Class of 2020 - F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24) | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 F Jyare Davis (DE) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/15/24)

I'd take that bet.

He'll be an essential cog, on a top 10 team.

He's so good, our dipshiz fanbase doesn't even realize what he's capable of, or how historically efficient on offense he is. And they mistake playing within himself as "can't do certain things."
For his sake, I hope you're right... For Duke's sake, I hope they leave him on the bench and worse players than him stink up the joint.

I've been wrong before. I just don't see Brown beating out the guys that Duke has coming in. They have 3-4 lottery picks at the positions he can play. Probably 5-6 eventual first round picks in their frontcourt.

My over under on Brown's minutes played is probably 15, and I bet a lot of that time comes in the second half after Duke's rotation players have blown out an overmatched opponent.

I won't belabour the point any further, I don't hold any malice toward Brown. I just can't understand why he'd go to Duke, one of the very few places he isn't going to be an instant starter and star transfer.

I agree with his limitations, but he never really tried to do things he wasn’t capable of.
He was a net positive.
Yeah, and that was one of the best things about Brown. He never forced the issue. He almost always just made the right play. I also LOVED his little pokee poke on defense. On a loaded team, he would be a key role player to help get to a final four. He isn't a star though and that's not meant as a dig in any way.

For his sake, I hope you're right... For Duke's sake, I hope they leave him on the bench and worse players than him stink up the joint.

I've been wrong before. I just don't see Brown beating out the guys that Duke has coming in. They have 3-4 lottery picks at the positions he can play. Probably 5-6 eventual first round picks in their frontcourt.

My over under on Brown's minutes played is probably 15, and I bet a lot of that time comes in the second half after Duke's rotation players have blown out an overmatched opponent.

I won't belabour the point any further, I don't hold any malice toward Brown. I just can't understand why he'd go to Duke, one of the very few places he isn't going to be an instant starter and star transfer.
Yeah, I'm with you Niastri. Unless he got a huge nil deal or was seeking validation by going to dook, seems like a strange destination for reasons you stated.

I'd take that bet.

He'll be an essential cog, on a top 10 team.

He's so good, our dipshiz fanbase doesn't even realize what he's capable of, or how historically efficient on offense he is. And they mistake playing within himself as "can't do certain things."
But he didn’t want to be here next year, so it doesn’t matter. The coaches didn’t run him off. It seems like he ran himself off. Why would he do that if he felt he could earn quality minutes next season? He didn’t want to play center, so Red got Lampkin. Did he not want to split time with Freeman and Bell? He did a great job for us last year and definitely has a high IQ for the game, and we’ll miss his defense. He would have been first guy off the bench for us. Guess that wasn’t enough for him. I just don’t see his options for playing time improving next season at Duke. He’ll play, but he’s in a battle with a bunch of guys that bring more to the table in terms of scoring ability, and if any of the young guys catch fire, he’s only playing spot minutes.

Again, I don’t see why everyone is arguing about a player that obviously thinks the grass is greener on the other side. Maybe he’s making a few more $$$ with Duke? Maybe he wanted to be closer to home? Maybe he didn’t like seeing his friends get pushed out. Guess we’ll never know. Good luck to him, but I agree with Niastri. He has an uphill battle coming for playing time. Choosing Duke is a head scratcher if he really wanted to start and play big minutes.

All of them since about 1969.
Please show me a clip of Maliq taking his defender off the bounce. Or a clip of him hitting a shot coming off a screen. I've looked and can't see any.
He is a nice player that is a liability on offense.
Liability…It’s honestly hard to believe someone has watched this much basketball and can have this opinion.

Last edited:
Liability…It’s honestly hard to believe someone has watched this much basketball and can have this opinion.
Did you not see his opinions on Judah when he left? Mintz was an All-American had it not been for the rest of the team. Don't mean to pile on kcsu but when he takes a strong position, he doesn't come up for air.

Maliq never put the ball on the floor. He didn't have a shot. He wasn't a threat on O to score if he was outside of 10 feet and because he didn't have a handle, he wasn't a threat to take it to the rack. I'm not confusing him with anyone else. He was and is a good defensive player and rebounder at the 4 spot. He did ok at the 5 for us until he had to play against physical players and then he was bullied. I like Maliq and wish that he had stayed but he was such a liability on O that we just couldn't afford to have him in a starting forward position next season.
I don't think this is as outrageous as others do. Maliq was very very limited on offense, to say the least. He was a high IQ player, but you couldn't put the ball in his hands and say, "go get a bucket." He didn't have low post moves, he wasn't a threat off the dribble, he couldn't create his own shot at any level, but he had a good motor and because he played smart And with a good motor got some points.

I don't think this is as outrageous as others do. Maliq was very very limited on offense, to say the least. He was a high IQ player, but you couldn't put the ball in his hands and say, "go get a bucket." He didn't have low post moves, he wasn't a threat off the dribble, he couldn't create his own shot at any level, but he had a good motor and because he played smart And with a good motor got some points.
That's a fair point. I think so many of us loved Maliq because he just seemed to always do the right thing. That said, he isn't the kind of player who could take over a game because he didn't have that in his offense. Really good player and hated (really hated) to lose him but we can very well excel next year without the dude.

But he didn’t want to be here next year, so it doesn’t matter. The coaches didn’t run him off. It seems like he ran himself off. Why would he do that if he felt he could earn quality minutes next season? He didn’t want to play center, so Red got Lampkin. Did he not want to split time with Freeman and Bell? He did a great job for us last year and definitely has a high IQ for the game, and we’ll miss his defense. He would have been first guy off the bench for us. Guess that wasn’t enough for him. I just don’t see his options for playing time improving next season at Duke. He’ll play, but he’s in a battle with a bunch of guys that bring more to the table in terms of scoring ability, and if any of the young guys catch fire, he’s only playing spot minutes.

Again, I don’t see why everyone is arguing about a player that obviously thinks the grass is greener on the other side. Maybe he’s making a few more $$$ with Duke? Maybe he wanted to be closer to home? Maybe he didn’t like seeing his friends get pushed out. Guess we’ll never know. Good luck to him, but I agree with Niastri. He has an uphill battle coming for playing time. Choosing Duke is a head scratcher if he really wanted to start and play big minutes.

Because he got tired of the dysfunction?

Or perhaps because he wanted to play on a winning team and taste the NCAA tournament, after missing out his first two years?

This notion that he transferred out because he was scared of competing for PT is bunk, in my opinion.

As to my post I agree with the black hole comment. Poor choice on my part. To be clear I was a big fan of Maliq which is evident if you read any of my in season game post.
Maliq stood out for his unselfish play on a team that had issues. I do know basketball. Played it my entire life and still play today. Played in college and have followed SU since I was about 10.
As to Maliq he simply wasn't a threat on offense which is why he was a liability on O.
Not at the 5 position but at the forward position which is the position I'm using as a comparison between him and the portal player. I hope Maliq develops his handle and shot at Duke and has a good year other than against us.

Maliq never put the ball on the floor. He didn't have a shot. He wasn't a threat on O to score if he was outside of 10 feet and because he didn't have a handle, he wasn't a threat to take it to the rack. I'm not confusing him with anyone else. He was and is a good defensive player and rebounder at the 4 spot. He did ok at the 5 for us until he had to play against physical players and then he was bullied. I like Maliq and wish that he had stayed but he was such a liability on O that we just couldn't afford to have him in a starting forward position next season.
We’ve had much worse offensive liabilities at his position.

As to my post I agree with the black hole comment. Poor choice on my part. To be clear I was a big fan of Maliq which is evident if you read any of my in season game post.
Maliq stood out for his unselfish play on a team that had issues. I do know basketball. Played it my entire life and still play today. Played in college and have followed SU since I was about 10.
As to Maliq he simply wasn't a threat on offense which is why he was a liability on O.
Not at the 5 position but at the forward position which is the position I'm using as a comparison between him and the portal player. I hope Maliq develops his handle and shot at Duke and has a good year other than against us.
I don’t think you know what liability means. Justin Taylor and Benny Williams were liabilities. Maliq Brown was not.

What irritates me about Maliq leaving is that he was a 3-star kid who didn’t play in the top level AAU circuit and probably would have played at a mid-major in college. But we recruited him and took a chance on him and helped him develop, gave him lots of playing time as a freshman, and even made him a focal point of what we wanted to do on offense and defense this past year, but then he bolts for the evil empire of Duke.

Jyare Davis will have to make the transition from being a key offensive cog at Delaware to being a glue guy who does all the little things, including rebounding and playing great D, in his role at Syracuse. I hope he’s able to do that and help us win. Watching his film, it feels like he can fill that role.

Or perhaps because he wanted to play on a winning team and taste the NCAA tournament, after missing out his first two years?

This notion that he transferred out because he was scared of competing for PT is bunk, in my opinion.

A senior Maliq with a sophomore Donnie and a freshman Sadiq would have been an interesting front line.

That's a fair point. I think so many of us loved Maliq because he just seemed to always do the right thing. That said, he isn't the kind of player who could take over a game because he didn't have that in his offense. Really good player and hated (really hated) to lose him but we can very well excel next year without the dude.
That's why when Steve mentioned he was a good passer, I mentioned DC, and Billy.
Either one would have made them a good team, because a lot of passes Brown made they would have taken the shot.
Or they would have driven to the basket, and scored.
Brown was not a threat to score from 10 to 15 feet, or to put the ball on the floor and drive.

What irritates me about Maliq leaving is that he was a 3-star kid who didn’t play in the top level AAU circuit and probably would have played at a mid-major in college. But we recruited him and took a chance on him and helped him develop, gave him lots of playing time as a freshman, and even made him a focal point of what we wanted to do on offense and defense this past year, but then he bolts for the evil empire of Duke.
I understand how that's frustrating, but I can't ever get upset about a guy outplaying his recruiting ranking.

I haven't heard anyone disagree with anything except the "liability" word (much less consider kcsu's take outrageous).

And calling him a liability has to do with how good a team you've got. Not everyone has to be a "go to" guy on offense, but if you want a team that's unstoppable, then yeah, you need every guy on the floor to be able to create their own opportunities.

I think it was for a change of scenery, IMHO (and the $$ and proximity to home probably helped). His best friend was encouraged to transfer, and over half the team was turning over. I can see him thinking that if he was starting over, he might as well do it somewhere else. By choosing Duke I think he accepted that he’d be competing for time there as much as he would here. If he wanted to start day one and not be challenged, he would have gone to a place like Clemson, VaTech or UVA. Can’t say I blame him for bolting after the train wreck of a locker room we had last year.

I think it was for a change of scenery, IMHO (and the $$ and proximity to home probably helped). His best friend was encouraged to transfer, and over half the team was turning over. I can see him thinking that if he was starting over, he might as well do it somewhere else. By choosing Duke I think he accepted that he’d be competing for time there as much as he would here. If he wanted to start day one and not be challenged, he would have gone to a place like Clemson, VaTech or UVA. Can’t say I blame him for bolting after the train wreck of a locker room we had last year.
I imagine too that losing the coach who recruited him, GMac, didn’t help either. He entered the transfer portal within a few days after GMac was announced as the new coach at Siena. MaliQ had a great game when we played at Duke with 26 points on 11-16 shooting including 1 for 2 from the 3 point line and 7 rebounds. Obviously Duke had him on their radar.

I understand how that's frustrating, but I can't ever get upset about a guy outplaying his recruiting ranking.
Of course. And I’m happy for him that’s he’s succeeded and is a kid who’s easy to root for. But our coaches helped him develop and gave him a shot both coming out of high school and in his freshman and sophomore years. Maybe if we had more NIL, we could have kept him. He was the biggest loss of the offseason. I wish we could find more of these diamonds in the rough glue guys coming out of high school or in the portal. I hope Davis can fill that role.

Jyare Davis will have to make the transition from being a key offensive cog at Delaware to being a glue guy who does all the little things, including rebounding and playing great D, in his role at Syracuse. I hope he’s able to do that and help us win. Watching his film, it feels like he can fill that role.
this is speculation

the pecking order will be unpredictable ...least I hope so

last season, there were some aspects of the rotation and playing time that seemed kinda pre-decided

i hope whomever gets the playing tme...is the players that earn it

and I hope the coaches leave it up to the players to sort it out on the court

there's a chance davis could be a big player next year...that might not be a bad thing, either...or he could also be a "glue guy" too

Last edited:
this is speculation

the pecking order will be unpredictable ...least I hope so

last season, there were some aspects of the rotation and playing time that seemed kinda pre-decided

i hope whomever gets the playing tme...is the players that will play

and I hope the coaches leave it up to the players to sort it out on the court

there's a chance davis could be a big player next year...that might not be a bad thing, either...or he could also be a "glue guy" too
That’s brilliant stuff