seem to be doing about as well as a reasonable person might expect.

We are not even mentioned with top guys. I gave up on us recruiting like Duke when Hopkins left.

We aren’t even at the adult table. We’re failing to close with guys rated 75-200 among transfers.

We are not even mentioned with top guys. I gave up on us recruiting like Duke when Hopkins left.

We aren’t even at the adult table. We’re failing to close with guys rated 75-200 among transfers.
Wait, its almost like NIL is the driving factor

Cardiac confirms cardiac know what he is talking about.

Solid. ;)

Hope we get this guy. I get the feeling we really want another good outside shooter to pair with Bell so in certain situations we can put them in the corners and open the court up to attack the paint.
JJ has that strength for a SG. Let him drive downhill. Even Carlos as well can get to the cup.

I watched Lucas play a lot last year. Very good shooter/slasher, seems like a good teammate. My main issue is that he never met a shot he didn't like. Now, he does make a lot of them, but he can be a bit of a ballstopper on offense. Could be what he was asked to do - he wasn't surrounded by a ton of talent, and I'm not sure the coaches knew how to game plan offensively, so it might not have been hos choice.

I watched Lucas play a lot last year. Very good shooter/slasher, seems like a good teammate. My main issue is that he never met a shot he didn't like. Now, he does make a lot of them, but he can be a bit of a ballstopper on offense. Could be what he was asked to do - he wasn't surrounded by a ton of talent, and I'm not sure the coaches knew how to game plan offensively, so it might not have been hos choice.

Thanks for the first hand info.

So, that’s kinda like

Cardiac-AC-AC-AC-AC-AC

You aughta know by now.

We’re settling for guys from the Sun Belt

Is that all you get for your money?
theres a guy on twitter who copied my screenname and now there's a new user on here named cardiac??

interesting

i guess imitiation is the highest form of flattery...
Can do A LOT worse at this stage of the game
agreed

wow did not realize this player has had offers from:
Uconn, ohio state, xavier, marquette, clemson, miami and many others...

he's not just some rando with no chance of playing at this level at the very least...

Why do you assume we’re “failing to close” like we have some sort of inside track. Guys choose schools for a lot of reasons. We’re not such a big time power now that we should assume we automatically h any sort of edge. Again, with our starters basically set, limited nil money and a recent history of missing the NCAAs, what should set us apart so that we’re ever in position to close?

Appreciate the run down. I think the staff is looking for that kind of player to come off the bench. He’s what 6’5-6’6? Can he handle the ball? Because if so it really makes sense from our point of view. A guy who can come in and just score the ball in bunches, that can play the 1 in a pinch and the wing. I don’t hate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom